UKC

First Dostoevsky novel to read

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JMarkW 23 Dec 2018

Can anyone recommend to me which Dostoevsky novel I should start with? 

I hate not finishing books and am feeling slightly daunted.

Cheers

Mark

Andy Clarke 23 Dec 2018
In reply to JMarkW:

If you want to catch him at his best then all of his great works are heavyweight in every sense of the word, although there is plenty of black humour to be enjoyed. I'd go for Crime and Punishment to start. If you're only going to read one, then I'd gird up your loins and take on The Brothers Karamazov.

Post edited at 10:46
 ripper 23 Dec 2018
In reply to JMarkW:

I started - and finished - with The Idiot. Thematically it just didn't really chime with me. It felt very much of its time and (to me at least) didn't seem to have much resonance to a modern reader. And it doesn't half ramble on....

Yanis Nayu 23 Dec 2018
In reply to JMarkW:

Crime and Punishment for sure. 

Mike_d78 23 Dec 2018
In reply to JMarkW:

Another vote for crime and punishment

mbh 23 Dec 2018
In reply to JMarkW:

I'd also vote for Crime and Punishment. I was gripped by it, but found The Brothers Karamazov a slog and didn't finish The Idiot.

Deadeye 23 Dec 2018
In reply to Mike_d78:

> Another vote for crime and punishment

And another

Siward 23 Dec 2018
In reply to Deadeye:

Yes to Crime and Punishment. 

I remember reading it as a student at the same time that a friend was reading a different translation of it. Very different and how scholarly of me to boot   

Puppythedog 23 Dec 2018
In reply to JMarkW:

I really enjoyed Crime and Punishment. 

Can’t remember whether Anna Katenina is his? If so I hated it. Have tried to read it three times and just lose interest. 

Yanis Nayu 23 Dec 2018
In reply to Puppythedog:

Anna Karenina is Tolstoy. 

Robert Durran 23 Dec 2018
In reply to JMarkW:

Crime and punishment is definitely the lightest, so maybe the best introduction. But the Brothers Karamazov, though harder work is the one to read if you are only ever going to read one; more than twenty years after I read it there are passages still burnt into my mind amongst all the sprawling magnificence.

John H Bull 23 Dec 2018
In reply to JMarkW:

Crime and Punishment beats Brothers and Idiot on all fronts. For a quick taster I'd recommend The Double or Notes From Underground.

Post edited at 19:29
 mbh 23 Dec 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

> ...But the Brothers Karamazov, though harder work is the one to read if you are only ever going to read one; more than twenty years after I read it there are passages still burnt into my mind amongst all the sprawling magnificence.

Could you point me to one? I'd like to read it. After at least twenty five years, what I still remember is that I skipped passages, even, I think, a chapter, because of (what I remember as) the spiritualism. 

The Idiot got to me after one too many a drunk person had shouted on the landing, to no discernible purpose. Or so I remember.

The passage that's burnt into my mind after twenty years is this one from the last page of Middlemarch:

"But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs."

PaulTclimbing 23 Dec 2018
In reply to JMarkW:

All of them. They're easy reading and addictive......... and then you should follow up with the Tolstoy stuff which is equally good eg. War and Peace which you wont want to put down after p114.

Post edited at 19:54
 mbh 23 Dec 2018
In reply to PaulTclimbing:

I didn't find The Brothers Karamazov or The Idiot at all easy. Tolstoy, however, is a world apart. Apart from the big two, Resurrection was magnificent, I thought.

In reply to mbh:

> Could you point me to one?

The one that has really stayed with me as much as anything I have read and which I recall regularly is the journey of someone to the scaffold to be hung. However close his death becomes, he still thinks of all there is to come first and somehow persuades himself that there is plenty of time left. I suppose it's meant to be a metaphor for all our lives, but, as a teacher, I am always reminded of it during the last week, then days, then hours of the summer holiday!

Post edited at 20:28
In reply to mbh:

> Tolstoy, however, is a world apart. Apart from the big two, Resurrection was magnificent, I thought.

Yes, Anna Karenina especially is extraordinary (in particular, of course, the duck shoot). I have to admit that during the war chapters of War and Peace I just wanted to get back to the next peace bit (which were every bit as good as Anna Karenina). I found Resurrection second rate in comparison - too religious rather than just searingly human.

Lusk 23 Dec 2018
In reply to JMarkW:

> I hate not finishing books

I know the feeling. 100 pages to go on Vanity Fair, will it ever end ...!!!
I take it you've already done https://www.waterstones.com/book/one-day-in-the-life-of-ivan-denisovich/ale... A good ruskie starter.

OP JMarkW 24 Dec 2018

Thanks everyone. Crime and punishment it is I think then. Any particular translation is best?

I struggled with modern pasternak translations of dr zhivago bit tricky found the 1958 much more readable.

Yeah Tolstoy. A favourite. War and peace three times.

Thanks everyone. 

OP JMarkW 24 Dec 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

That's funny I was the opposite! Loved the war bits!!

Not sure what that says about me....although the peacetime bits were better on subsequent reads. And I didn't need my crib sheet of characters...

In reply to JMarkW:

Thanks everyone. Crime and punishment it is I think then. Any particular translation is best?

I would go for English

Martin Bennett 28 Dec 2018

> eg. War and Peace which you wont want to put down after p114.

Bugger! I've given up on it 3 times in the last 50 years on about page 100.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...