UKC

Borat 2 and Trump books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi 

Who has seen Borat 2: Subsequential Movie?

What do people think of the film?

IMHO, I don't think it is as good as the first but there are some very funny parts olin tht film.

On a slightly different who has read any of the books on Donald Trump?

Are they any good? Which one, if any, do you recommend? 

MS

nufkin 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

>  Which one, if any, do you recommend?

I haven't read them, but Bob Woodward's books are probably where I'd start.

On the other hand, it might be better, now he's sauntered off towards the sunset, to hope that he just shuts himself off in Mar-a-Lago and save your intellectual energy for something/someone more worthy

In reply to nufkin:

> I haven't read them, but Bob Woodward's books are probably where I'd start.

I have read good things on both Fear and Rage on Amazon. 

> On the other hand, it might be better, now he's sauntered off towards the sunset, to hope that he just shuts himself off in Mar-a-Lago and save your intellectual energy for something/someone more worthy

At the moment, I am reading the Owen Jones book about Jeremy Corbyn.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/this-land/owen-jones/9780241470947

On Trump staying in Mar a Lago - Too Right! 

Let us hope he can not run for POTUS in 2024.

MS

Iamgregp 26 Jan 2021

I've read a few of them, definitely the best is Fire and The Fury by Michael Wolff.  

Fear by Bob Woodward isn't bad, and Siege (Wolff again) is pretty good, but for sheer pace and amazing anecdotes Fire and The Fury is where you want to start.

Unfortunately I gave my copy of F&F away, otherwise I'd drop it in the post for you.  Probably pretty cheap on Amazon marketplace though...

Post edited at 16:49
In reply to Iamgregp:

> I've read a few of them, definitely the best is Fire and The Fury by Michael Wolff.  

Hi Greg. 

Is this the book you recommend?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_and_Fury

MS

No one has said anything about Borat 2!

I've read Bob Woodward's books and would say they are definately worth a read. Not read F&F yet so can't recommend one over the other. Too Much and Never Enough by Mary Trump is supposed to be a good read as well and is on my to read list at some point.

> No one has said anything about Borat 2!

Same old formulaic cringe comedy. Baron Cohen is good at what he does Johnson should appoint him as environment minister he is so good at recycling. 

Interestingly I simultaneously watched it with a friend from Eastern Europe who found the comedy difficult to understand. I felt quite ashamed of the film I had chosen. 

Iamgregp 27 Jan 2021

Yep, that’s the one!

Jon Stewart 27 Jan 2021

> No one has said anything about Borat 2!

I actually didn't get to the end of it. Not because it's bad - it's very good - but I really wasn't enjoying it. I guess maybe it's "type 2 fun" because when I remember the most horrifying moments I find them hilarious. But I was not laughing at the time, I was watching through my fingers, squirming. 

Post edited at 12:07
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Same old formulaic cringe comedy. Baron Cohen is good at what he does Johnson should appoint him as environment minister he is so good at recycling.

Hi PW.

He is very good at what he does. Too right! Defo, Johnson should appoint him as his environment minister. 

> Interestingly I simultaneously watched it with a friend from Eastern Europe who found the comedy difficult to understand. I felt quite ashamed of the film I had chosen. 

IMHO, I think some Eastern Europeans might find it offensive.

MS

StefanB 27 Jan 2021

> Same old formulaic cringe comedy. Baron Cohen is good at what he does Johnson should appoint him as environment minister he is so good at recycling. 

That's what I thought until I saw The Spy. Didn't recognize him at first. 

Lankyman 27 Jan 2021

> Interestingly I simultaneously watched it with a friend from Eastern Europe who found the comedy difficult to understand. I felt quite ashamed of the film I had chosen. 

Why would it bother an Eastern European? Borat is a Kazakh and they're further away from Eastern Europe than we are. Kazakhstan is in Central Asia.

In reply to Jon Stewart

> I actually didn't get to the end of it. Not because it's bad - it's very good - but I really wasn't enjoying it. I guess maybe it's "type 2 fun" because when I remember the most horrifying moments I find them hilarious. But I was not laughing at the time, I was watching through my fingers, squirming. 

Hi Jon. 

I have seen all the way through and I think I am the same - I didn't watch it though my fingers though nor did I squirm.

Tbh, I think I will watch it again.

MS

Post edited at 14:55
In reply to Lankyman:

My friend did not find it offensive as an Easterner, but found it difficult to deal with the topics/cringe humour having had no exposure to it before. Kept asking is all British humour like this.

In reply to StefanB:

I haven't seen The Spy but I saw The Dictator.

Post edited at 01:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...