UKC

Dave Greenfield of the Stranglers RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cragtyke 04 May 2020

BBC News - Dave Greenfield: The Stranglers keyboard player dies at 71
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52537293

felt 04 May 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Terrible news, great musician. Fabulous fingers on No More Heroes title track.

pec 04 May 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Funny how the Stranglers were often thought of as part of the punk movement that was supposed to have swept aside the 'grandiose excesses' of the rock genre and then had a keyboard player who did 10 minute solos that wouldn't have been out of place in a prog band!

Anyway, I'm quite partial to a 10 minute keyboard solo and Dave played some great ones. Sorry to hear he fell victim to the virus.

Removed User 04 May 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

La Folie remains one of my favourite songs of all time. Especially weird when you understand what it is about.

Sad times, RIP, it seems we are starting to lose many of my musical influencers.

Andrew Lodge 04 May 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

The first band I saw live on the No More Heroes tour in 77.

Fabulous then and I still listen to them. A great shame, the keyboards and the bass made their sound what it was.

tomrainbow 05 May 2020
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

If only there were some routes named after Stranglers' songs.

OP cragtyke 05 May 2020
In reply to tomrainbow:

> If only there were some routes named after Stranglers' songs.

...put up by the UK's most prolific new router perhaps?

GravitySucks 05 May 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Our thoughts are with you ......... Gary

Just time for a spot of 'Down in the Sewer'

RIP Dave, you were awesome.

In reply to cragtyke:

Stranglers version of 'Walk on By' feature an amazing and rather intricate solo which i've always rather appreciated. I thought the news guy I heard last night nailed it by saying 'will probably be best remembered for one of the greatest  keyboard  moments ever: Golden Brown' (then played the relevant bit) So good.

Harry Jarvis 05 May 2020
In reply to pec:

> Funny how the Stranglers were often thought of as part of the punk movement that was supposed to have swept aside the 'grandiose excesses' of the rock genre and then had a keyboard player who did 10 minute solos that wouldn't have been out of place in a prog band!

And said he was most influenced by Jon Lord and Rick Wakeman - possibly as grandiose as it was possible to get. 

tomrainbow 05 May 2020
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

The band with the single biggest contribution to UK route names? How many can we get? I'll start off with:

Waiting for Themeninblack - Wintours Leap

Gary...you're not allowed to take part in this!

Skip 05 May 2020

Loads of "punk" bands were influenced by the rock musicians they claimed to hate.

"The Great Rock and Roll Swindle" was an incredibly apt title for a "punk" record as that was exactly what it was.

Jamie Wakeham 05 May 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

A great shame. We saw them a few months ago (supporting Alice Cooper - it was one hell of a gig) and they were really impressive.  

felt 05 May 2020

> possibly as grandiose as it was possible to get. 

Robert John Godfrey

nastyned 05 May 2020
In reply to felt:

> Robert John Godfrey

You've got a point there! 

Lankyman 05 May 2020
In reply to Skip:

> Loads of "punk" bands were influenced by the rock musicians they claimed to hate.

Have you read Steve Jones' autobiography, 'Lonely Boy'? Very interesting story and he deals with that myth. I think the hate thing was a publicity pose pushed onto the Pistols by Malcolm Maclaren. You could always tell that Jones was a good guitarist influenced by the hard rock greats of the recent past. I think he just wanted to be Jimmy Page going by his post-Pistols hair and clothes.

Skip 05 May 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I'll look into that cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...