UKC

I don't own a TV

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 18 Apr 2018

I don't own a TV

Actually I do, I just thought that I would pre-empt the nay-sayers. I was just curious as to why cinema and theatre are seen as culturally valid and television merely as another 'opiate of the masses'. 

Every time a thread appears on this forum concerning something on the small screen, you can bet that within a half dozen posts someone will announce proudly that they dont own a television as they have better things to do with their lives, presumably amongst the climbing/running/cycling etc they are happy to spend time at the cinema or theatre. Heavens knows I have seen some pretty terible plays and some absolutely diabolical films and yes television does have a large proportion of, lets be generous and call it 'low brow' viewing but to completely deny the 'good' because of the bad makes no sense to me.

It's all about the ability to distinguish the 'wheat from the chaff' which is no different from theatre, cinema or indeed any other form of cultural expression.

I suppose it was reading an article on the ten year anniversary of the ending of The Wire, which prompted me to re-watch it and all I can say is wow! it remains a phenomenal piece of drama which features and extended cast that are at the absolute top of their game. I think Charlie Brooker puts it better than me :-

youtube.com/watch?v=sZ2iGYwdEi8&

Why cut of your nose to spite your face when there is such quality available and no-one is forcing to watch the rubbish !

d_b 18 Apr 2018
In reply to GravitySucks:

Not owning a TV is sooooooo 20th century.  These days you have to not own a smart phone to keep up.

Blue Straggler 18 Apr 2018
In reply to d_b:

> Not owning a TV is sooooooo 20th century.  These days you have to not own a smart phone to keep up.

That's soooooo 2016

These days you have to not buy supermarket bread, meat and eggs to keep up

Ramblin dave 18 Apr 2018

> Every time a thread appears on this forum concerning something on the small screen, you can bet that within a half dozen posts someone will announce proudly that they dont own a television as they have better things to do with their lives, presumably amongst the climbing/running/cycling etc they are happy to spend time at the cinema or theatre.

Really? I can't say that I've ever noticed it. But then, I don't really look at those threads because I don't own a TV.

profitofdoom 18 Apr 2018
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> Really? I can't say that I've ever noticed it. But then, I don't really look at those threads because I don't own a TV.

I own 24 TVs and have them spread all over the house so there

I just binge watched series 1 of the Wire on an A380 and it was better than the first time I watched it 8 years ago . The best TV show I have ever seen. Going to dig out the DVDs and work through the next 4 series over the coming months. 

Edit - I also watched Dunkirk (brilliant!) and Darkest Hour (excellent) and the first episode of series 9 of Curb Your Enthusiasm called "Foisted" and p1ssed myself laughing throughout. 

Post edited at 11:27
 d_b 18 Apr 2018

Well I can't look at those threads because I don't have an internet connection.

I'm getting one of my neighbours to post this by sending smoke signals.

In reply to d_b:

Smoke signals?

LUXURY

We used to DREAM of smoke signals

Well, I say "dream", we were never allowed to sleep actually

Ha! As if to prove my earlier point, this just popped up (with apologies and a "no offence" to Moley who I am quoting out of context and who made a reasonable post in context):

"A few weeks ago I slaughtered a lamb for my sister on her small holding, dressed it, we hung it in a shed, butchered and into her freezer.

This isn't for everyone, but the connection to the meat and what it is, I find far preferable to the packaged bits of flesh in a supermarket cabinet. "

The Lemming 18 Apr 2018

Is it just me, or did other people notice a lot of whispering and have to turn up the volume for the dialogue on The Wire?

MonkeyPuzzle 18 Apr 2018

I don't have a TV because I have an embarrassingly addictive personality and I would sit and watch dross non-stop if it was there in the corner. 

I'd venture that since The Wire, TV has been re-realised as the medium in which to really push complex storylines and character-development, over and above cinema. Compare the Alec Guinness Tinker Tailor serial to the recent Gary Oldman led film as an easy example.

subtle 18 Apr 2018

Hmm, we only have one TV, but also (within house) laptop, ipads and smart phones which can all be used to watch TV shows.

Quite often no TV shows are watched we we are in.

We also grow our own fruit and vegetables and make our own bread (although we do buy the flour as opposed to making it ourselves).

I don't even know what a TV is.

What is a TV?

Ramblin dave 18 Apr 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> I'd venture that since The Wire, TV has been re-realised as the medium in which to really push complex storylines and character-development, over and above cinema.

Yeah, I think that's the approved Guardian-reader take on it these days.

Post edited at 12:59
 gethin_allen 18 Apr 2018

The distinction with cinema is surely just a case of chosing  exactly what you do and don't see and putting a value on what you see, quite a hefty value considering the cost of cinema tickets and the associated stuff.

I'll be the one to say that I haven't got a TV but this is just a reflection that I don't believe it's good value. Different people value different things. Many people snort coke but  would think spending £50 on a cam was ludicrous. Before the change in iPlayer rules I did watch the occasional show (maybe a hour a week) but this wasn't enough to convince me to pay for a license and therefore I don't bother any more.

I don't really go to the cinema much either.

aln 18 Apr 2018
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> I don't even know what a TV is.

> What is a TV?

A man who enjoys dressing like a woman. I don't own one either. 

MonkeyPuzzle 18 Apr 2018

> Yeah, I think that's the approved Guardian-reader take on it these days.

Huh. Who pissed on your polenta chips?

ianstevens 18 Apr 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> That's soooooo 2016

> These days you have to not buy supermarket bread, meat and eggs to keep up

Also crucial that you delete facebook whilst continuing to use other Facebook-owned services

The New NickB 18 Apr 2018

> I'd venture that since The Wire, TV has been re-realised as the medium in which to really push complex storylines and character-development, over and above cinema. Compare the Alec Guinness Tinker Tailor serial to the recent Gary Oldman led film as an easy example.

I can’t say I’ve noticed this watching ITV2!

MonkeyPuzzle 18 Apr 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

ITV2 is the long form version of the video Alex is forced to watch in A Clockwork Orange. Cutting edge stuff.

Bob Hughes 18 Apr 2018

> I'd venture that since The Wire, TV has been re-realised as the medium in which to really push complex storylines and character-development, over and above cinema. 

I think the Sopranos was the turning point. 

felt 18 Apr 2018

> These days you have to not buy supermarket bread, meat and eggs to keep up

That was already becoming passé in about 1971.

August West 18 Apr 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> I just binge watched series 1 of the Wire .... Going to dig out the DVDs and work through the next 4 series over the coming months. 

When I got the DVDs I watched all five series in 6 days. I watched it again recently and spent a more leisurely two weeks. Great stuff.

yorkshireman 18 Apr 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> Is it just me, or did other people notice a lot of whispering and have to turn up the volume for the dialogue on The Wire?

My dad used to watch it with the subtitles on.

FBSF 18 Apr 2018

how do you know when someone does not have a television .....

gravy 18 Apr 2018

I was just curious as to why... "

Come dine with me", need I say more?

In reply to felt:

> That was already becoming passé in about 1971.

Retro chic, daaaaahling

In reply to Bob Hughes:

> I think the Sopranos was the turning point. 

Nah
The BBC's The Forsyte Saga was it. 100 million viewers! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forsyte_Saga_(1967_series)

felt 19 Apr 2018

> Retro chic, daaaaahling

Another yesterday concept

OP GravitySucks 19 Apr 2018
In reply to FBSF:

> how do you know when someone does not have a television .....

Because, as when they are a vegan, .... they tell you !

OP GravitySucks 19 Apr 2018
In reply to gravy:

> Come dine with me", need I say more?

A wise man once said ..."It's all about the ability to distinguish the 'wheat from the chaff' which is no different from theatre, cinema or indeed any other form of cultural expression."

aln 20 Apr 2018

I think I've said it before, I have a TV but don't watch telly. 

OP GravitySucks 20 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

Not sure what that means, if it means that you don't watch live television then fair enough, if it means that you don't watch any programs made for television then you are missing out.

Blue Straggler 20 Apr 2018

I don't watch MANY programmes made for television and I am well aware that I am missing out. 

I have S3-5 (or is it 6) of Breaking Bad to "catch up with" (probably just start from the beginning actually)
S2 True Detective
All of The Wire (I own S1 and S2)

Aside from Jessica Jones and The End of the F***ing World and Detectorists, these are the only things I truly feel I am missing out on.

I am aware of Fargo, Homeland, The Bridge, Spirals, Black Mirror, Fortitude, Mad Men etc and they all look very good but I don't think my life has a gaping cultural void from not having seen any of them. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be snobby, quite the opposite - I'd love to see them but I just don't seem to be able to make the time for it all!

Oh! I do have an addiction to Community and Curb Your Enthusiasm   

Tom Valentine 20 Apr 2018

S2 Westworld coming very soon and more eagerly awaited by me than any feature film ever made.

says the bloke who goes to the cinema every night to watch (mostly) a load of dross

Post edited at 09:22
 Blue Straggler 20 Apr 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> says the bloke who goes to the cinema every night to watch (mostly) a load of dross

Yeah, I set you up for that one
OP does say " I was just curious as to why cinema and theatre are seen as culturally valid and television merely as another 'opiate of the masses'. " which made me smile given that I've seen so much cinematic dross this year alone
<shudders at the thought of Red Sparrow>

aln 20 Apr 2018

I use my telly for xbox with my son, and occasionally DVD's. 

> I don't watch MANY programmes made for television and I am well aware that I am missing out. 

> I have S3-5 (or is it 6) of Breaking Bad to "catch up with" (probably just start from the beginning actually)

> S2 True Detective

> All of The Wire (I own S1 and S2)

> Aside from Jessica Jones and The End of the F***ing World and Detectorists, these are the only things I truly feel I am missing out on.

> I am aware of Fargo, Homeland, The Bridge, Spirals, Black Mirror, Fortitude, Mad Men etc and they all look very good but I don't think my life has a gaping cultural void from not having seen any of them. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be snobby, quite the opposite - I'd love to see them but I just don't seem to be able to make the time for it all!

> Oh! I do have an addiction to Community and Curb Your Enthusiasm   

Fortitude? Nooooooo!

In reply to Tom Valentine:

But what if it's not as good? (I fret about that)

Tom Valentine 20 Apr 2018
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

I'll take that chance as long as Dolores is as ramped up as the trailers seem to show.

Give it a couple of years and you'll be able to buy a 65" telly for the price of 20 cinema tickets.

In reply to becauseitsthere:

I just can not wait 

// www the white dot

nickh1964 11 May 2018

The OP makes a valid point, despite all the tongue in cheek and silly posts, TV is a choice, and there is some great stuff out there, along with a lot of dross, just like films, books, plays etc. Having the discernment to find and enjoy what you like is surely important in the consumption of any entertainment, sometimes you want to be educated and engaged, sometimes thrilled and some nights you just need a laugh. TV can provide all of those, just like other media can, and you can always switch it off. I am hugely enjoying Superstore at the moment, and love Gardeners world, would not have missed The Wire for all the tea in China. But sometimes it stays off.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...