UKC

Christmas music suggestions...except

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 26 Nov 2017
What Christmassy music is out there?

I'm after suggestions that are not the obvious compilation fodder from the likes "Now That's What I call bla bla bal".

Noddy Holder, Paul McCartney, Wizard and Bing need not apply.

I'm after anything really from esoteric jazz, chamber music to electronic.

nathan79 26 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

If you fancy something mediaeval check out "Winter Carols" by Blackmore's Night. A mix of traditional songs and classic Carols in a renaissance style. I enjoy their stuff, my poor colleagues not so much.
 Blue Straggler 26 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

What was Paul McCartney's Christmas offering? My mind is a blank, I can't recall him having done one but I am happy to be reminded
In reply to The Lemming:

This
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child:_Music_for_the_Christmas_Season

I think you can get it for "free", making a donation of your choosing, at sheeba.ca
In reply to The Lemming:

On that Canadian theme, see also "The Christmas EP" by Mary Margaret O'Hara
 DamonRoberts 26 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Bad Religion's album Christmas Songs is a worth a listen, its rather amusing.
 Stichtplate 26 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
Christmas card from a hooker in Minneapolis. Tom Waits.
Christmas Day. Jim White.

Both wonderful tracks and a nice counterpoint to the usual saccharine Xmas pap. Also "Song for Jesse" from Nick Cave's soundtrack to "The assassination of Jesse James...", not specifically Christmas related but sounds very Christmassy to me.

Edit: Just had a quick look through your links Blue and none of my suggestions are in there, you mean spirited curmudgeon !
Post edited at 18:32
In reply to Stichtplate:

Not being mean-spirited - just helping The Lemming and also the good people of UKC with a one-stop shop post that can be used to check already-posted recommendations. Of course people can post more! Surprised that the Waits song hadn't already appeared. Are you sure? Some of those threads had people just posting YouTube links without stating what they were - did you check all of those?
Because I am not a big Tom Waits follower and the UKC forums are the only place where I've heard of that song. Possibly.
 Stichtplate 26 Nov 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Not being mean-spirited - just helping The Lemming and also the good people of UKC with a one-stop shop post that can be used to check already-posted recommendations. Of course people can post more! Surprised that the Waits song hadn't already appeared. Are you sure? Some of those threads had people just posting YouTube links without stating what they were - did you check all of those?

> Because I am not a big Tom Waits follower and the UKC forums are the only place where I've heard of that song. Possibly.

Apologies, assumed you were having a dig at the repetitive nature of Lemming’s annual Christmas post. Plus the word curmudgeon has always struck me as redolent of the season and I wanted to shoehorn it in.
You might be right on the Waits track, I only had a quick look through the links.
 graeme jackson 27 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Kate Rusby has several winter themed CDs out.
Been listening to 'Sweet Bells' and 'The frost is all over' the past couple of weeks and I knw that Mrs J has bought her latest - 'Angels and Men' to go in my stocking.

Lovely stuff
 Chris the Tall 27 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

My annual post of this classic xmas song/video

youtube.com/watch?v=BbL9Vsobx8I&
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> What was Paul McCartney's Christmas offering? My mind is a blank, I can't recall him having done one but I am happy to be reminded

Simply having a wonderful Christmas Time
The frog chorus
Pipes of peace.
 Blue Straggler 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Hannah S:

Well one out of three of those is Christmassy, thanks.
(yes yes I know the others did well in the charts around Christmas time and one of them even had a video depicting the First World War No Mans' Land Christmas truce)
OP The Lemming 27 Nov 2017
In reply to graeme jackson:

I shall check out Kate Rusby.

Cheers
In reply to The Lemming:

Some good suggestions and recommendations.

Much appreciated.

I love Christmas.
 ChrisBrooke 27 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

My favourite Christmas album is a country one, Tinsel Tunes from Sugar Hill: https://open.spotify.com/track/4vh3gGcW49L9LubiTQDDzo .

My favourite track is 'Bring A Torch, Jeanette Isabella,' by Chris Thile. The track that sent me down a whole bluegrass rabbit hole. Can't find it on YouTube, but it's on Spotify if you have that.
 felt 27 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

The White Album. None more festive.
In reply to Hannah S:

Nice to see you back.

In reply to The Lemming:

I lurk occasionally.

Would we class Mull of Kintyre as another macca christmas try?
 Darron 28 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming
youtube.com/watch?v=Dtcu5258rD4&

Have a go at this.
 mangoletse 28 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I definitely second 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' by the Vince Guaraldi Trio.

Also 'Tinsel and Lights' by Tracey Thorn.
 krikoman 28 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Cliff Richard, surely.

youtube.com/watch?v=B0zaDApGBbI&

Quite possibly the most irritating song EVER!!
cb294 28 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

There is only one valid answer:

J.S. Bach, Christmas Oratory, for maximum style points best in the Biller recording with the Thomaner boys' choir from his old church in Leipzig.

CB
In reply to The Lemming:
This is interesting
youtube.com/watch?v=a8qE6WQmNus&
 nufkin 28 Nov 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Low's Christmas EP is good, if you've not come across it before. One of the songs has had a bit of radio play over the past few years, but the rest remain elusive
 felt 07 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Just been reading about Can, and I discovered that those inimitable Krautrockers once did a version of Silent Night.

I googled it and I guess it's just what I expected ... in other words not at all what I expected.
youtube.com/watch?v=iInAuoio-pQ&

A nice motorik groove there.
 steveb2006 07 Dec 2017
In reply to felt:

yer that was worth a listen - cheers
 felt 07 Dec 2017
In reply to steveb2006:

Here's their Little of Star of Bethlehem, much more your traditional Can; really gets going at the end with some tremendous work by Jaki.
youtube.com/watch?v=--0kT_v13xs&
pasbury 07 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

A Christmas Gift For You from Phil Specter. If you can overlook the unsavoury history of the man.
 dread-i 07 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-xseEr0TPM&t=8s

Sounds remarkably choral.
 Tom Valentine 07 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

You might find the Halsway Schottische worth a listen.
It started off as a hurdy gurdy tune by Nigel Eaton and was then adapted to a carol .
Its main point of interest though is that there is a "thing" going on where people record their version of it on the most esoteric types of instrument as well as mainstream ones and submit them to the archive.
Catchy little tune in its own right, anyway.
 IM 07 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Something jazzy and very nice is by the brilliant jazz singer Kurt Elling, 'The Beautiful Day' (2016).

e.g. youtube.com/watch?v=uv5EA7Ouh0I&

Bob Kemp 07 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

There’s an interesting Spotify playlist on the Domino Records website with some less familiar stuff - at the bottom of this page: http://www.dominorecordco.com/dominoel/?utm_source=dec17.mailout_uk&utm...
(Sorry - you have to scroll through a load of ads for their acts first. But you don’t need Spotify to read the list. )
 aln 07 Dec 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> A Christmas Gift For You from Phil Specter. If you can overlook the unsavoury history of the man.

That's a great record. The cheesy message at the end, from the man himself really makes it.
 aln 07 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I haven't read the whole thread. Has anyone mentioned the Christmas album by Low? Brilliant stuff and a million miles away from Slade, Wizard etc.
OP The Lemming 15 Dec 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Just seen this. Can it compete with Crosby and Bowie?

youtube.com/watch?v=A3NYrJMSh88&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...