UKC

Dido's Lament (not *that* Dido) - Annie Lennox

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepsoup 08 Jan 2021

A friend shared this on FB earlier.  It's worth putting headphones on for if the alternative is laptop speakers or your phone. 

Doesn't take very much just now admittedly, but I shed a tear listening to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=f3DFaIovZxc&

Matt Podd 08 Jan 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

That was really good, I enjoyed it and it brightened a dull day. Try the whole opera - Dido and Aeneas, by Purcell. Got some other lovely tunes.

In reply to deepsoup:

Absolutely superb. Thanks.

OP deepsoup 08 Jan 2021
In reply to Matt Podd:

Opera wouldn't normally be my cup of tea but thanks, I'll check it out.

hazeysunshine 09 Jan 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

Lovely version, thanks for sharing. I've now gone down a music rabbit hole looking for my favourite Mary Coughlan version.  But then I found this hauntingly beautiful version by Jeff Buckley

youtube.com/watch?v=sA5UAbl1OWY&

OP deepsoup 09 Jan 2021
In reply to hazeysunshine:

Wow.   I'm not sure what I was expecting from the Jeff Buckley one, but it wasn't that.

> I've now gone down a music rabbit hole looking for my favourite Mary Coughlan version.

Trying not to do that right now, but I also just had a quick listen to the Alison Moyet version and the one you were originally looking for (I think)..  youtube.com/watch?v=TzvD0sAY6A8&

Sean Kelly 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Matt Podd:

I have the whole opera on CD  but now my new car has no player. How annoying is this!

cb294 09 Jan 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

I found it a bit shit, to be honest.

I really like Annie Lennox for her pop stuff, but as for opera, enthusiastic amateur would be putting it kindly.

An excellent modern rendition would e.g. be Simone Kermes in the recording with Musica Aeterna under Theodor Currentzis (if you can tolerate her continental R's):

youtube.com/watch?v=Ae1IUPHxFzs&

CB

Welsh Kate 09 Jan 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

One of my former students introduced me to Annie Lennox' version, several years after I introduced my first years to Dido's lament as part of a lecture on the reception of classical culture in more recent times. I don't think any of them had heard it before I played it in class, but this particular student was particularly taken by it, and when he was completing his master's he sent me a link to the Annie Lennox one.

tbh I prefer a more traditional operatic version, and would rather listen to Lennox singing with the Eurythmics, but that's personal preference.

Tom Valentine 09 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

Nothing wrong with enthusiastic amateurs - that's who make up a very high percentage of the climbing community.

Any time a pop singer makes a foray into classical music either as a writer adapting a piece or a singer interpreting a song there will be a certain amount of sniffiness in the reception.

But that's not to say the product is inferior or shoddy in its own rights. I appreciate that this is not Annie Lennox trying to get one up on Dame Janet Baker and therefore judge/enjoy the piece on its own merits. 

Post edited at 22:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...