UKC

Gig review thread?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 14 Mar 2019

Could this be a thing like the film review thread?

OP aln 14 Mar 2019
In reply to aln:

Hey dislike stalker. Still feeling inadequate? 

OP aln 14 Mar 2019
In reply to aln:

I'll start. Me n ms aln went to see White Denim in Glasgow a few weeks ago. They were amazing. The 1st gig I went to was Slade at Glasgow Apollo about 76, fantastic. Then Ramones at the same venue. I love live music and I've been to 100's of gigs over the years. Some stand out, Ramones at Glasgow Apollo (We met them after, I shook hands with Joey!), Ian Dury, The Clash at the Apollo in 77 was a life changing moment. Then many more, my favourite band Super Furry Animals about 15 times, The Flaming Lips 5 times, always a party.

Pefa 14 Mar 2019
In reply to aln:

Seen AC DC at the Apollo think it was 1984ish amazing gig which stands out from the others there for me. 

Went with a pal down to see my fav band Hawkwind at the Stonehenge free festival in 1985 but got chased by the police and ended up in a new age travellers bus with a free pass into Glastonbury festival

Went to Glast the next two years on the trot loved it,its the best. 

Re your night in 77 at The Apollo Clash gig, me and a group of pals were wee punks then and planned to break in to the Apollo through an emergency exit or window- like we did at the pictures-for that gig as we had no money (I was 10 years old) it fell through and I was gutted but I did end up going up there dressed as a punk that night but unfortunately I broke off from the punks heading to the Apollo as I was being taken with my Da to see Sydney Devine in the Pavilion. What an embarrassment! 

PS was there not some sort of a mini  riot that night? 

In reply to aln:

Good thread

First time I saw the flaming lips I was amazed by the show, it wasn't just about the music, although that was top notch.

Second time I about 5 years ago, Wayne came across as self important, almost messianic which really put me off. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood.

Two really good recent gigs were the wave pictures, who play great tunes and just seem to enjoy themselves, and Seth lakeman, who I hadn't heard from for 10 years but his recent album has some great folk tunes, many played in a pretty rock style, great musician and good performance.

Interested to hear recommendations for currently touring bands. Going to see the wedding present in 6 weeks time really looking forward to that.

OP aln 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Brilliant. I think it was the 2nd Clash gig that had the riot, I was there too!

OP aln 14 Mar 2019
In reply to mountain.martin:

I've seen the Flaming Lips 5 times, Wayne is always self important and proselytizing, it's part of the experience. 

OP aln 14 Mar 2019
In reply to aln:

I recently saw White Denim live. They were awesome, in the true expression of the word.

Stichtplate 14 Mar 2019
In reply to aln:

Top gigs this century (stuffs just too hazy pre-millenium).

The National at Manchester Night and Day. Just so civilised to sit at a table with a pint and listen to a top notch band.

The Pixies at Castlefield Bowl. I never got to see them first time round and the acoustics were brilliant for an outdoor venue.

Calexico at Manchester Academy. They brought a mariachi band over with them and also performed with Iron and Wine.

Bonnie Prince Billy at Manchester Cathedral. Just a great fit with the venue for some weird reason.

Alex@home 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

Some favourites

Pixies at Manchester Apollo a few years ago. An outstandingly paced set. They knew just when us old knackers needed a break from moshing!

Slow Readers Club at Manchester Albert Hall. Their first headline show in a venue that size and they more than filled it. Songs about depression shouldn't be that uplifting but I Saw A Ghost belted out by 1500 people was one of the most life affirming things I've ever been part of.

Underworld playing Dubnobasswithmyhead at Albert Hall and Leftfield playing Leftism at The Apollo. Put these together as it's the same idea and the same result. Like being in my 20s again.

Primitives, Wonder Stuff, That Petrol Emotion all at UEA in about 1988/89. Nights that got me into live music.

And in the interest of balance one of the worst was Hacienda Classical at Castle field Bowl last year. A set full of lame pop songs, Peter Hook playing the worst DJ set I've ever heard and then completely destroying blue Monday and we were surrounded by obnoxiously pissed people who were really annoying. Other than that it was a top night!

OP aln 14 Mar 2019

In reply to rst DJ set I've ever heard and then completely destroying blue Monday and we were surrounded by obnoxiously pissed people who were really annoying. Other than that it was a top night!

We went to Manchester last year to sèe Gruff Rhys play with an orchestra. Two eejits in front of us were tàlking loud and non stop till 6 songs in I'd had enough and asked them to shut up.

Alex@home 14 Mar 2019
In reply to aln:

If the music had been any good I might have done the same!

OP aln 14 Mar 2019
In reply to aln:

I saw White Denim live recently. They were f*cking awesome. 

IM 14 Mar 2019
In reply to aln:

Too many... but Rory Gallagher [78] and Thin Lizzy [77] at the Glasgow Apollo still stand out. 

OP aln 14 Mar 2019
In reply to IM:

That was the enemy to me in those days. Now I've grown up, those were gigs I'd love to have been to.

Blue Straggler 15 Mar 2019
In reply to aln:

> Could this be a thing like the film review thread?

It’ll work totally differently as you’ll be describing experiences that are impossible for others to replicate and will quickly become a bit competitive regarding which glorious moments everyone else missed out due to not being born etc 

In reply to Blue Straggler:

I think aln was hoping it could be more about reviews of currently touring bands, that others might be able to go and see if they get the heads up. Thats what I was hoping for anyway.

If it goes off into "best gig ever" then it could be interesting but not so useful. 

Tobes 15 Mar 2019
In reply to aln:

In no particular order-

Van Morrison performing Astral Weeks at the Royal Albert Hall

the Cure at the Hammersmith Odeon, smallest venue I’d seen them in-crowd and band were having a blast

Jeff Buckley, Velvet Underground, the Orb, Radiohead, Beck and many many more at a variety of Glastonbury’s

Spiritualized shortly after the split from Spacemen 3 at a local venue with about 10 people in the audience 

Flinticus 15 Mar 2019

> I think aln was hoping it could be more about reviews of currently touring bands, that others might be able to go and see if they get the heads up. Thats what I was hoping for anyway.

In this spirit, I recommend Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs (7 if you count them). Heavy doom with a touch of punk. Touring and in Glasgow April

Going to see Fat White Family in May. Like their tunes and a friend says they are great live.

In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks, I think pigs x7 are playing cardiff. Might have a look at that.

scoobydougan 15 Mar 2019
In reply to Flinticus:Haven't been to a gig in ages but would love to see the Fat white family. Sorry Fat white family 

Post edited at 22:38
 Hooo 16 Mar 2019

It should be Pigs ^ 7 , being pedantic

Heard them on 6 Music, it should be a good gig.

Blue Straggler 16 Mar 2019

Me too, but just look at it! I think just two or three current bands mentioned , and the rest of it a massive nostalgia-fest 

OP aln 16 Mar 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> It’ll work totally differently as you’ll be describing experiences that are impossible for others to replicate and will quickly become a bit competitive regarding which glorious moments everyone else missed out due to not being born etc 

Fair point.

OP aln 16 Mar 2019

> I think aln was hoping it could be more about reviews of currently touring bands, that others might be able to go and see if they get the heads up. 

That's more the kind of thing I was hoping for.

OP aln 28 Mar 2019
In reply to aln:

I saw White Denim in Glasgow a few weeks ago. I only have one album, Corsicana Lemonade, it's a good album but not a favourite. Everything I read about White Denim said they were amazing live so we bought a couple of tickets and went along. Wow! What a fantastic band. They improvised without being wanky, incredible musicianship without being muso, they went from quiet and beautiful to rocking like like f*ck in an instant. Someone in the crowd asked for a cover version, James the singer said "Yeah right like we're going to play someone else's music!" Then they went into a weird 5 minute jazz calypso oddysey that ended in a heavy metal workout. Go see this band if you get a chance!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...