UKC

Help with children's TV program from the 80s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
This is an offshoot from the 'Things that used to scare you as a kid' thread. I'm trying to remember a children's TV program from the 80s. It wasn't the Children of the Stones or the Tomorrow People but it was similar and strange and had a load of teenagers running around some type of stately home and gardens like Tatton Park and i think there were statues of animals that came to life.

Anyone remember it?

Cheers
Seb
 doz generale 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:

Dark towers?
In reply to doz generale:

Hang on i'll just check on youtube. That sounds good though. Cheers
In reply to doz generale:

No it's not that. Something similar though. I can remember things turning to stone for some reason.
 Tom Last 04 Feb 2013

Moondial with Helena Bonham Carter?
In reply to Southern Man:

That's the one, cheers
 Blue Straggler 04 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy)
>
> Moondial with Helena Bonham Carter?

that wasn't HBC, it was Siri Neal (who was rather memorable, even if only a minor support role, a few years later in The Cloning of Joanna May)
 Tom Last 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
> [...]
>
> that wasn't HBC, it was Siri Neal (who was rather memorable, even if only a minor support role, a few years later in The Cloning of Joanna May)

Good knowledge, dunno where I got HBC from then funny how your memory plays tricks on you!
>
> Moondial with Helena Bonham Carter?

Actually just had a look through the Moondial clips on youtube and it looks similar but that isn't the program i'm looking for. I specifically remember statues coming to life like dinosaurs or dragons?

RockAngel 05 Feb 2013
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy: Tom's Midnight Garden?

anyhoos, found this link that you might find useful: http://www.mjsimpson.co.uk/timeline/1980s.html

The Enchanted Castle

In reply to RockAngel:

Thanks for that link, very interesting. Will check out Tom's Midnight Garden and Enchanted Castle on youtube.
ice.solo 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
> [...]
>
> that wasn't HBC, it was Siri Neal (who was rather memorable, even if only a minor support role, a few years later in The Cloning of Joanna May)

how the hell do you know these things?
 Dauphin 06 Feb 2013

Yeah, Sometimes I'm reminded of it walking around stately home gardens or London parks but I'm not sure what it was called. None of the above though. Found the Phoenix & the Carpet while looking for it though which made me smile. All frightfully plummy though ain't it?

D
In reply to Dauphin:
>
> Yeah, Sometimes I'm reminded of it walking around stately home gardens or London parks but I'm not sure what it was called. None of the above though. Found the Phoenix & the Carpet while looking for it though which made me smile. All frightfully plummy though ain't it?
>
> D

Yeah, very plummy. It seems there were a lot of very similar programs made at the time, Children of Green Knowe being another one. I think a lot of 70s and 80s children's programs were influenced by the evacuations in the war and CS Lewis. Lots of middle class kids running around stately homes getting into adventures.

I haven't been able to check The Enchanted Castle yet as not on Youtube.

>
> I haven't been able to check The Enchanted Castle yet as not on Youtube.

I think the series has been lost. There's some discussion here:

http://www.sausagenet.org/YaBB.pl?num=1200488105/0

Bobling 07 Feb 2013

Wow, just watched the first few minutes of the Moondial and am amazed by how it appears to be a prequel to Resident Evil. All that's missing are Zombies!
 ThunderCat 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Bobling:

As a complete tangent (but sort of on the subject of 80's / 90's tv programs)...remember Knightmare? Kid in a helmet directed around a digitally created dungeon?

I was on that.

crustypunkuk 07 Feb 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:
I was desperate to be on that when i were a lad. Think i wrote 3 times to try and get on, but never managed.
 ThunderCat 07 Feb 2013
In reply to crustypunkuk:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)
> I was desperate to be on that when i were a lad. Think i wrote 3 times to try and get on, but never managed.

Had a VHS copy of the episode we were on, which thankfully was binned and lost...the memory was lost forever.

Then some bastard came along and invented the internet and Youtube.
Bobz 07 Feb 2013
In reply to ThunderCat: Do you remember an evil jester man on that - it was my uncle! he was quite frightening!
 ThunderCat 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Bobz:
> (In reply to ThunderCat) Do you remember an evil jester man on that - it was my uncle! he was quite frightening!

I remember Folly - he was on our episode. He wasn't that evil, was he?

jon haynes 07 Feb 2013
My first thought was that it was Moondial that you were after (which used to terrify me). Then I thought it could be a series called 5 Children and It?
 UKC Forums 07 Feb 2013
This thread was started in the OFF BELAY forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Culture Bunker - A forum dedicated to reviews and discussion of media and the arts. Just read a book? Why not share it by writing a review. Love music? Want to critique the latest releases? The Culture Bunker is the place. Seen a play or a film? Let's hear about it. This is the place to come if you are looking for a book, album or film recommendation.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Dauphin 07 Feb 2013
In reply to jon haynes:

No, it was set on in a stately home garden - at night the statues of dinosaurs would come alive although I think this was more implied than actually filmed - noises and shadows off camera. Very plummy accents and period costumes. I couldn't tell you what the central premise of the story arc was but it had a powerful affect on my imagination as a kid.

D
In reply to Turdus torquatus:
>
> [...]
>
> I think the series has been lost. There's some discussion here:
>
> http://www.sausagenet.org/YaBB.pl?num=1200488105/0

That's annoying, i thought i was getting close.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...