UKC

Echos by Nick Bullock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cuthbert 23 Jul 2013
I think this is an excellent book and well worth the money. Great tales contrasting his life as a prison officer and moving to become a full time climber. The second book will be very good also.

Moving straight from Echos to The Great Gatsby in the space of a day it became obvious that the quality of writing in a climbing book is much lower than a literary great but the story was more exciting.
Removed User 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: Excellent. I look foward to your GCSE treatise on Jane Eyre.
 snoop6060 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Are you comparing Nick Bullock to Fitzgerald. . Classic.

Actually I was thinking, the Moffs book is a bit like catcher in the rye, all that wondering around aimlessly. But then catcher in the rye didn't have pictures of the Verdon, I think that is what lets it down.
 robthered 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Yet, interestingly, both Bullock and Fitzgerald are critical of, and seek to highlight, the quintessential emptiness inherent in the modern condition, the flawed spirit of consumption, the perpetual triumph of style over substance and the relation between self identity and mass culture society. Both hold a mirror up to the character of the society in which they write and, essentially, question what it is that makes us happy whilst, at the same time, questioning the very grounds upon which any claim to happiness might be made and, ultimately, whether it is attainable at all.

(warning, the above may contain b*llocks)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...