UKC

Hard Rock 3rd edition £100???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 26 Aug 2018

So I can't get onto the rock atm due to health reasons and was looking at picking up some reading material. I got looking at Hard Rock and noticed that copies of the third edition are going for £100+ whilst the first and second editions can be picked up at £40. Does anyone know why this is?

Cheers

Michael

Pedro50 26 Aug 2018
In reply to Tigger:

The internet is batshit. There's a 1st edition being offered on ABE books for £3,200! 

The third edition may have replaced the route that fell down (Engineers' slabs?) from previous editions but I don't actually know. 

DaveHK 26 Aug 2018
In reply to Tigger:

It seems to be standard practice to slap a ridiculous price on anything out of print or otherwise limited / rare. I assume this means there are people out there who will pay that kind of price or why would booksellers do it?

OP Tigger 26 Aug 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

I just can't work out why I can pick up a 1975 first edition for £70 but the 1992 edition was £100 - £140, a price that only Extreme Rock was fetching until its price went North somewhat! Seems crazy. I think the £3000+ copy is being sold as new, but still seems nuts.

Post edited at 12:07
 Pedro50 26 Aug 2018
In reply to Tigger:

Well would you prefer a 3rd edition (possibly more up to date) or a 1st edition (usually preferred by collectors)? 

OP Tigger 26 Aug 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

That kind of my point, the edition preferred by collectors usually attracts the higher price but in this instance not so...  

Colin Moody 26 Aug 2018
In reply to Tigger:

> I got looking at Hard Rock and noticed that copies of the third edition are going for £100+ whilst the first and second editions can be picked up at £40. Does anyone know why this is?

No, but a later edition had a lot more photos (maybe some in colour?).

Steve Clegg 26 Aug 2018
In reply to ….

- I picked up a copy of the 3rd edition (1992) of Hard Rock for £1.99 at Oxfam in Belper on Friday. There is some new content (e.g. photos, historical references) compared to the first edition, but the list of routes remains the same.

- It was Deer Bield Buttress that fell down in 1997.

- There's an audio article here https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05w5d72 about erratic book pricing.

Hope some of this helps.

Steve

In reply to Steve Clegg:

> - There's an audio article here https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05w5d72 about erratic book pricing.

I just posted a link to that podcast then realised it was the same one.

Phil1919 26 Aug 2018
In reply to Tigger:

What is Cold Climbs worth these days?

OP Tigger 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

A quick google suggests £30 - £60 atm

McHeath 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

> What is Cold Climbs worth these days?

It's not on sale any more. Frozen assets.

OP Tigger 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Tigger:

I found a 1974 first edition for £20 in the end, it appears there is some sanity left in the world.

Co1in H 30 Aug 2018
In reply to Tigger:

Second edition, signed by Ken Wilson on that auction site for £49.

Siward 30 Aug 2018
In reply to Tigger:

That's my pension sorted then!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...