UKC

Climbing on TV - Alain Robert returns to channel 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zoobizooretta 11 Oct 2009
Alain Robert is known to the world as `The Human Spider' and is arguably the most daring climber the world has ever seen.

This film follows Alain over two years, bringing his story up to date with new, behind-the-scenes footage revealing his assault upon the one building that has eluded him time and again, the Petronas Towers in Malaysia. Watch Alain as he takes on the 88-storey edifice with just his bare hands, some chalk dust, and an awful lot of nerve.

Alain's attempts to 'free climb' up the outside of some of the world's tallest buildings and structures without any safety equipment have earned him a reputation as one of the world's greatest Daredevils.

Despite suffering from epilepsy and admitting to a fear of heights, Alain Robert has made headlines around the world with his unbelievable feats of daring. The 47-year-old husband and father-of-three has scaled skyscrapers such as the Jin Mao Tower in Shanghai, Berlin's Debis Tower, and the Federation Tower in Moscow, Europe's tallest building.

This heart-stopping documentary also features revealing interviews with Alain's family in an attempt to understand what motivates him to repeatedly risk his life.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/daredevils/episode-guide/series-4/episod...

Channel 4 Monday the 12th of October at 9pm
 mikeski 11 Oct 2009
In reply to zoobizooretta:

I'll watch it though I found him entirely dislikeable last time I saw him on channel 4
 DWilliamson 12 Oct 2009

I hear he's no slouch when it comes to climbing on rock either. Jugpulling on skyscrapers is certainly eyecatching, but I don't think it's as impressive as some of the other solos he's done...

youtube.com/watch?v=tPY0qkkViuk&
 rallymania 12 Oct 2009

thanks for the reminder, will watch that!
Yorkspud 12 Oct 2009

>
> This heart-stopping documentary also features revealing interviews with Alain's family in an attempt to understand what motivates him to repeatedly risk his life.

He's a berk?
 snoop6060 12 Oct 2009
In reply to Yorkspud:
> (In reply to zoobizooretta)
>
> [...]
>
>
> He's a berk?

He most certainly is.
OP zoobizooretta 12 Oct 2009
In reply to DWilliamson:

that's a pretty cool video. He's got a very strong head
 jon 12 Oct 2009

He's a bit in the Catherine Destivelle mould - he needs the public to adore him.
 mat098 12 Oct 2009
In reply to DWilliamson: Some of the comments, are brilliant...

mrarches (2 days ago)
no its true,chalk dust has the same effect as super glue,but you can still move your hands.
PowerIron1 (3 days ago)
mrarches. I really hope you are jokin'!
If he used super glue he would not be able to move his shoes and hands like what he are doing! He could not climb if he used super glue! Wake up buddy! Please wake up!
PowerIron1 (3 days ago)
This is awesome. His muscle tendons is not human lol. Average joe could only climb 2 meters or not even that high, before your tendons and muscles would hurt like h*ll!
What Alain Roberts are doing is incredible!
 Denni 12 Oct 2009
In reply to mat098:

Here he goes!!
jackcarr 12 Oct 2009

On now. Mental!
 stayfreejc 12 Oct 2009
In reply to zoobizooretta: It's impressive but it can't be anywhere near as hard as some of the rock climbs being soloed.
 iain_cbr 12 Oct 2009
In reply to zoobizooretta: This is a re-run of the programme on last year. I'm just waiting for the new addition bit, which I hope will be on soon!

The fella baffles me, but each to his own, I guess...

Me personally? I've got too much respect for my wife and daughter to risk my life that way, however calculated the risks. Climbing by it's nature is dangerous, but I use as much safety gear as I can to reduce the risk. This guy must just love the threat of it, that's all I can think of. Am i not getting it properly?!
 mikeski 12 Oct 2009

watched 20 minutes as there was nothing else on and got bored
 Mutl3y 12 Oct 2009
In reply to zoobizooretta: man this guy annoys the hell out of me.
OP zoobizooretta 12 Oct 2009
In reply to mikeski:

the last bit where he climbed round the ball at the top of the towers then stood on the ball at the top of the spike was pretty impressive.

If you've missed it, watch the last 5 minutes on channel 4 + 1
 Scarab 12 Oct 2009

Spot on. Ive seen the first part before but the addon is great. The overhang looked really cool.

What he does is very different in action, but I guess it gives him the same mental reward it that it gives the rest of us. I think its amazing...
 anonymouse 13 Oct 2009
In reply to mikeski:
> watched 20 minutes as there was nothing else on and got bored
I got a bit annoyed by the zooming swooping camera and the intense music. I don't think the director understands climbing at all.
 Andy Hardy 13 Oct 2009

The most chilling bit for me was the one movie of his toddling son climbing the pipes in their bathroom. His expression when he turned to the camera at the end was a real choker.
 Andy Hardy 13 Oct 2009
In reply to 999thAndy: That should read "home movie"
 graeme jackson 13 Oct 2009
In reply to mikeski:
>
> watched 20 minutes as there was nothing else on and got bored

There was a top gear on Dave ja vu. And then on the new quest channel there was Jesse james is a dead man - attempting to ride a top fuel drag bike after 1 week of training - mental.

trouserburp 13 Oct 2009
In reply to anonymouse:
> I got a bit annoyed by the zooming swooping camera and the intense music. I don't think the director understands climbing at all.

Arguably the most daring climber in the world is making the most extreme climb and risking certain death. zoom, spin the camera, zoom

Actually, respect for the world-class strength and stamina but it's a lot safer than soloing up an unpredictable rock face. Also its very repetitive and I suspect he enjoys it less than climbing rock - before he gets all the kudos and attention. Should've shown the one where he got stuck and had to be rescued
 anonymouse 13 Oct 2009
In reply to trouserburp:
> Arguably the most daring climber in the world is making the most extreme climb and risking certain death. zoom, spin the camera, zoom
I liked to imagine that the pounding industrial music was the tune that Robert plays in his head as he methodically plods up these buildings, making the same repetitive movements four or five hundred times.
 JFort 13 Oct 2009
Yeah the first 50 mins or so seemed to be repeated but the last climb where he went right to the top and around that ball was pretty impressive.
However it did look monotonous and I'm sure solo climbing on rock would be a lot less predictable and dangerous, but you solo-ers are mad, learning to lead is scary enough for me!
 subalpine 13 Oct 2009
In reply to mikeski:
>
> I'll watch it though I found him entirely dislikeable last time I saw him on channel 4

yes, we know you did, but why?

trouserburp 13 Oct 2009
In reply to anonymouse:

In the final climb they skipped the first overhang near the ground as the cameraman whirled the camera around by its cables.

maybe the cameraman gave him a helpful nudge and they had to cover it up
DEvans 13 Oct 2009
In reply to jamiegoscote:
> (In reply to zoobizooretta) It's impressive but it can't be anywhere near as hard as some of the rock climbs being soloed.

he has soloed 8b before, infact about ten years ago.
he is a rock climber first but his job is to climb buildings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...