UKC

First Man In

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

By Ant Middleton.

Is it worth the money?

The 'Look Inside' feature on the ubiquitous online shopping site makes it look like a page turner. In amongst the narrative are pages of self-help style instructions with titles like 'DON'T LET ANYONE DEFINE WHO YOU ARE' and 'MAKE FRIENDS WITH YOUR DEMONS'. I'm wondering if a book by a special forces operative might prepare us all for March 29th.

Removed User 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

A friend has listened to the audio book of this and says it was a good listen, goes back and covers his early years 

TCP 03 Feb 2019

I read the book by Jason Fox which is more of a general documentation of his mental melt down. Read it on the plane to Bulgaria. It did not prepare me for much, it did reaffirm that not having gone into the ,military was wise. Most of the characters connected to the TV show seem to have a few issues. I think Ant Middleton seems to think we all need toughening up, one example is that we should crash out of Europe as it would help to toughen/bond us - bit like the blitz.

In reply to TCP:

> one example is that we should crash out of Europe as it would help to toughen/bond us - bit like the blitz.

Never thought of the blitz as having a silver lining before and I guess there would be some winners and survivors in a crash out situation but I'd rather not bother. Sounds a bit sadomasochistic to me!

TCP 03 Feb 2019

I think the reply to the comment about all getting tougher was he should go and read lord of the flies. Think it was a comment he made on twitter. 

3 Names 03 Feb 2019
In reply to TCP:

Im not convinced the 32000 people killed during the Blitz, would agree with Ant Middleton.

planetmarshall 03 Feb 2019
In reply to TCP:

> ...we should crash out of Europe as it would help to toughen/bond us - bit like the blitz.

I agree with Andy Hamilton on the News Quiz on Friday. The only people who get to make WW2/Brexit comparisons are people who were actually there.

The New NickB 03 Feb 2019
In reply to planetmarshall:

Imagine going in to the shelters in 1940 and telling everyone in there that you voted for it!

3 Names 03 Feb 2019

Yes its quite surprising the amount of people on social media, who appear to have fought in two world wars?

wercat 03 Feb 2019

History is not your discipline, then?  Something you have in common with His Majesty Sir Tony Blair in his Divinity.

Post edited at 17:58
 DerwentDiluted 03 Feb 2019

My Grandfather was an ambulance driver in the East End of London during the Blitz and the V weapons.  Part of his job was picking up the unidentifiable blobs of flesh and putting them in wicker baskets, he attended the Bethnal Green tube station disaster and a bombed childrens hospital. It didn't toughen him up much. It broke him.

planetmarshall 03 Feb 2019
In reply to wercat:

> History is not your discipline, then?  Something you have in common with His Majesty Sir Tony Blair in his Divinity.

Come again?

What's wrong with you snivelling thumbs-down pressing imbeciles? Is it wrong to discuss creative works in the Culture Bunker now?

arch 04 Feb 2019

> What's wrong with you snivelling thumbs-down pressing imbeciles? Is it wrong to discuss creative works in the Culture Bunker now?

Not at all.

I'd say the dislikes are more to do with the fact you managed to bring Brexit into a topic started about a book.......

,.....And before you jump on me, I've not pressed any buttons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...