UKC

Chrissie Hynde / The Pretenders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 04 Jun 2021

For too long I have been sort of avoiding Chrissie Hyde for totally irrational and churlish reasons based around a few out-of-context soundbites from journalists using her as an easy target, and a couple of quotes from the lady herself. Over the past few years I have, happily, got over all this silliness and learned to appreciate her talent. 

BUT
Where does one start? Which are the key records? There's, what, 43 years of material? I don't want to just get "The Pretenders Greatest Hits"! 

graeme jackson 04 Jun 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I'd go for 'Get Close' purely on the basis that T.M. Stephens is on bass. 

In reply to graeme jackson:

is that a good reason? where does Hynde fit in to this? 

Lankyman 04 Jun 2021

I have Pretenders, Pretenders 2 and Get Close. All full of great pop and rock songs. I'd also recommend Chrissy Hyndes' autobiography. She has a very interesting history.

In reply to Lankyman:

> I have Pretenders, Pretenders 2 and Get Close. All full of great pop and rock songs. I'd also recommend Chrissy Hyndes' autobiography. She has a very interesting history.

I just read Steve Jones’ autobiography where Chrissie Hynde features prominently, proper rock and roll. Fender brought out a reissue of her Telecaster in the Artist Series, so proper credibility as a guitarist too.

graeme jackson 04 Jun 2021

> where does Hynde fit in to this? 

No idea. I'm just a big T.M. fan

edit. a big enough fan to realise I spelled Stevens wrong on my early post . hah!

Post edited at 10:20
 Lankyman 04 Jun 2021
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> I just read Steve Jones’ autobiography where Chrissie Hynde features prominently, proper rock and roll. Fender brought out a reissue of her Telecaster in the Artist Series, so proper credibility as a guitarist too.

Yes. Jones' story is most interesting too. I think he wanted to be Jimmy Page all along. A great rock and roller and very honest about his youth. Of

upordown 04 Jun 2021

I don't know enough to recommend particular key records but, whatever you get, it's also worth listening to The Isle of View. It's a live acoustic album with Chrissie Hynde backed by the Duke Quartet (a contemporary string quartet). They play many of the classic Pretenders tracks but arranged differently and I think it showcases CH's voice.

ericinbristol 04 Jun 2021

I had the great pleasure of seeing The Pretenders live at the University of Aberdeen in Feb 1980. Wonderful.

Cobra_Head 04 Jun 2021

Sadly she played Israel a couple of years ago, and I can't forgive her. Saw them in the 80 and the were great,

In reply to Cobra_Head:

> Sadly she played Israel a couple of years ago, and I can't forgive her. 

Yeah these things are tough. See the note in my OP about my having held a few things against her, for her actions and statements. Mine far more trivial than yours. I hope you can still enjoy the music at least. 

mike123 04 Jun 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler: she was on rad Mac last week and came across very well , she was talking about her album of Dylan covers and they played a couple of tracks , both of which were , imho , very good . She said , it seemed genuinely , of one of the tracks , “ hmmmm ..  that goes on a bit doesn’t it ?” 

In reply to mike123:

I heard that and yes she did come across very well, notably the bit you just highlighted! Also the new record sounded, as you say, pretty good. There is some serendipity going on here; I'd had no idea about that project, and similarly to what I say in my OP about Hynde, I am only now beginning to appreciate Dylan (bought a slightly tattered vinyl The Times They Are A Changing' a couple of weeks ago, a purchase that was itself made in ignorance of his 80th birthday!). 

Rare that an artist "complains" that their own recording is a bit long though  

In reply to upordown:

Thanks for this, (perhaps) weirdly I recall this release and my disgust at the absolutely terrible "pun" in the title but actually now that you've described it, it sounds right up my street! That voice, those songs, and no cheesy 1980s production  

> For too long I have been sort of avoiding Chrissie Hyde

Dear God, I just spotted this terrible typo. Sorry. 

Tom Valentine 05 Jun 2021
In reply to ericinbristol:

I'm not a particularly big fan but I do credit them with producing my favourite Christmas pop song.

Clauso 05 Jun 2021

I've always liked The Pretenders... Their stock only went higher when they employed James Walbourne on guitar duties. 

James is Kami's bloke. Kami is Richard Thompson's daughter. Kami and James play as The Rails, and they're ace.

Clauso 05 Jun 2021

The Rails. Pub Crawl:

Part 1:  youtube.com/watch?v=D2Su7Mg1gzU&

Part 2:  youtube.com/watch?v=PMA_MOcFGzo&

Clauso 05 Jun 2021
In reply to Clauso:

> The Rails. Pub Crawl:

Also, featuring Linda Thompson... As I've just realized, on watching it again for the first time in a while.

In reply to Lankyman:

> Yes. Jones' story is most interesting too. I think he wanted to be Jimmy Page all along. A great rock and roller and very honest about his youth. Of

Behind the facade, every guitarist wants to be Jeff, Eric, Jimmy, Jimi or Joe Pass 😂 

thanks all

Lankyman 06 Jun 2021
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> Behind the facade, every guitarist wants to be Jeff, Eric, Jimmy, Jimi or Joe Pass 😂 

I wanted to be an Eddie or an Alex. Could have been a contender if not for total lack of talent and skill. I was amazing on the air guitar.

Cobra_Head 07 Jun 2021

> Yeah these things are tough. See the note in my OP about my having held a few things against her, for her actions and statements. Mine far more trivial than yours. I hope you can still enjoy the music at least. 

It's weird and sounds a bit petty to be honest, but I tend not to, listen to them, much now. It's the same with Van Morrison, I've got a few of his albums, and I have to fight the urge to skip any of his music, lately.

Maybe it's getting older, I'm sure in the past I'd have got past the issue and still listened. I've not quite worked it out.

Strangely, I was never a big fan of Morrissey, but can still listen to him!! So I don't get it.

Cobra_Head 07 Jun 2021

> Dear God, I just spotted this terrible typo. Sorry. 

We're very forgiving, nowadays.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...