UKC

Django Unchained

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Vaughany89 20 Jan 2013
Saw this the other day and thought it was excellent. Brilliantly written, fantastically acted and very, very brutal in some parts. Christoph Waltz' oscar nomination is very well deserved.
 dale1968 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Vaughany89: can't wait for it to come out on DVD..
 Tom Valentine 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Vaughany89:

And amusing in places
 goose299 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Vaughany89:
Another fantastic film by Tarantino!
 graeme jackson 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Vaughany89:
Does this movie have scenes of 'Sexual Violence'? Someone at work wants to go but her girlfriend won't go if it has disturbing 'rape' scenes.
 womblesi 24 Jan 2013
In reply to graeme jackson: No sexual violence scenes that I remember, it is very violent in places though.
 Mike Stretford 24 Jan 2013
In reply to graeme jackson: No. I couldn't watch parts of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', but was fine with Django.
 Mike Stretford 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Vaughany89: Yeah I thought it was good. He's got some stick for mixing humour, spoof, and a serious subject... but I think he did it well.
 Kemics 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Vaughany89:

Finally back closer to form. I might be able to forgive the last 3 terrible movies he's made now was so worried when he started his cameo as I was afraid he'd wreck it all with a terrible indulgent cameo...but fortunately not
 Milesy 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics:
> Finally back closer to form. I might be able to forgive the last 3 terrible movies he's made now

What ones? Inglourious was absolutely fantastic. I didnt like Death Proof much though.
 Kemics 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy:

I though Kill Bill 1+2 and Inglorious bastards were pretty poor films. The reason Inglorious bastards was so bad is that it was so close to being brilliant. But fell massively short at the last few hurdles. It ended up being a vehicle for Christopher Waltz's awesome performance. Which redeemed it somewhat...but as a whole film. I didn't think it was very good.
 Blue Straggler 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Vaughany89:

I give it 5.5/10. Poor pacing, no emotional investment in any of the principal characters. It scores some points for acting, for a bit of clever ambiguity of who the "bad guy(s)" was/were, and for trying to dispel the myth(?) that life as a slave on a wealthy plantation was in any comfortable.

For context, I think Tarantino, for all the flash and noise and bluster, is pretty masterful and that this is his first disappointment for me. I thought Inglourious Basterds was in many ways his high point, and that Reservoir Dogs was a key film in the overall history of American cinema.
 Kelcat 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Vaughany89: Kill Bill 1&2 are spectacularly good, would love to see them edited into the one movie he actually wanted to make.
 digby 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Vaughany89:

Near the beginning of the film they are in a bar. One of them goes behind the bar and pulls 2 beers, carefully filling the glasses to the brim and scooping off all the foam with a palette knife. The camera cuts back and he comes around holding the 2 glasses which now have a good 1" of head on them.
Django then takes a drink out of his glass and puts it down on the table, fuller than when it was handed to him.

Not that I'm obsessed with full pints or annoying films or anything.
I wish the Guardian hadn't given it 5 stars, then I wouldn't have gone to see it. I don't get, and don't like, Tarantino's reality shift.
 Edradour 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Vaughany89)
>
> and for trying to dispel the myth(?) that life as a slave on a wealthy plantation was in any comfortable.
>

Does anyone think this?
 jacobfinn 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Kemics: I don't get people who think Kill Bill 1 & 2 are poor films. Maybe people don't "get" Tarantino and his homage to different film genre. KB are two of my favourite films, but then I really like his work.
 Blue Straggler 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Edradour:
Sorry, I wasn't very clear (and it should have said "in any WAY comfortable".
What I meant to say was that there are some stories of how there were benevolent plantation owners who treated their slaves well, more like indentured workers, and that therefore it was a reasonably happy life. And maybe for some, it was. Yet not every "boss" could control his foremen etc, which we might be seeing when that girl is about to be beaten for breaking some eggs.
Steven in the film makes a comfortable life for himself, for sure - but at what cost?

etc. etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...