UKC

Hereditary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 14 Jun 2018

Looking forward to seeing this over the weekend.

Been waiting since the first trailers released

Anyone else going?

Anti-faff 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I watched the trailer when it was released and I'm pretty sure I'll be catching The Nopetrain to F*ckthatville on that one. 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer used to sh*t me up though so it was probably never on the cards. 

Bob Kemp 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Anti-faff:

"pretty sure I'll be catching The Nopetrain to F*ckthatville on that one"

Getting that on a T-shirt I think...

Blue Straggler 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I am planning to do so but not sure when. I might be able to squeeze it in tomorrow if there is a late enough screening (seeing something else first, either "mystery movie" at the independent cinema, or a nationwide one-off of The Big Lebowski).
If not tomorrow, then maybe Sunday. If not Sunday it might be pushed back to next weekend

The trailer is effective but then it is easy to make a promising trailer from any horror film, good or bad 
(I remember thinking that An American Haunting looked properly great, and it was RUBBISH)

OP Flinticus 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yeah though few ever acquire the almost universal praise this is getting. The last few I saw that received good reviews from reviewers that matter, e.g. A Quite Place, It Follows, The Witch, lived up to the hype.

If this disappoints I will be...shocked

In reply to Flinticus:

Sorry, I was rather let down by A Quiet Place and The VVitch!

It Follows was wonderfully engaging but when you reflect on its "resolution" you realise that it hasn't been thought through properly (i.e. everyone still has to always live in fear because the entity can always kill backwards to them)

One that stood up really well was Happy Death Day, but as that was done tongue-in-cheek, it didn't get included in all the "serious" analyses of modern horror. 

By the way I liked the first The Conjuring, and the first two Insidious films (especially #2) - just mentioning it in case you think I am just being a snob about the new wave of modern popcorn horror. 

(really liked "Don't Breathe" as well, but that's not horror in terms of supernatural, it's just a thriller really)

In reply to Flinticus:

The Cabin in the Woods got universal acclaim and ended up a bit "meh", I think reviewers were bowled over that it showed its hand in the very first scene, so they were falling over themselves to call it "meta" and "a total game changer"

But I have good hopes for Hereditary, I look forward to hearing what you think about it. 

OP Flinticus 14 Jun 2018

SPOILERS to A Quite Place and The Witch

Ha! I didn't think much of Insidious! Not enough to watch Insidious 2.

I loved A Quite Place and The Witch but not the final scenes of both: AQP fell into cliche (OK, with two females rather than the usual male(s), but still, more of the 'come on, mother******s, we're ready for you': it was too much Bruce Campbell revving up his chainsaw) and the flying witches: too Hammer House for my liking and detracting from the dark menace of the devil goat (the goat was the star)

In reply to Flinticus:

I wanted The VVitch to remain really ambiguous

A Quiet Place was odd because aside from having a baby and being on screen for the majority of the film, and being the headline star, Emily Blunt’s character could virtually have been removed from the film without changing much.

i just thought there were some inconsistencies , themselves inconsistent with what seemed to be a well thought out film 

I was sure there was a shot, when they first turn on their lights, showing other residences around the valley doing likewise. Clearly I misinterpreted a visual and that is my fault not the film’s, but it gave me an expectation of interaction and drama which never came. Plus the film never gave me a reason to like this family . You need to root for your protagonists a BIT! They seemed nice enough I guess, but I wasn’t too bothered about what would happen to them as they didn’t seem to have much of a goal or at least they didn’t discuss it (I know, I know)

Post edited at 17:50
 aln 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

> the dark menace of the devil goat

Ah ha! This explains your reply to me on the vegan thread...

OP Flinticus 14 Jun 2018

What annoyed me was their decision to have a baby in those circumstances. How irresponsible, both to their other children and to the baby. At least wait for the kids to grow up a bit before reducing your own chances of survival.

Blue Straggler 15 Jun 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Yes it was purely designed for the sake of the dramatic birth in turn purely designed for the trailer (and why didn't she fix that nail sticking up from the stairs much sooner?)

Or the baby thing was because they thought had a mission to repopulate - but again this needed to have been explained in proper exposition.

OP Flinticus 15 Jun 2018

I think the baby was supposed to represent 'hope' and an attempt at healing themselves given the loss of their youngest child in the opening scenes. Though, still inexcusably irresponsible and ill-matched to their otherwise cautious survival lifestyle.

In reply to Flinticus:

> Though, still inexcusably irresponsible and ill-matched to their otherwise cautious survival lifestyle.

A bit like putting the youngest daftest child at the rear and the deaf girl next :-D 

In reply to Flinticus:

Would you mind posting your thoughts about Hereditary on the June film thread? Trying to keep those threads alive

OP Flinticus 15 Jun 2018

Yeah, no problem. Got tickets booked for tomorrow. Recliner seats at the Odeon (I love the big O with the trippy colours and sound effects - completely hits the chill out button!)

Blue Straggler 16 Jun 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I’ve seen it 

I’ll say no more for now 

HB1 17 Jun 2018

I've seen it - there is really little worth saying IMO 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...