UKC

Dinosaur Jr

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 09 Oct 2021

One of the greatest indie grunge bands ever?

youtube.com/watch?v=CMjQVRWxbPI&

Anyone else?

Dave Todd 09 Oct 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

'Hand It Over' was the soundtrack to my life during my last years in London before moving to Sheffield 21 years ago.  Played endlessly as I traversed endlessly at Mile End.

In reply to Dave Todd:

I’ve heard there’s a film just come out. Will try and find it. Loved them. Played the tapes continuously driving to the Alps (with Buffalo Tom and Soundgarden and Loop and The Pixies and stuff ).  Bloody brilliant. 

cragtyke 09 Oct 2021

youtube.com/watch?v=qQAJlhf8c18&

Mascis and Ashetons play the Stooges.

What more do you want, Ed sh**ting Sheeran, Coldsh**tingplay, Queen??

I thought you meant Dinosaur Junior (7b) for a minute there! 

TobyA 09 Oct 2021

Bug and Freak Scene in particular saw me through sixth form, along with discovering Buffalo Tom. I got to see both band live in Glasgow a year or so later once I went to uni.

Are you going to go and see the film? Kermode on his and Mayo's film reviews last week said it was enjoyable even if you didn't know the band, which he didn't. So I imagine must be great for fans, although I admit I don't think I've heard much of their later stuff.

JB 09 Oct 2021

Yes! Love them. Got all their stuff. Seen them a few times. Even bought the J Mascis Jazzmaster guitar a few years ago...

n1ge 09 Oct 2021

One of my favourite bands. Love J's solo stuff too.

StuLade 09 Oct 2021

Thanks for the heads up! Had totally missed this was happening. Easily one of the greats from that era, and still releasing great stuff now.

Flinticus 09 Oct 2021

Freakscene (and Sonic Youth's Teenage Riot) were the songs that spoke to us as youth, forming a core part of my indentity.  I sill love them.

One of my favourite bands of all time. J. Mascis is such a brilliant guitar player.

Hardly a week goes by when I don't listen to something by Dinosaur Jr.

TobyA, as you said you had not heard too much of their later stuff. 3:40 onwards is my favourite piece of guitar playing in the whole history of music. 

youtube.com/watch?v=nB8PKWGeXpA&

Post edited at 20:53
 ChrisBrooke 09 Oct 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I'm also a big fan of Dinosaur Jr and Buffalo Tom. Happy days.

malky_c 09 Oct 2021

I thought they had got into a bit of a rut with their post-reformation stuff but their most recent album is one of their best. Highly recommended.

HakanT 10 Oct 2021

Funny story. A couple of weeks ago, I discovered that they are playing four nights at The Roundhouse in Camden October 22-25. I set my reminder for 10:00 the day tickets went on sale. Managed to score a pair for Saturday the 22nd right before they sold out. Hours later, I went to put the date in the calendar, only to discover that the Saturday of that week is the 23rd. I double-checked the tickets only to realise that I have tickets for October 22nd 2022.

dread-i 11 Oct 2021

Big fan of Bug and Freak Scene.

Ex gf was a massive fan of Sebadoh, was in their fan club and (snail) mailed Lou Barlow regularly. We hung out with them when they played Manchester. I was angling to get the job of their sound engineer on their tour supporting Nirvana. That didn't happen.

In reply to dread-i:

Great band Sebadoh.  Watched them at King Tuts.  Very skilled musicians.

DR 13 Oct 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Another plus 1 for Buffalo Tom - their Let Me Come Over album is a classic. They are still going too although Bill Janowitz has said an upcoming gig in Boston is their only one for the foreseeable future. I saw them in the 90's supporting The Wedding Present. Happy days...

J's guitar playing on this is my favourite Dinosaur Jr riffage - 2:50 in

youtube.com/watch?v=U5IYjAMBQzs& 

Aye,

Davie

ChrisBrooke 13 Oct 2021
In reply to DR:

> Another plus 1 for Buffalo Tom - their Let Me Come Over album is a classic. They are still going too although Bill Janowitz has said an upcoming gig in Boston is their only one for the foreseeable future. I saw them in the 90's supporting The Wedding Present. Happy days...

Damn, that was a good line-up! I listened to Seamonsters, Bizarro, and Take Fountain one after the other on my drive home yesterday.  Ears are a bit sore today, but it was worth it.

PaulJepson 13 Oct 2021

J Mascis is a massively underrated guitarist; his influence must be huge. He played on a Lemonheads album a good few years ago and I had previously wondered why I had liked it so much. 

A bit boring live though (I know that's kind of the thing with grungey shoe-gaze); I saw them about 10 years ago and he might have said 3 words all night. SO LOUD as well. 

kaiser 13 Oct 2021

Pond Song and Yeah We Know are my favs - both from Bug

Melodic but with that grit (not Grit)

kaiser 13 Oct 2021

From a 'loudersound' interview:

“Yeah,” nods Mascis. “We’re not happy and we’re not sure why. There’s nothing concrete that we could be pissed off about. There’s no war and we’re not starving or anything and we shouldn’t have any particular problems, but we’re still miserable somehow. I was kind of always envious of people who had more concrete problems cos at least they had some excuse – y’know like they were beaten as a child or something – but I’m still miserable and I had none.”

He was the original 'shoe-starer'

In reply to DR:

> Another plus 1 for Buffalo Tom - their Let Me Come Over album is a classic. They are still going too although Bill Janowitz has said an upcoming gig in Boston is their only one for the foreseeable future. I saw them in the 90's supporting The Wedding Present. Happy days...

I did too. Edinburgh.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...