UKC

I cannot remember anything nastier...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Clarke 20 Nov 2020

...than the Tory Right in the Commons.

I wonder how many fans of climbing literature and history can identify which of the all-time undisputed English climbing greats said this in an interview. He passionately lamented "the substitution of a reasonably non-pompous altruism by unashamedly vulgar self-interest" and devoted his professional life to trying to achieve "fair shares all round."

baron 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Jack Longland’s comments about the Thatcher era’s affects on the education service.

OP Andy Clarke 20 Nov 2020
In reply to baron:

Spot on. A personal hero, as both climber and educator.

baron 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> Spot on. A personal hero, as both climber and educator.

Thanks for posting the quote - it encouraged me to read Perrin’s article about Longland.

A fascinating man indeed - Longland that is not Perrin.

”The more he sees of humanity, the more he loves your dog.”

Rob Parsons 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Where's the quote from?

OP Andy Clarke 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

As baron said, it's from Jim Perrin's article The Essential Jack Longland, which is essentially the transcript of an interview and can be found in The Climbing Essays. Whatever ones thoughts about Perrin - and I accept he can divide opinion - this is a significant collection.

Longland has been particularly on my mind lately because of his pioneering work in setting up the first Outdoor Pursuits Centre, in his role as Director of Education for Derbyshire - such centres are more under threat than ever because of the pandemic. And given the ludicrous atomisation of education through academisation I doubt we're going to see any more visionaries of Longland's stature able to exercise such dramatic influence for good.

Post edited at 13:34
 Pedro50 20 Nov 2020
In reply to baron:

> Jack Longland’s comments about the Thatcher era’s affects on the education service.

My Word!

Rob Parsons 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> As baron said, it's from Jim Perrin's article The Essential Jack Longland, which is essentially the transcript of an interview and can be found in The Climbing Essays. ...

Ok, thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...