UKC

Brilliant documentaries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 10 Dec 2017
In the last couple of weeks I've watched Sour Grapes, which is really entertaining and a very well told story, and What Happened Miss Simone, which as a big fan is one of the most moving and meaningful films I've ever seen. One of my all time favourite films is Banksy's work of genius, Exit Through The Giftshop.

What other documentaries are there out there that attain this level of superlative quality?
 MonkeyPuzzle 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Loved Sour Grapes. The guy was clearly talented and shows up the "high wine" world as at least 50% guff.

The Act of Killing. Former Indonesian anti-communist death squad members are asked to recreate scenes of their killings but filmed in different genre styles ('50s gangster, musical etc.) in an attempt to get them to confront the reality of what they'd done. Bonkers concept but effecting in the extreme.

Dear Zachary. Filmmaker makes tribute to his murdered friend for his young son, but the custody battle during his filmmaking overtakes the original idea behind the film. Devastating but beautiful.

Vietnam. Ten part documentary (still on iPlayer I think) with interviews from all sides of the war (north and south Vietnamese, American GIs, politicians, anti-war protesters and Vietnamese civilians). Basically a history of occupation of Vietnam since the French and a condemnation of corrupt politics West and East. Brilliant.

Jim and Andy. Jim Carrey's performance as Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon was filmed extensively behind the scenes. Carrey insisted on being in character 100% of the time and wouldn't answer to Jim, only Andy. Nuts but enjoyable, whether you like Carrey or Kaufman.
 Blue Straggler 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> What other documentaries are there out there that attain this level of superlative quality?

Not having seen Sour Grapes or Exit Through the Gift Shop, I can't answer your question for sure.

However, a documentary feature that I think is worthy of anyone's time, is Werner Herzog's "Into the Abyss", a study of the capital punishment system, treated in Herzog's typical non-opinionated, non-biased "outside observer" manner.
It almost brought me to tears, which is no small feat given that I generally have a heart of stone.

(I also think The Act of Killing is great, but I might be biased on that one due to vague family connections to the events it talks about)

Stichtplate 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Werner Herzog's Little Dieter Needs To Fly. A fair bit of artistic license employed but excellent all the same.

Wisconsin Death Trip. As much art as documentary. Quirky and weirdly affecting.

Searching For The Wrong Eyed Jesus. Musical road trip through the Cajun South. More than a touch of Southern Gothic to it. Very funny and with some great musicians.
 1poundSOCKS 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Not seen the ones you mention so can't really compare, however...

I thought "The Fog of War" by Errol Morris was excellent. His older stuff is good too, such as "The Thin Blue Line".

"Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hills" is a pretty hard watch at times due to the subject matter, but I thought it was excellent.
 plyometrics 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I’m not into watching TV, but was captivated by Bryan Fogel’s ‘Icarus’.
In reply to Jon Stewart:
The Story of Anvil - Netflix

Brilliant rockumentary about a real (hard to believe at times because it's so similar to Spinal Tap, partly on purpose) ageing Canadian metal band that never quite made it. I found it very heart warming and life affirming.

13th (also Netflix) is very good as well
Post edited at 10:31
 Ramblin dave 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I really enjoyed Oil City Confidential, Julien Temple's film about Dr Feelgood. Before I watched it I wasn't particularly into Dr Feelgood, and to be honest, after watching it I still wasn't particularly into Dr Feelgood, but it's a great, complex, funny, affecting documentary about 70s Britain and boys in bands.

Also on the musical side of things, I recently really enjoyed The Ballad of Shirley Collins, which is sort of about Shirley Collins - her song-collecting trip through the deep south with Alan Lomax in the 50s and her recent rediscovery of her own singing voice after losing it thirty years ago in the fallout of a traumatic breakup - but also indirectly about the landscape and folk traditions of her Sussex home.
 krikoman 11 Dec 2017
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Vietnam. Ten part documentary (still on iPlayer I think) with interviews from all sides of the war (north and south Vietnamese, American GIs, politicians, anti-war protesters and Vietnamese civilians). Basically a history of occupation of Vietnam since the French and a condemnation of corrupt politics West and East. Brilliant.

I'd second Vietnam, which is being repeated on BBC 4 at present.

Just about any Storyville, is great.

Louis Theroux, stuff in America has been an eye-opener.

Light relief (Ooo Ur Missus) Ben Fogle

1poundSOCKS 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> 13th (also Netflix) is very good as well

Agreed, that was good. And you reminded me about "Betting on Zero", also on Netflix.
 Fraser 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

One of the best I've seen in the past few years was 'The Palio', all about the Siena horse race of the same name.

Trailer here:

youtube.com/watch?v=K89cDiRmVDQ&

There was a thread about it on here at the time, but it's worth watching ... several times over. Beautiful cinematography and a fascinating story about the history and politics of the race as well as the contemporary participants.
 Flinticus 11 Dec 2017
In reply to krikoman:
New Lives in the Wild: highly watchable light documentary series. Full of inspiring people and great locations. And for the ladies and some gents, Ben gets his shirt off usually once an episode and sometimes down to his boxers, whether due to working in the tropics, bathing in rivers or soaking in hub tubs with a fit hardcore stone age woman under the stars.
Post edited at 13:52
 1poundSOCKS 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Just remembered one of my favourites is "Los Angeles Plays Itself", the history of Los Angeles and how it's interwoven into L.A. films. Not sure where I saw it now.

And "Searching for Sugar Man". Ideally watch it without knowing anything about it.
Post edited at 14:10
 HansStuttgart 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The salt of the earth
About the brazilian photographer Sebastião Salgado

Regen
1929 documentary about rain in a dutch city. (I did see it with live music, though)

krikoman 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

This has been fantastic too, wide ranging and very moving.

Blitz: The Bombs That Changed Britain

The Glasgow one was particularly so.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Pretty much anything by Adam Curtis - Hypernormalization & Bitter Lake being the two most well known.

Good thread.

Oh, and "Good Hair" by Chris Rock which is all about the politics of hair in the black community - fascinating and funny.
 kingborris 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The Coconut Revolution always sticks in my mind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coconut_Revolution
 snoop6060 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:
The one about The National made by the fellas brother. Admittedly the sort of band that David Cameron probably listens to but it's not about that and certainly you don't need to have heard of them.

Edit... This: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mistaken_for_strangers/
Post edited at 15:45
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Anything by Adam Curtis or Werner Herzog (esp. White Diamond). One Day in September, Looking for Sugarman
 Flinticus 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

There's also a great documentary series fly on the wall style following the crew of a starship flung into deep space trying to find their way back to earth. Fascinating.
OP Jon Stewart 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> Pretty much anything by Adam Curtis - Hypernormalization & Bitter Lake being the two most well known.

Agree they're excellent, but I can't watch any Adam Curtis after the moment I saw this:

youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg&
In reply to all:

Thanks for all these, and keep them coming. Looks like loads of fascinating stuff here, I'll keep coming back to this thread for years!

Has anyone seen that one Dig! about Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warholes? I'm not very interested in the music, but it's a great film.

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Not having seen Exit Through the Gift Shop

What!??
 8A machine elf 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Guzman's The Battle Of Chile shows the levels of class consciousness of the Chilean people in the 1970's.
Battle Of Algiers is very good as is State Of Siege.
 sg 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Agree they're excellent, but I can't watch any Adam Curtis after the moment I saw this:

Yes, great thread that I'll try to come back to at Xmas.
However, I suspect none of these films will make me LOL as quickly as re-watching that mockucollageumentary just now. Even if you've only seen one of Curtis's films it's hilarious but much better after you're fully au fait with his oeuvre. Spoiler alert: watch at least one film first!
Removed User 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Are you sure Exit Through The Gift Shop is factual? It is brilliant though and doesn't really matter how much of it is actually real.
 Danm79 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

"Precinct 75" (also on Netflix) Really compelling story of a bent New York cop - highly recommended.
 Blue Straggler 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> Oh, and "Good Hair" by Chris Rock which is all about the politics of hair in the black community - fascinating and funny.

Yes! There are some parts in that, regarding the financial outlay, that made me think that some of those women must be spending about ALL of their disposable income on hair stuff.

andymac 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Where to start.

Ben Macintyre is always worth a watch .and the Eddie Chapman life story was brilliant.

His Philby documentary was arguably even better and,an absolute education .

Have also watched the Operation Mincemeat documentary several times now.

One of the most entertaining I've seen in recent years was 'Beware of Mr Baker' ; Ginger was 'interesting' to say the least .

Postmanpat 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Ken Burns "The Civil War". (American)

The introduction sets the scene and tone " youtube.com/watch?v=FN2huQB-DmE&" A great work of history and historical analysis.
 bouldery bits 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Inventing the Indian with Rich Hall.

Pete Dangerous 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Herb and Dorothy was really good if you like a bit of modern art.
Removed User 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The Death of Yugoslavia, a brilliant BBC doc and on youtube, albeit in poor quality.

Decadence and Downfall. Storyville doc about the Shah of Iran. Essential and quite mind boggling viewing if you want to understand why the revolution happened.

If you fancy a couple of illuminating docs on famous American psychopathic bullies and liars: You've been Trumped, and The Armstrong Lie.

The Artist Formerly Known as Captain Beefheart.
vimeo.com/34419152

Anything that David Attenborough has been anywhere near, obviously.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Just watched Sour Grapes, really enjoyed it...cheers for the pointer Jon!
 SV 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I loved 'The race that eats its young' - about a long distance race in the US.

And City of Ghosts- utterly distressing and harrowing film about Raqqa after Isis moved in.
 Stichtplate 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:
>
> Has anyone seen that one Dig! about Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warholes? I'm not very interested in the music, but it's a great film.

I'd love to see a sequel where BJM tambourine man and Happy Mondays Bez form a super group.
 Big Ger 12 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Another person who has not seen the doco you refer to, but this one always raises a tear with me

youtube.com/watch?v=yeIX0VnUMKo&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...