UKC

Final Ascent: Hamish Macinnes, Rheged

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pefa 30 Apr 2019
In reply to petegunn:

That looks really good.I have an old book of his from the seventies that charts his exploits from attempting the north face of the Eiger, Himalaya expeditions and setting up the GMR to climbing Elbrus when it was in the USSR in what appeared to be a golden age. As well as all his adventures he seemed incredibly driven throughout his life to seeking out ways to improve things for climbers. 

Jim Lancs 24 May 2019

Went to see it last night at Rheged.

Really enjoyed it, although it revealed (confirmed) a somewhat troubling picture of psychiatric and geriatric care in this country.

Although Hamish MacInnes was a 'fixture' in the climbing world during my formative years, I knew little about him and found myself really warming to him as the film went on.

Make an effort to see it! Was rather surprised there were only three of us in the cinema, and that's in a climbing area.

In reply to petegunn:

The MacRobert in Stirling was packed out last night for a showing. It was a great film and the Q & A with the producer afterwards was very revealing. I would thoroughly recommend seeing it.

Jim Lancs 24 May 2019
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> The MacRobert in Stirling was packed out last night for a showing. It was a great film and the Q & A with the producer afterwards was very revealing. I would thoroughly recommend seeing it.

That's good to hear it was packed out. I would certainly liked to have had a chance of a Q&A session with the producer - I'm sure there's a lot more to the story.

coldfell 24 May 2019
In reply to Jim Lancs:

We saw it a couple of weeks ago at Rheged and the auditorium was full, it was a showing in aid of Penrith Mountain Rescue Team, probably explains the low turnout this evening. we really enjoyed the film. What a talented man - dug out 'Call Out' to read again.

Mick Ward 25 May 2019
In reply to petegunn:

Is this film going to be widely available?  I've love to see it.

There must be very few climbers now of whom I'm still in awe. But I'm definitely still in awe of him!

Mick

Jim Lancs 25 May 2019
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Is this film going to be widely available?  I've love to see it.

There's some screenings still to go: https://www.finalascent.co.uk

Mick Ward 25 May 2019
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Many thanks indeed.

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...