UKC

Chris de Burgh appreciation thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 14 Nov 2018

Whenever Ive heard Chris de Burgh mentioned, it always seems followed by some comment about Lady in Red, which for me is one of his worse ones, anyway here are my favourites and hopefully there will be some you enjoy anew. (I also like Radiohead, Iron Maiden, Dolly Parton, Beastie boys just to keep things interesting). Please share your thoughts and any of his songs you particularly like.

Spanish Train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFeftM8kGCo&list=PL424F4661B016583D

Patricia the stripper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82NIMPvJYHE&list=PL424F4661B016583D&...

A Spaceman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By9128_X_bQ&list=PL424F4661B016583D&...

Just another poor boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlNA9ADMK_Q&list=PL424F4661B016583D&...

Crusader: the fall of Jerusalem

youtube.com/watch?v=LzZaQJKFqQo&

The Traveller

youtube.com/watch?v=m95Agt2DWlI&

Don't pay the ferryman

youtube.com/watch?v=Zs-23ALB_Tw&

Snows of New York

youtube.com/watch?v=9yrignQbZkc&

Man on the line

youtube.com/watch?v=xCvh02narI0&

Lebanese night

youtube.com/watch?v=pCOC0XqWWlE&

Heart of darkness

youtube.com/watch?v=mR9xeGdbK0U&

DaveHK 14 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

There's already a cheese thread...

pasbury 14 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

They're all utter shit.

Fruitbat 14 Nov 2018
In reply to pasbury:

> They're all utter shit.

Don't sit on the fence.

Got any Spandau Ballet?

In reply to The Potato:

The getaway

youtube.com/watch?v=BMtyPjQypyQ&

Man on the line

youtube.com/watch?v=xCvh02narI0&

I saw him when I was about 15-16 years old at the NEC for the power of ten tour.  

I was brought up listening to lots of the early stuff.  Not followed him since then but the early albums are class . 

You should try listening to some of Brandon Flowers (of the killers) solo work.  

I think there is definitely some De Burgh similarly to his style of storytelling songwriting although with a much more modern sound.  

I'll have to go listen to some of the classics now on YouTube.   

In reply to The Potato:

The whole of  the "eastern wind" album is superb. 

Them where the days .

Quality 

toad 14 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

Hmm. Think i have an album with the crusader song on it somewhere. Haven't played it in decades

In reply to DaveHK:

Goes well with potato though

DaveHK 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:

> Goes well with potato though

And perhaps a glass of Burghundy? 

bouldery bits 14 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

I kike that Christmas one about Jesus being from Uranus or something.

wintertree 14 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

First and last man by Ralph McTell strikes me as more worthy of such a thread.

Tom Valentine 15 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

You won't get much joy on here. Just a predictable bout of sneering,

But I think it's worth pointing out that when Larry Adler put together his celebratory Gershwin CD ( sorry if the names Adler and Gershwin are unfamiliar to some of you) he chose De Burgh to sing "Do What You Do", for me the best song and rendition on the record.

In reply to Tom Valentine:

> You won't get much joy on here. Just a predictable bout of sneering,

Agreed .  

However I'm not prepared to be ashamed of myself for liking what I consider some very good music.  

I am what I am and like what I like.  I've a very wide taste in music so the fact I like some old De Burgh records and some people don't like that is fairly laughable.  

But then this is UKC

Steve Perry 15 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

His daughter is fit as!

deepsoup 15 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

I was there about 20 odd years ago when he was getting ready to do a gig in the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool and did a brief soundcheck in the afternoon while the cathedral was still open to the public.  Afterwards he was mobbed by a little group of (mostly) pensioners, spent ages chatting, signing autographs, posing for photos etc. with them and was unfailingly patient, kind and good-humoured throughout.

His music does nothing for me really, but he did strike me that day as a really good egg.  Respect.

McHeath 15 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

Wow, that takes me back! Three friends and I drove a 50s truck through the Sahara in 1980, and the only two cassettes we had were "Spanish Train" and "Year of the cat". Never listened to Chris de Burgh since.

GravitySucks 15 Nov 2018
In reply to McHeath:

> Never listened to Chris de Burgh since.

What about Al Stewart 

Babika 15 Nov 2018
In reply to GravitySucks:

There's a name I haven't heard for about 100 years. I once owned an album.....:o

wercat 15 Nov 2018
 McHeath 15 Nov 2018

Nope!

OP The Potato 15 Nov 2018

You people are weird, why click on a link to something you dont like then click dislike? Do you have nothing better to do

pasbury 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Fruitbat:

Confession time; I didn’t actually listen to all of the tracks in the OP. I knew a few and didn’t need to endure them again. I felt a bit guilty about that so tried the ones I hadn’t heard before.

Boy was I right, Chris de Burgh is bloody awful.

The Lemming 16 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

> You people are weird, why click on a link to something you dont like then click dislike? Do you have nothing better to do

I think they only do this if the person's pseudo begins with "The" such as The Potato.

In reply to The Potato:

> You people are weird, why click on a link to something you dont like then click dislike? Do you have nothing better to do

Perhaps they didn't know and then clicked dislike?

Dave Garnett 16 Nov 2018

> What about Al Stewart 

I like the occasional CdB track - the less syrupy ones but I couldn't listen to him all day. 

I would say Al Stewart is in a different class.  Year of the Cat is one of the best songs ever written.  Roads to Moscow is intelligent and original and an unlikely subject for a pop song.

GravitySucks 16 Nov 2018
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I'll have to admit that Al Stewart is a bit of a guilty secret of mine, as you say, he writes an interesting song, many of which have the uncanny knack of boring into your brain, earworm style I am also a sucker for spanish/clasical guitar, so Peter White's contributions on tracks like 'On The Border' and 'Roads to Moscow' are mesmerising.

toad 16 Nov 2018

Saw him at Cropredy last year. Still in very good voice, though he delegates a lot of the guitar to David Nachmanov (sp?) Now. Roads to moscow and Nostradamus are still personal faves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...