UKC

Electronic Album Masterworks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 05 May 2020

I was having a conversation about what electronic albums I reckon will stand the test of time - stuff that people will still listen to even though it's not from their era, the way kids listen to Nirvana, or people my age listen to Bob Dylan.

The ones I've come up with came out when I was in my 20s when I was heavily into DJing, going to clubs etc, so they kind of show my age. I'm talking about albums that you can sit down and listen to, which have a proper structure (beginning middle and end) and aren't just club music that needs to be mixed in a set to make sense.

Mine are:

My Way by Akufen. Masterpiece of minimal microhouse. Big track:

youtube.com/watch?v=w7nNF0FJ3-I&

Mosaic by Siriusmo. Electronic funk of the very highest order. Big track:

youtube.com/watch?v=3U8zBD3gA4Y&

Bodily Functions by Herbert. Masterful songwriting meets deep electronic production. Big track:

youtube.com/watch?v=_O0MIgGlOVg&

Other stuff I thought of was Aphex Twin and other Warp or, old Four Tet maybe Roni Size Reprazent for when d'n'b crept out clubs (not my thing these days but I liked it at the time). Maybe there's new stuff that's passed me by after I got old?

So what electronic albums do you reckon the next generation will still - or should still - be listening to?

philipivan 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I guess the first ones that spring to mind are ones I listened to a lot at the time:

Leftfield leftist

Prodigy music for the jilted generation

DJ shadow endtroducing 

Orbital insides

Probably a good few from the last 20 years I'm not aware of

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Suicide, Suicide

20 Jazz Funk Greats, Throbbing Gristle

Abduction, Eat Static

Any Kraftwerk. 

In reply to Jon Stewart:

No Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schultz, then?  Electronic, like R&B, has acquired a different meaning in musical terms over the years.

T.

OP Jon Stewart 05 May 2020
In reply to philipivan:

> DJ shadow endtroducing 

Yeah! I was really into the Mo'Wax and Ninja Tune stuff, and that was the defining album of a whole scene.

tjdodd 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

Miss Kittin - Radio Caroline Volume 1

Moby - Songs or Ambient

Aphex Twin – Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Autechre - Tri Repetae

and of course the grandfather

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene (Part IV)

In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> No Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schultz, then?  Electronic, like R&B, has acquired a different meaning in musical terms over the years.

Vaguely heard of, but never listened to. Guess that's before my time? The electronic music I know and love is stuff that comes out of the underground dance scene of the late 90s (which itself descended from the rave scene before that). But in the case of these albums, it was developed into more than club music and is worth listening to without the eccies and sweaty dancefloor.

Tom Last 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Leftism

Dubnobasswithmyheadman

Music For the Jilted Generation

mik82 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Aphex Twin - Richard D James album

Tom Last 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Probably an Orbital album too, not sure which is which - I was too hammered.

Also 

Inner City Life - Goldie

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Tangerine Dream were a very early electronic band; early as in synthesisers had just about become musically viable as an alternative to the mellotron.  Not dance music so much as music to skin up to or, in the case of their very first album, something to play when I wanted people to leave so that I could go to bed.

A little while ago I heard an interview with Gary Numan, who was grumbling that his latest release hadn't been included in the electronic music chart.  It says a great deal about how what people refer to as electronic music has changed that the people who excluded him thought that was perfectly sensible whereas to someone of my generation you couldn't really put him anywhere else.

T.

coachio 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Should still but probably won't.

Thievery Corporation.   It takes a thief

Kruder and Dorfmeister.  K&D sessions

Sasha and Digweed.    Northern Exposure

Massive Attack.  Blue Lines

UNKLE. Never never land

Groove Armada

Superdiscount. Etienne Dr crecy

Buzzin fly. Ben Watt

Memories from a fading room. Future Loop Foundation.

All class in different ways.

In reply to Tom Last:

Lot of people here are obviously roughly my age - these albums that come up are all the stuff I listened to when I was in 6th form.

Should add

Portishead by Portishead 

Protection by Massive Attack. 

Still sound brilliant today.

In reply to coachio:

> Kruder and Dorfmeister.  K&D sessions

No DJ sets allowed! 

Great stuff tho!

Skip 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Amazingly no one has yet mentioned Moon Safari by Air.

KLF - Chill Out

The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld

coachio 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thought it would get vetoed along with Northern Exposure. NE desreves to stay for the impact it had....well did on me.

> Tangerine Dream were a very early electronic band; early as in synthesisers had just about become musically viable as an alternative to the mellotron...It says a great deal about how what people refer to as electronic music has changed

Interesting question - what is electronic music? I guess I mean stuff that's made by a producer/s without a band. So programmed drums, synths, sampling, sound design and with any acoustic instruments or voice playing a small part. Or something like that.

Andy Farnell 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Curve ball, mix of both: NIN The Downward Spiral. 

Andy F

jethro kiernan 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Great thread!

ltj bukem-logical progression

underworld-Dubnobasswithmyheadman

leftism

apex twin

the orb

Frank4short 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Probably for starters

Saint Etienne - Boulevard

Orbital - Snivilisation 

Dave Clarke - Archive One

Daft Punk - Homework

Bjork - Debut

Trentemoeller - The last resort

Caribou - Our Love

Dave Angel - Tales of the Unexpected

Daniel Avery - Drone Logic

Gusgus - Arabian Horse

Ian Pooley - Meridien

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem

That's just for starters

coachio 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Also

FSOL .  Dead cities

Global Communication. 76:14

The Cinematic Orchestra...of the same name and Ma Fleur

Masterpiece. Andrew Weatherall. Can't believe nearly forgot that.

Post edited at 21:06
 Hooo 05 May 2020
In reply to coachio:

Super Discount, that takes me back. Forgotten all about that one, and the lovely girl I was with who played it non-stop

Hooo 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Union Jack. There will be no Armageddon.

nawface 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Great thread.  Loads i would have said already down.

Trentemoller - The Last Resort

Bonobo - The North Borders

Chemicals - Dig Your Own Hole

Plastikman - Sheet One

Goldie - Timeless

Moderat - II

Jon Hopkins - Singularity

That'll do.

The Norris 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Lots of great albums above, I'll add

chemical brothers - dig your own hole,

lfo - lfo.

Andy stott- passed me by

Blue Straggler 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> stuff that's made by a producer/s without a band. So programmed drums, synths, sampling, sound design and with any acoustic instruments or voice playing a small part. Or something like that.

I think Portishead and Massive Attack might be interested to hear that they aren't bands  

I was intitially hesitating to put seefeel's "quique" in here, but seeing all this Leftfield, Prodigy, Massive Attack, Underworld stuff, I nominate:

seefeel's "quique"

For something more modern I've been enjoying a couple of albums by Factory Floor. 

Strangely though, Michael Rother's Katzenmuzik would fit this thread nicely....but that's pretty much a guitar album! 

Confusing isn't it!

In reply to Jon Stewart:

not the album of the same name, but the 7 track EP

Lifeforms - FSOL

dread-i 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The Mix by Kraftwerk. Still fresh.

The Orb - Adventures Beyond... Ground breaking stuff. Great live band as well, with a quadraphonic PA and various projections.

Aphex twin. Its interesting to see that Avril 14 is his most popular tune. The old skool raver / Classic FM ven diagram intersection?

Listening back, lots of the old house stuff seems very slow: 120 bpm ish. What with the techno, trance and psy trance era, then d'n'b, it seem a tad dull by comparison.

Having said that, I've just put on Energy Flash by Joey Beltram, and that's still banging.

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I think Portishead and Massive Attack might be interested to hear that they aren't bands

Good point. All the drums are looped, giving the feel of "electronic music". I don't know how the records were made, were they sampled beats or what?

In reply to Jon Stewart:

“Voice playing a small part”

Beth Gibbons will be charmed ! As will Shara Nelson, Tracy Thorn, Horace Andy, Elizabeth Fraser et al 😃

I think there is quite a lot of “real” guitar playing going on in both “bands that you don’t class as bands” too...

MonkeyPuzzle 05 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Great shout on Siriusmo. The guy is so good it sounds like he's just pissing about, if you get my meaning.

I'd have to go with:

Clark - Iradelphic: He's not only a great producer but a pretty damn good classical guitarist, which he weaves into a few tracks. Plays with time signatures without being fartsy plus has Martina Topley-Bird sing just to top things off.

Goldie - Inner City Life: To have, so early in jungle/DnB's existence, the ambition and ability to go as big and epic as Goldie went on this is astounding. Saw him tour it with a live orchestra and live drummers which melted my noggin.

Amon Tobin - Permutation: Licence-free bargain bin jazz loops, amen breaks, analog synth bass and every track sounding like it's behind a montage in a movie? Yeah, alright then. I'll have chips with that.

Photek - Modus Operandi: I prefer the tracks on Form and Function but MO is the more coherent album. No one else sounds like Photek. The production is perfect, the snares crack like rifle fire and he could hold your attention forever waiting for the next fill or ad lib on the main break.

OP Jon Stewart 06 May 2020

Ha. When I started thinking about it, I was thinking of stuff that definitely isn't bands, as in the OP. Which is probably why I didn't think of Portishead and Massive Attack. But I don't think you can make out that they are "guitar bands" - they're closer to "electronic music" than that, although they are definitely "bandy".

Blue Straggler 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

(Posting in good humour and general agreement that “electronic” is hard to define)

I wasn’t calling them guitar bands; I was calling them bands. If you see them (or The Prodigy)live, it’s different to seeing Orbital, Banco de Gaia or Factory Floor 

In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Great shout on Siriusmo. The guy is so good it sounds like he's just pissing about, if you get my meaning.

> I'd have to go with:

> Clark - Iradelphic: He's not only a great producer but a pretty damn good classical guitarist, which he weaves into a few tracks. Plays with time signatures without being fartsy plus has Martina Topley-Bird sing just to top things off.

> Goldie - Inner City Life: To have, so early in jungle/DnB's existence, the ambition and ability to go as big and epic as Goldie went on this is astounding. Saw him tour it with a live orchestra and live drummers which melted my noggin.

> Amon Tobin - Permutation: Licence-free bargain bin jazz loops, amen breaks, analog synth bass and every track sounding like it's behind a montage in a movie? Yeah, alright then. I'll have chips with that.

> Photek - Modus Operandi: I prefer the tracks on Form and Function but MO is the more coherent album. No one else sounds like Photek. The production is perfect, the snares crack like rifle fire and he could hold your attention forever waiting for the next fill or ad lib on the main break.

We have similar taste. I listened back to 'ni ten ichi ryu' a while ago, half expecting that it would sound like some crap, dated d'n'b I used to like when I was a student...and it sounded awesome!

youtube.com/watch?v=9qJKxaWb0_A&

That Amon Tobin is from the same time, I haven't heard it in years. He carried on making music and doing a/v stuff but I never followed any of it. It's kind of a shame if he never did anything as good as Permutation...

> “Voice playing a small part”

> Beth Gibbons will be charmed !

So would dani siciliano from the Herbert record But that's definitely "electronic music", partly because it's conceived by the producer. The song is only one aspect, the sound is a bigger deal. I guess at one end of the scale is stuff that's got roots in folk music, where it's all about song, and at the other end is stuff where there is no song at all, just sound (e.g. plastikman).

Nathan Adam 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Here's a few I can think of that fit your description, maybe some better than others. FWIW, the electronic music scene just before lock-down was well and truly thriving away with great underground sounds and places still out there for the people that were interested and knew where to look. I get the feeling it'll be no different when we are allowed to be in close contact of each other again, if anything it'll be even more so.

Galaxy 2 Galaxy - A Hi-Tech Jazz Compilation ( youtube.com/watch?v=kkZ_vKWF8e8&)

Shanti Celeste - Tangerine ( youtube.com/watch?v=8xn5-zjBN3E&)

Moodymann - Silentintroduction ( youtube.com/watch?v=V4Oqg-fHNZI&)

Martyn Bennet - Grit ( youtube.com/watch?v=3pxmGv6iv-8&)

Drexciya - Grava 4 ( youtube.com/watch?v=TR8zjaxRa_E&)

Larry Heard/Loosefingers - Soundtrack from the Duality Double-Play ( youtube.com/watch?v=2nRhLCvkEYs&)

Omar S - The Best ( youtube.com/watch?v=RNnCCuTpmSs&

Skee Mask - Compro ( youtube.com/watch?v=WrxXObHUyVg&)

Slam - Reverse Proceed ( youtube.com/watch?v=rg6T_pPaw80&)

Post edited at 00:44
 ChrisBrooke 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Another vote for Goldie - Timeless. 

I was a snobby guitar band indie kid as a teenager in the 90s, but that album opened my mind (and ears) to electronic music. Huge in scope. My mind boggles, as someone who works in music production, at the effort that must have gone into that with the state of the technology at the time. 
In fact I listened to that album only last week, so it has quite literally stood the test of time for me. 

That and Squarepusher’s Go Plastic, although I appreciate that one’s not for everybody. 

In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Lot of people here are obviously roughly my age - these albums that come up are all the stuff I listened to when I was in 6th form.

> Should add

> Portishead by Portishead 

> Protection by Massive Attack. 

> Still sound brilliant today.

I feel like 80% of the music being discussed is not what I would call 'electronic'

In reply to tjdodd:

> Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

> Miss Kittin - Radio Caroline Volume 1

> Moby - Songs or Ambient

> Aphex Twin – Selected Ambient Works 85-92

> Autechre - Tri Repetae

> and of course the grandfather

> Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene (Part IV)

Terry Riley is surely the Grandfather!

gravy 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

IIRC Portishead cut tracks on to acetates and then scratched the acetates onto their recordings - and both massive attack and portishead played live with a full live band including a drummer:

youtube.com/watch?v=zlBRnwUZ7VY&

youtube.com/watch?v=KgzcFZhLxXo&

Post edited at 08:52
 tlouth7 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I was having a conversation about what electronic albums I reckon will stand the test of time - stuff that people will still listen to even though it's not from their era, the way kids listen to Nirvana, or people my age listen to Bob Dylan.

Surely a huge amount of electronic music is from the same era as Bob Dylan? So we can pick things that have already stood the test of time.

I would like to put forward:

Vangelis - Albedo 0.39 though I realise his film soundtracks are probably better known.

In reply to tlouth7:

I think a lot of the albums already mentioned on this thread have stood the test of time! Some are over a quarter of a century old themselves 

Doug 06 May 2020

Surprised to see no mention of earlier electronic music from eg Wendy Carlos (eg Switched on Bach) or earlier still from composers such as Stockhausen. Or has electronic music come to mean only electronic dance music ?

tlouth7 06 May 2020

Exactly, OP seemed to be implying that electronic music is a new thing. I would argue that one of the most recognisable pieces of electronic music is the Doctor Who theme tune, composed in 1963!

In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Terry Riley is surely the Grandfather!

Does that make Pierre Schaefer the great-grandfather? (Not that anyone actually listens to Schaefer 😃 )

In reply to Doug:

> Surprised to see no mention of earlier electronic music from eg Wendy Carlos (eg Switched on Bach) or earlier still from composers such as Stockhausen. Or has electronic music come to mean only electronic dance music ?

That stuff is not terribly well known though is it? In fact, it's incredibly niche. Most people on this thread seem to be people who came of age in the 90s, and IME the music you love at that age sticks with you for life - it's when people tend to be most into music and following what's current. 

> I feel like 80% of the music being discussed is not what I would call 'electronic'

Fair point about Portishead and massive attack, and some of the others. There's a bit of chat above about what "electronic music" might mean.

In reply to tlouth7:

> I would argue that one of the most recognisable pieces of electronic music is the Doctor Who theme tune, composed in 1963!

Not an album, and hasn't stood the test of time - it's been remade (i presume, not a dr. Who viewer these days) because it sounds horribly dated. 

IceKing 06 May 2020
In reply to Skip:

Back in the day, whatever state I had got myself in KLF - Chill Out would be the only music that would render me asleep before it had finished. Always needed a copy of it around to get some zzzz's. Never found another album that could manage that.

UFOrb is in my top ten albums, still listen to it often.

Screamadelica by Primal Scream or the late great Weatherall really is a great electronic album

Doug 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Switched on Bach by Wendy Carlos (Walter at the time), was a top 10 hit in the late 60s, for those of us who are older than you these are not 'niche', even those who haven't heard Stockhausen's music are likely to know the name

In reply to Doug:

> Switched on Bach by Wendy Carlos (Walter at the time), was a top 10 hit in the late 60s

I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just interested and will listen to Wendy Carlos in a minute, but... 

The stuff from the 60s that's been passed down the generations is rock, folk, soul and jazz music, not electronic surely? If you were there at the time that's one thing, but what's the stuff that has lasted and will still be listened to by the next generation?

In reply to Jon Stewart:

To accelerate the threads inevitable end as a list of every vaguely electronic album ever, Can I add this one:

Sabres of Paradise, eponymous album, an excellent journey. 

Frank4short 06 May 2020
In reply to Doug:

How much of it stands up to repeat listening today? 

Someone up thread posited that every Kraftwerk album should be on the list. Now i really like Kraftwerk but in it's entirety (as opposed to selectively or for historical sake) saying all of their work is a masterpiece is just nonsense. Over 40-50 years they've produced easily as much bad music as good.

Essentially my point is that whilst there's plenty of early electronica which is worth mentioning in terms of it's historical significance an awful lot of it has not aged particularly well. 

But back to your point probably some of the better early electronic music (though technically classed as rock) is the stuff the Who produced on Who's Next when Pete Townsend used his ARP synthesizer to effectively sound the album. 

possibly so, but I thought Riley because of his direct influence on popular music and because 'A Rainbow in Curved Air' is actually a very accessible listen, side 1 (as was) at least.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

> That stuff is not terribly well known though is it? In fact, it's incredibly niche. Most people on this thread seem to be people who came of age in the 90s, and IME the music you love at that age sticks with you for life - it's when people tend to be most into music and following what's current. 

It is terribly well known and not that niche. Lots of people are rediscovering (or discovering for the first time) stuff like Terry Riley.
Re-releases of stuff from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop have proved pretty popular. 
I bought, and listen to, Walter/Wendy Carlos' very well known soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange. 
Upthread I nominated Michael Rother's 1979-80 Katzenmusik. I am 44. 
I am also a fan of Tangerine Dream's soundtrack to the 1977 film Sorcerer although I am not claiming it as an electronic album that would stand the test of time (ditto Popol Vuh's Aguirre, Wrath of God soundtrack). 

If you wanted people to only list post-1990 dance-inflected albums, you should have said so. 

Broad agreement here, I was just doing the "elevenerife" thing  

Bob Kemp 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

One example of influential '60s electro is The United States of America, with Warp's Broadcast clearly being heavily influenced:

youtube.com/watch?v=sb8Q4EHozjU&

I suspect Broadcast and others also listened to White Noise, which was Delia Derbyshire (of Dr Who Theme fame) and David Vorhaus:

youtube.com/watch?v=4lXIfV7qFFE&

You could include Annette Peacock too - the first person to use a Moog in live performance, pioneer of electronically treated vocals, influenced all sorts of people.

https://reverb.com/uk/news/annette-peacocks-voice-activated-moog-modular-sy...

There are probably more... need to think about it.

In reply to Frank4short:

> Essentially my point is that whilst there's plenty of early electronica which is worth mentioning in terms of it's historical significance an awful lot of it has not aged particularly well. 

Exactly. We should be looking for the stuff that we really think is timeless (and Goldie probably makes it, even if the title smacks of hubris).

> But back to your point probably some of the better early electronic music (though technically classed as rock) is the stuff the Who produced on Who's Next when Pete Townsend used his ARP synthesizer to effectively sound the album. 

I reckon "electronic music" is electronically conceived i.e. it couldn't be imagined without the technology that made it. So rock music with a synth on doesn't make it, and nor does music from the High Baroque played on a moog, but Kraftwerk does. In my opinion.

Post edited at 10:49

> If you wanted people to only list post-1990 dance-inflected albums, you should have said so. 

That's not what I said, it you who is trying to be argumentative for no reason.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

I am not being argumentative. I am trying to be helpful and guide your thread, as you keep coming back to dismiss peoples' recommendations. 

Also a correction to my previous post, it seems I don't have the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange. I distinctly remember buying it on vinyl recently but maybe I only handled it in the shop and didn't actually buy it. Disappointing. Although not as disappointing as not spotting my 12" of Air's Sexy Boy, with "Jeanne" featuring Francoise Hardy on the b side, whilst going through my vinyl. 

Iamgregp 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Ok, I'm late to the part and most of the obvious ones have been mentioned already, but for what it's worth...

Dubnobasswithmyheadman 

Endtroducing 

Music has The Right To Children (best Boards one for me)

Timeless

Leftism

Blue Lines

Selected Ambient Works

Smokers Delight

Now I'm going to go slightly off piste here and I'm probably going to get shot down for this buy there's a few albums out there that would probably not be regarded as electronic albums as they're by an actual ban that played instruments, but bear with me...

Happy Mondays - Pills n' Thrills n Bellyaches - Yes it features live instruments (but then so does Portishead) but was produced by Paul Oakenfold, those beats are programmed house beats.  

Screamadelica - Again, features live instruments but have been mangled, sampled and manipulated by Weatherall so much I think this counts as an electronic album?

Post edited at 11:00

> I am not being argumentative. I am trying to be helpful and guide your thread, as you keep coming back to dismiss peoples' recommendations. 

Well I did try to be clear that while the Theme to Dr. Who was not an electronic masterwork album, which it isn't, I am genuinely interested in the music from before the 1990 dance era.

Bob's post, with some bloody links on, is especially interesting. 

And I repeat my decree: rock music with a synth on is NOT electronic music. And that is that.

Post edited at 11:08
 Tobes 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

David Holmes - Lets get Killed

Brian Eno - Before and after Science

Michel Waisvisz - Crackle 

In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Bob's post, with some bloody links on, is especially interesting. 

What's with the attitude, Jon? You seem to imply here, that providing links somehow adds validation to a post. You don't need a link to look up "Michael Rother's Katzenmusik". 

Anyway I found my Air 12" and this thread is like banging my head against a brick wall so I'm flouncing off (from this thread)

In reply to Tobes:

> David Holmes - Lets get Killed

This remix from that album is one of my all time favourite tracks:

youtube.com/watch?v=VMIWfydL66k&

> What's with the attitude, Jon?

I think the trouble is that you read into my posts exactly the same level of nark that I read in yours. I am joking.

> You seem to imply here, that providing links somehow adds validation to a post. You don't need a link to look up "Michael Rother's Katzenmusik". 

I am joking, but links are better. If you're saying "listen to this, it's interesting" then encourage us with a little linkie.

> Anyway I found my Air 12" and this thread is like banging my head against a brick wall so I'm flouncing off (from this thread)

Please don't. Your posts are the best.

In reply to Tobes:

> Michel Waisvisz - Crackle 

I'm about 30s into this peculiar experience.

youtube.com/watch?v=BzAOPvYRIo8&

Post edited at 11:25
 tlouth7 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Not an album, and hasn't stood the test of time

Sure, I was illustrating the specific point that electronic music has been around for at least as long as Bob Dylan's.

In reply to tlouth7:

> Sure, I was illustrating the specific point that electronic music has been around for at least as long as Bob Dylan's.

Yes, I've always assumed "started with Kraftwerk" but I'm now in youtube rabbit-hole of weird 60s electronic stuff. For better or worse (mainly worse tbh).

I'm currently experiencing Karlheinz Stockhausen: Telemusik and I still think it's err, fairly niche in appeal. It's definitely electronic, but the cliched question is, "but is it music?". I'm not dismissing it as art, but electroacoustic composition that's totally devoid of rhythm (even repetition), melody or any discernible structure of frequencies usually associated with 'music' isn't quite what I had in mind!

Post edited at 11:55
 toad 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Jean Michell jarre is another obvious omission, and also the likes of Tangerine Dream

Iamgregp 06 May 2020
In reply to Frank4short:

You've got some cracking picks in here - Debut is one of my favourite albums of all time.  And you've picked the right Daft Punk album.

But Snivilisation?  It's not even the best Orbital album, in fact not even the second best! [tongue out cheeky emoji]

mick taylor 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Two from opposite era's:

Red Mecca by Cabaret Voltaire, and this track in particular just to play loudly at those lockdownworkaroundersocalledclimbersattroy:

youtube.com/watch?v=UZJXJjM2C3I&

Settle by Disclosure (who I saw at Manchester Apollo, I was the second oldest in the crowd, some old acid head was older than me, or at least looked older !!)

youtube.com/watch?v=bkk2H3Ztrfk&

Frank4short 06 May 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

I would argue snivilisation/in sides are probably interchangeable as orbital's best albums in terms of well sitting down and listening from one end to the other. First 2 albums probably have more tunes on them but are in my humble opinion decidedly inferior as albums, too many dodgy tracks. I'd possibly take Satan live as a left of field suggestion though it's not really an album in the sense the OP suggested, at least not in my interpretation of it, also Satan is a shit tune.

Also thanks for the compliment. First couple were off of the top of my head then i had to look at my (digital) library to get specific albums that i thought cut the mustard. Typically what came to mind are individual songs or albums with a few really good songs but not necessarily great albums or mixes, which doesn't really answer the OP's question. As you can see i got to L in the alphabet before i stopped. Will likely put in a second selection later when i'm home again. 

Post could have gone in there either. Daft Punk is every second album. So i'm crossing my fingers and toes that hopefully this next album is more a return to their roots as opposed to making a really big and expensive thing just to prove that they aren't like everyone else.

Edit: I also agree about the Monday's and Primal Scream. Though by rights Screamedalica could also be described as an Andy Weatherall remix album as much as anything else (still great mind).

Post edited at 12:41
In reply to Frank4short:

> Post could have gone in there either.

I loved those 2 albums, but like Amon Tobin, didn't follow after that. Am I missing anything do you think? What was it about the late 90s that generated all these records that we're now saying are the greatest - is it just that they came out at the right time for us, or was it an especially great time for this genre? The current stuff I hear doesn't sound like it has really progressed that much in the last 20 years, but is it just me getting old and I can't understand novel ideas any more?

Is it like the way the piano had its zenith in the 19th century with Chopin and Liszt (I'm sure there's plenty to disagree with there...), in that the technology was fresh and was attracting the biggest talents. I am not, by the way, suggesting that Bjork and Chopin are in any way comparable, they're kinda different...

Post edited at 12:24

As discussed earlier in the thread, the meaning of electronic music, and what that meaning encompasses, has changed. The OP isn't wrong; you are and I am, or was.

Similarly, if someone younger than me asked for favourite R+B music and I suggested something by Dr Feelgood it would be showing just what an out of touch old fart I was, and indeed am.

T.

Iamgregp 06 May 2020
In reply to Frank4short:

Yeah that's a fair argument that Snivilisation / In Sides work better as albums as a whole than the first two.  Personally I think the Brown album is on a par with them, but that might be just because it's one I've played to death over the years!  Agreed Satan is a shit tune, with a shit remix.

Yeah I might have to come in for a second pass too, so many to choose from and I know I'm missing obvious stuff, as I'm sure you are too, you clearly know your stuff.

I love the "first" three Bjork albums.  Post is a massive favourite mine, but I haaaaaate It's Oh So Quiet so, just for that, I'd put Debut above it, there's not a weak tune on there. 

Not holding my breath on a Daft Punk return to form, I think they lost their way a long time ago, their last album was shit

> As discussed earlier in the thread, the meaning of electronic music, and what that meaning encompasses, has changed. The OP isn't wrong; you are and I am, or was.

Don't know quite how you mean that...guess that's the trouble with chatting online with people you don't know in person. There's no right or wrong definition of "electronic music" but I have suggested what I think I mean when I say it:

I reckon "electronic music" is electronically conceived i.e. it couldn't be imagined without the technology that made it. So rock music with a synth on doesn't make it, and nor does music from the High Baroque played on a moog, but Kraftwerk does. In my opinion.

> Similarly, if someone younger than me asked for favourite R+B music and I suggested something by Dr Feelgood it would be showing just what an out of touch old fart I was, and indeed am.

I don't think that all of us going on about albums from the 90s can lay much claim to being "in touch"

MonkeyPuzzle 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> We have similar taste. I listened back to 'ni ten ichi ryu' a while ago, half expecting that it would sound like some crap, dated d'n'b I used to like when I was a student...and it sounded awesome!

It was watching that Ni Ten Ichi Ryu video on MTV 120 Minutes programme that really got me into him. Before that his remix of Loose by Therapy?, as I was purely into rock until Photek/Portishead bridged that gap.

> That Amon Tobin is from the same time, I haven't heard it in years. He carried on making music and doing a/v stuff but I never followed any of it. It's kind of a shame if he never did anything as good as Permutation...

I dunno, Supermodified is after Permutation, but not the most gigantic departure (although less sampling and more original sounds) and I find ISAM (the proper AV album - saw it live with the whole laser-mapped 3D stage, mindblowing) really immersive, although obviously not a "dance" record as such. I always listen to his stuff like it's a soundtrack to a film I've not watched. So evocative. His latest two albums have no drums and are all made with a broken Juno synth he found. Really good, but a complete departure from Permutation and ISAM styles.

Recently, I've been getting into Ben Frost (overdriven, distorted analog synths, minimal drums but huge sound) and Skeptical (minimal 2-step DnB - very well produced, crisp sounds and nice gaps between them).

In reply to Frank4short:

Just listening to Trentemoeller - The last resort, for the first time. I loved his techno records but this album totally passed me by. Really enjoying it.

youtube.com/watch?v=UpD1Vdr8iuE&

> I was purely into rock until Photek/Portishead bridged that gap.

I was 100% indie (Smiths, Suede, etc) until one night I smoked a bong in my room by myself and listened to this (which my brother had on cassette), on some big headphones:

youtube.com/watch?v=PMkOAcpNRIo&

A lot changed after that...

Post edited at 13:10
 Iamgregp 06 May 2020

Well into Skeptical.  If you're into that there's lots of other similar area stuff on Exit & Ingredients records, some of which veers into Footwork/Juke territory.  

Stuff like this  youtube.com/watch?v=X57bQyTUCfw&

Bob Kemp 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> And I repeat my decree: rock music with a synth on is NOT electronic music. And that is that.

I'd agree up to a point. But you run the risk of running into the old problem of genre boundaries, that there are blurred boundaries between them. I guess you're thinking about the kind of rock where the keyboard player is just adding extra sounds to what an organ can do - ELP, Yes with Rick Wakeman spring to mind. But it's also possible to find rock bands who were using electronics for more, particularly psychedelic/cosmic bands like Gong and Hawkwind. And I'm sure there are more boundary crossers. 

In reply to Bob Kemp:

Maybe what I'm calling "electronic music" could be better called "programmed music"? For a start, when I hear something with live drums, it just doesn't sound like electronic music to me. But of course there's no boundaries to the genre or right or wrong definitions.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

I think my mental boundary between what you're after and what others might call by the same title is, does it have its roots in the rave scene?  If yes, or sort of yes, then I think it's in your definition.  If not, then it isn't.

That kind of works for me.

T.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Please don't. Your posts are the best.

Oh yeah? What's wrong with my posts?

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Geogaddi by Boards of Canada and the underrated 2nd album by Air

> Oh yeah? What's wrong with my posts?

We can only settle this with a fight. Outside, now.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

I think it qualifies... Big Science by Laurie Anderson (top ten album for me)

Bob Kemp 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I don't think you'll ever find a satisfactory term. I just had a look at the electronic section of the Wikipedia entry on musical genres, and there are hundreds of variants. You could drive yourself nuts worrying about it. Even live drums isn't a good divider these days, with drummers using all sorts of pads and other effects. Personally I like to be ecumenical about these things - you get to hear more interesting stuff that way. Although my son's gabber was going a bit far...

Bob Kemp 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Socially distanced fights only of course... You'll need a couple of big sticks.

Post edited at 13:37
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I call 'social distancing defence' otherwise I'd be up for it!

Maybe. I was listening to Tangerine Dream, and that definitely "felt like" electronic music to me...as does Kraftwerk. I don't think I'm working towards any particularly rigorous definition here.

But you're right, the stuff that I'm into personally all came out of rave, mixing the looped drums with whatever else people could get their devices on. Lots more influence from the jazz side of things than the rock in the stuff I like.

In reply to Bob Kemp:

> Although my son's gabber was going a bit far...

I blame the parents.

jockster 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

OK, electronic music newbie here. Can anyone recommend 10 albums from above that are good as working/background/"nodding off for a nap" purposes, cheers, Si

wbo2 06 May 2020
In reply to jockster:

1. Air - Moon safari,  that I never get tired of.

Sad news  - I see reports Florian Schneider from Kraftwerk has died

Flinticus 06 May 2020
In reply to coachio:

> Kruder and Dorfmeister.  K&D sessions

> Superdiscount. Etienne Dr crecy

Both staples of our after parties during the mid and late 90s.

I wonder if I still have the CDs...will check

Flinticus 06 May 2020
In reply to jockster:

'Atmospherics' by James Bernard.

Still listen to it regularly while working

coachio 06 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

I still have them and superdiscount 2. Brilliant and still listen to this day. Glad someone mentioned Grit, fantastic album that I wished could have been one of many. 

If I could humbly recommend one from my pick that someone was asking for background music to, would be Memories from a fading room... Future Loop Foundation... Not only takes me back to my childhood but also WW2, especially if you watch the dvd. 

My take on the electronic music questions is it will be from everyone's frame of reference but I totally understand my reference wasn't by any means the start of electronic music. However, I'm glad dance music spawned so much differing EDM that continues to this day. In fact currently sitting in the sun loving Anjunadeep. 

malk 06 May 2020
 PJD 06 May 2020

You might be able to help me here: Venetian Snares: amazing artist, but did he make a classic album? Love this track:

youtube.com/watch?v=FbJ63spk48s&

What about Atom Heart/Atom TM, did he ever make a classic album? The guy's a genius, love this:  youtube.com/watch?v=FbJ63spk48s&

sgl 06 May 2020
In reply to coachio:

> I still have them and superdiscount 2. Brilliant and still listen to this day.

If you like this then Motorbass  - Pansoul (Etienne de Crecy and the recently departed Philippe Zdar) is the best of all those late 90’s Paris house albums.

Actually St Germain - Boulevard is another cracker.

Post edited at 20:24
In reply to jockster:

Could do worse than this - and it's current too (I *am* "in touch" you see):

youtube.com/watch?v=qQMBQeFmJIk&

Can't believe his first album is already 10 years old - and amazingly Nico made this when he was 20 years old, and he'd already made some good stuff by this time. 

youtube.com/watch?v=m4krz1cTmmU&

Not so good for having a nap, but this is a great tune of his:

youtube.com/watch?v=JM6lRdPO7So&

Look up "Against All Logic" if you like the more upbeat/dancy elements, that's him too. His eclectic dj mixes are cracking as well.

Tobes 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Ha ha good stuff, great isn’t it!? Fetches big bucks on vinyl these days, there’s quite a bit of this sort of stuff about that I doubt would get a chance of recording  these days.

Spacemen 3 also had a great electronic side to them, try and find ‘Ecstasy live intro theme’  then find a dark room and headphones 

youtube.com/watch?v=qRD7SfM60WI&

edit - link added 

Post edited at 21:05
 coachio 06 May 2020
In reply to sgl:

Superb. Not got that, but strangely that reminds me more of after parties than superdiscount. Will give that a good listen.

Sredni Vashtar 06 May 2020
In reply to philipivan:Insides, what an album and Endtroducing, phenominal

LakesWinter 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

youtube.com/watch?v=a83Z1d1_ERo&  Dorset Perception by Shpongle

This contains loads of real instruments but is definitely electronic music.

This is my favourite electronic album I think... Hallucinogen's Lone Deranger

youtube.com/watch?v=-WILe814Zyw&

Slightly more recent, some Infected Mushroom - Franks from 2009s Legend of the Black Shawarma

youtube.com/watch?v=SeKSj4304zA&

Post edited at 22:20
 MonkeyPuzzle 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

You've posted the Venetian Snares link twice there, but I'd say that whole "Hungarian Album" is great, yeah. Any album where the concept is imagining you're a pigeon on Kuralyi Palace and is a mash up of string quartet, jazz, breakcore with a Billie Holliday cover thrown in for good measure is going to be a contender! I also love the Detrimentalist album, which is his 'old school jungle' album, although of course it's not old school jungle, it's face-melting breakcore. Yummy.

Cheers. I'll check the Hungarian thing for sure.

The Atom TM link was meant to be this:

youtube.com/watch?v=rVRZcd0faLM&

But it could have been

youtube.com/watch?v=twGkc-pYV6Q&

MonkeyPuzzle 06 May 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Well into Skeptical.  If you're into that there's lots of other similar area stuff on Exit & Ingredients records, some of which veers into Footwork/Juke territory.  

That's really nice. The vocal is on the cusp of being too "there" for me, but love the rhythm.

Exit Records is excellent. I like a lot of the deeper half-step stuff on there like ASC as well:

youtube.com/watch?v=-RQbhYkDbXc& 

MonkeyPuzzle 06 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Atom TM I'd not heard before, thanks. That remix is brilliant. The 2nd link less my cup of tea.

Going to have to go through this thread with a fine tooth comb tomorrow evening!

Here's another you might or might not like:

youtube.com/watch?v=tyGI28xqfTQ&

This guy can do no wrong (that one sounds more like the stuff he does as Horror Inc. -  youtube.com/watch?v=4xNg1UNWEUw& )

Neston Climber 07 May 2020
In reply to jockster:

Endtrodusing

Mike Peacock 07 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'm in agreement with the likes of Orbital (Insides for me), The Orb (Orblivion is my favourite) and Tangerine Dream. Otherwise a few that I don't think have been mentioned.

Meat Beat Manifesto/Jack Dangers. Subliminal Sandwich is a flawless album I think.
youtube.com/watch?v=hPnHzWegavo&

Luke Vibert/Wagon Christ:
youtube.com/watch?v=8as1eapSKuY&

Telefon Tel Aviv:
youtube.com/watch?v=MQ2qEah8Fns&

And lastly, I can't not mention the genius of Coil. Over several decades they did industrial, experimental noise and drone, creepy spoken word minimal electronic, and a fair bit of not-too-weird electronic/dance. Love's Secret Domain is their 'dancey' album but it still has a fair dose of oddness.
youtube.com/watch?v=kBAz_qGTzZ4&

Iamgregp 07 May 2020

Yeah love all the half step stuff, there's a half step remix of Shadowboxing on 31 records is just insane....  youtube.com/watch?v=xA6G5QoEMmU&

That's cool that you linked that tune, Samurai Red Seal was going to be my next recommend if you like Exit, but I can see you're all over it already!

It's funny when I was a kid I was into all the dancefloor orientated DnB and as my 30's went on I got the more leftfield, esoteric styles. Not sure if that was just me getting older or this kind of stuff getting so good.  Maybe a bit of both?!

Post edited at 10:28
 Frank4short 07 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The Chronicles is an arguably better album but it's a combination of compilation of the best versions of his earlier songs and his best remixes. Little or no original music on it. So not strictly an original album (hence why i didn't put it forward).

Frank4short 07 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

>  What was it about the late 90s that generated all these records that we're now saying are the greatest - is it just that they came out at the right time for us, or was it an especially great time for this genre? The current stuff I hear doesn't sound like it has really progressed that much in the last 20 years, but is it just me getting old and I can't understand novel ideas any more?

I think that particular period was a combination of the technology reaching a point where you could affordably do really interesting things with it and the skill in the community at using the same really developed and also coupled with an artistic wave where it was possible to really push what was possible really made it leap and bound. 

I don't think there's a lack of novelty (in the sense you refer above) out there these days. It's just a combination of a lot of dance/electronic music has gone so mainstream, and an excess of choice through new online distribution channels and the shear volume of production with the reduction of cost in electronic music equipment and software. You can pretty much make anything for almost free these days if you've a PC/Mac and a stereo and are prepared to use pirated software. All of that just makes it harder to find really interesting new music.

That said in the past techno for instance was known as an area of innovation and essentially future music. Whereas mainstream techno now has nearly disappeared up its own arse of DJs taking themselves too seriously while playing blaring 4/4s with a drum role/build up every 5-8 minutes, that has little or no creative merit. There's very little variety in a lot of it, especially the festival headliner end of the genre. The term business techno didn't come into existence from nothing. 

Southvillain 07 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'm amazed only one other person has listed Global Communcation's "76:14". It's a stunning album that works as a coherent whole. I worked at RCA Records when Dedicated Records had a distribution deal with our parent, BMG Entertainment. I would order boxes of the CD to give out to anyone who I thought would like it, as it never got the attention it deserved, and hardly anyone then knew about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwH2rML4cls&list=PLg7qmEtdkxLt0MpiprqB5...

And I'd also mention (which I don't think anyone else has?) The Human League's "Travelogue". Probably the first great Brit synth-pop album (and who can resist a name check to James Burke...)

youtube.com/watch?v=B7q-aoKi530&

And on the `Human League' front, an honourable mention must go to the British Electric Foundation offshoot that became Heaven 17. Their cassette-only "Music For Stowaways" moved the game on.

youtube.com/watch?v=A5jdrMi2qVU&

Post edited at 11:23
 MonkeyPuzzle 07 May 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Yeah love all the half step stuff, there's a half step remix of Shadowboxing on 31 records is just insane....  youtube.com/watch?v=xA6G5QoEMmU&

> That's cool that you linked that tune, Samurai Red Seal was going to be my next recommend if you like Exit, but I can see you're all over it already!

> It's funny when I was a kid I was into all the dancefloor orientated DnB and as my 30's went on I got the more leftfield, esoteric styles. Not sure if that was just me getting older or this kind of stuff getting so good.  Maybe a bit of both?!

I know what you mean, but I think I just enjoy sitting down more than I used to. I went to a 20th anniversary for some Bristol jungle night last year - Digital and Luke Vibert (as Amen Andrews) absolutely destroyed the place with the most ridiculous rolling jungle. I did a 2.5hr SAS-style hit on the club, caught both their sets and then went home for a beer on the sofa, as opposed to going to the pub at 9, taking some beanos with pre-drinks and then ending up on someone's floor til 10am the next morning. It was much better!

Iamgregp 07 May 2020

Yeah I don't remember sitting down a lot in my 20s, buyt then I don't remember a lot of my 20s! 

I still love the music, but like you I've no appetite for pingers and bollocks conversations with my new best mate till stupid o-clock in the morning... 

Last time I went to a club me and the missus left before the light came on (unheard of back in the day) took a shower and went to bed and woke up feeling fine.  Much more my speed these days!

Never seen Digital play a set, hope Deadline was in there?!

Southvillain 07 May 2020
In reply to jockster:

> OK, electronic music newbie here. Can anyone recommend 10 albums from above that are good as working/background/"nodding off for a nap" purposes, cheers, Si

Not 10, but...

Global Communcation - "76:14"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzxrW_m-jEA&list=PL038F64AA82020193&...

Ulrich Schnauss "A Strangely Isolated Place"

youtube.com/watch?v=eAksZCvyZ1Y&

Kraftwerk "Radioactivity"

youtube.com/watch?v=M0D7MBBI2Ik&

KLF "Chillout"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWebqCRw7o4&t=976s

Vangelis "Blade Runner OST"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuClWnrK8yQ&list=PL3ABE2FBA2900C03E&...

OP Jon Stewart 07 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Here's a couple from that brief post-dubstep era about a decade ago:

Mount Kimbie - Crooks and Lovers

youtube.com/watch?v=pGvuw4s01TU&

James Blake - James Blake

youtube.com/watch?v=oOT2-OTebx0&

Iamgregp 07 May 2020
In reply to jockster:

Of those that have been mentioned here, I'd say these are some of the most chilled and most accessible so are a good place to start

Nightmares On Wax - Smokers Delight (don't be put off by the name and imagery on the cover, it's sublime)

Air - Moon Safari

The Cinematic Orchestra - Motion

Bjork - Debut

Getting a little more electronic/leftfield:

DJ Shadow- Endtroducing

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works

Board Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children

I know it's not 10, but I'd say those are a good place to start., and fairly varied so I'd imagine there's bound to be at least one in there that works for you....

jockster 07 May 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

Many thanks for all the suggestions, compiling playlist as we speak. Cheers, Simon

In reply to jockster:

It's not in the theme of the thread but for what you requested, you might want to listen to the album of the same name by A Winged Victory for the Sullen. Lovely summer drift into and out of music.

More in the theme of the thread but again focused on what you're after, try Coast/Range/Arc by Loscil. Unhurried ambient soundscapes but lovely for all that, very redolent of high places and cold night waters.

Alternatively, try Pergamon by Tangerine Dream.  Their best album by a distance though it wouldn't work as background music for me, I'd want the volume up a few more notches.

T.

BnB 07 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Can't be arsed to search the whole thread to see if it's been recommended already.

Melody AM by Röyksopp

Personally I prefer some proper funky house, but this is a beautiful record.

afx22 07 May 2020
In reply to BnB:

Loads of great albums already mentioned but I’d like to add LFO - Frequencies.

I’d like to have picked a New Order album too but I’m not sure they ever made one that was great all of the way through - despite making some stunning, pioneering electronic music of the highest order.

I don’t think anyone mentioned Aphex Twin’s I Care Because You Do.

artif 08 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Skinny puppy's dystemper remixes hits the spot for me.

I have to be in the right frame of mind, but all the tracks just work. 

Bob Kemp 08 May 2020
In reply to afx22:

> I’d like to have picked a New Order album too but I’m not sure they ever made one that was great all of the way through - despite making some stunning, pioneering electronic music of the highest order.

I think Technique is pretty great all the way through - one album where I never skip tracks. 

HakanT 08 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Burial: Untrue - Possibly the most influential electronic UK album this millenium. Watch the documentary here: youtube.com/watch?v=Et5B-zfAIIo&

Jon Hopkins: Singularity

Floating Points: Elaenia

Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express (and pretty much everything else they released)

Deadmau5: 4x4=12

DJ Shadow: Endtroducing

James Blake: James Blake

Massive Attack: Mezzanine

Portishead: Dummy

Roni Size: New Forms

Kiasmos: Kiasmos

Pefa 09 May 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'd like to add 4hero - Two Pages. As it is special to me as well as being just lovely and cool. 

Politics of Dancing - PVD and Marc et Claude - You Own The Sound, cheesy but good memories. Oh and Morcheeba. 

I'll leave out all the fast and the obscure stuff from my wild days as I can't be arsed with it now even though we have nearly 200 Tek, ragga dnb, hardcore etc vinyls lying at the bottom of a cupboard for 3 years unplayed. Some pretty sought after and worth a few Bob. 

OP Jon Stewart 09 May 2020
In reply to Pefa:

> I'd like to add 4hero - Two Pages. As it is special to me as well as being just lovely and cool. 

Ah yes! That track with the environmental fable by Ursula Rucker:

youtube.com/watch?v=cfHtqMOZcZc&

> It's not in the theme of the thread but for what you requested, you might want to listen to the album of the same name by A Winged Victory for the Sullen. Lovely summer drift into and out of music.

I'll give this another go. Highly acclaimed, but I didn't really get it first time round - I think I was missing the point.

In reply to BnB:

> Can't be arsed to search the whole thread to see if it's been recommended already.

Not much point just to see if it's come up, but it's really worth trawling the thread if you want to be reminded of great stuff you'd forgotten about, get recommendations of stuff you'd not heard of, or find some of the roots of early electronic music. Hours of fun, if you've got time on your hands. I've discovered loads through this thread, and there's stacks I haven't checked out yet.

Thanks all!

Blue Straggler 16 May 2020

> Also a correction to my previous post, it seems I don't have the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange. I distinctly remember buying it on vinyl recently but maybe I only handled it in the shop and didn't actually buy it. Disappointing. Although not as disappointing as not spotting my 12" of Air's Sexy Boy, with "Jeanne" featuring Francoise Hardy on the b side, whilst going through my vinyl. 

Both of these pieces of vinyl have been found. I simply didn't see the A Clockwork Orange album (can't see the wood for the trees) whereas the Air 12" had for some reason many years been put aside with some other records I thought might be worth putting on eBay (something which, happily, never happened)

Post edited at 13:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...