UKC

If you could pick one artist/band/group?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 29 Nov 2012
And this would be the only artist/group/band that you could only listen to, like, forever, who would it be?

No lists, but you do have to explain your choice why.
 tim000 29 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming: led zep . best band in the world , ever.
 Toby S 29 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Iron Maiden.

First got into them when I was 12 and I still listen to them nearly every day. Extensive back catalogue to pick from and another two singers to listen to if I get bored of Brucie.
estivoautumnal 29 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Leonard Cohen.

Or

One of the Marsalis brothers.

I'd need to draw straws.
 The Norris 29 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Aphex twin for me. He's produced such a wide variety of styles of music over the years, from beautiful orchestral style pieces to crazy techno, with all the beautiful ambience in between. there's a music for every mood in his back catalogue.
 Bruce Hooker 29 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Bob Dylan, although after a few years I might like another one too.
 Fredt 29 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Bob Dylan - 50 years of work, although only about 20 years worth of good stuff.
But it's all things, music, lyrics, poetry, politics, tragedy, comedy, romance, and the best storyteller.
johnj 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Toby S:

Yeah good call. Would be a tough choice but would have to go for Maiden, never get bored of em.
 Glyno 29 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Probably Springsteen.
Huge repertoire, and I'm sure there'd be something to suit whatever the mood.
In reply to The Lemming: Dead Can Dance.

I'm seeing them at Sydney Opera House in feb!!!
 Toby S 29 Nov 2012
In reply to stroppygob:

I've not listened to them in years. I didnt realise they were still on the go! I feel a spotify session coming on!
 Blue Straggler 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Toby S:

They sporadically reactivate, a bit like The Cure, when roused from Goth hibernation by the odour of filthy lucre I was meant to see them in 2005 but a bust ankle put paid to that. Saw Lisa Gerrard in 2007 or 2008 though, and seen Mr Perry at the Scala around 2001, so that'll do me
 Andúril 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Toby S:
Yep, Maiden for sure.
 Doug 30 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Either Dylan or Miles Davis (both have the advantage of having recorded in many different styles that choosing either is a bit like having several artistes for the price of one)
 john arran 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Doug:

Miles is a good call but for even greater range of styles if we're allowed composers too I'd go for Ennio Morricone.
 Fredt 30 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Tom Waits

Every style of music you can think of, and words from the soul.
ice.solo 30 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

beastie boys.

because i can put their entire catalogue on shuffle and not live in fear of 'the one shit album' that tarnishes every other bands career.

and they make me smile for all the right reasons.
ice.solo 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> Tom Waits
>
good call. vying for my second place with iggy pop
 Tom Last 30 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

New Model Army.

Never tire of their music or seeing them live (although it's been a while).
 Bulls Crack 30 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Obvious but the Beatles...or maybe Dylan...I wouldn't want to wear Genesis out.
 cuppatea 30 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Pink Floyd. Because it's been "one of these days.."

Mooncat 30 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Neil Young, thought about Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen but for all round genius and diverse songwriting Young just edges it for me.
 bluebealach 30 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Not particularly a Dylan fan but the coming together of Dylan, Petty, Harrison, Orbison and Lynne and Keltner as the Traveling Wilburys just leaves me in awe with a mix of musical styles.

Mates with talent!!
 MJ 30 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Probably get spurned by the "Muso's" for this, but Queen.
Granted, they seemed to lose their way at times, but I just love the diversity of the songs they produced - I can pretty much find a track to match any mood or occasion.
 alooker 30 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming: The Beatles... For songwriting and groundbreaking production. If I can't have that because it's too obvious then in second place (marginally), Tom Waits.
 Andy Hudson 30 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
Springsteen
 birdie num num 30 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
Julian Bream. Quite simply the best classical guitarist ever. Beauty and passion in every note.
Steph-in-the-West 01 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
Chris de Burgh - amazing voice, huge variety of lyrics and style eg "Patricia the Stripper" to "No Borderline." (Ignore "Lady in Red" one of his worst!!!). I've seen him live 5 times from The Royal Albert Hall to outdoors at Powderham Castle. He gives a near 3 hour performance every time and never leaves the stage.....
 Baron Weasel 01 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

The Grateful Dead.

A quickly selected sample: youtube.com/watch?v=REz4QFfjiM0&

If I listened to complete live shows 24/7 it would still take years to hear it all and I don't think I would ever get sick of Jerry Garcia's guitar or the energy the band played with for 30 odd years after starting at the electric cool aid acid tests.

BW
 Baron Weasel 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Baron Weasel: A bit more complete with sound check youtube.com/watch?v=nekOzuD4bOs&
 Dave Garnett 01 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Richard Thompson. Amazing guitar virtuosity over a huge range of styles, acoustic folk, jazz to electric rock.

And if I had forever to listen maybe I could learn to play some of his simplest stuff. To learn to play Vincent Black Lightning 1952 would take longer than that.
 tprebs 01 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Has to be The Wurzels. Timeless, thought provoking and emotional
 ripper 01 Dec 2012
In reply to tprebs: couple of nights ago a friend of mine was telling me about a car journey to scotland, where his passenger brought along an unmarked CD and forced him to listen to it all the way there. He apparently loaded it up with the words 'you need this in your life'. It was an entire album of different versions of 'I've got a brand new combine harvester'. He said the techno interpretation was particularly, erm, memorable...
 Sl@te Head 01 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Pink Floyd.....I have never stopped listening to Pink Floyd since my school days.
 Blue Straggler 01 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
Probably Electrelane. They only made four albums and if I'm to be brutally honest, although there are a few diverse outlier tracks, it's all a bit samey (and 85% instrumental). But their existence has meant a huge amount to me since 2000, they are kind of woven into my soul, and I never tire of hearing them.
Yrmenlaf 01 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

JS Bach

Y.
 spartacus 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Sl@te Head: another vote for Pink Floyd. Keep coming back to them year after year.
 Bulls Crack 01 Dec 2012
In reply to bluebealach:
> (In reply to The Lemming) Not particularly a Dylan fan but the coming together of Dylan, Petty, Harrison, Orbison and Lynne and Keltner as the Traveling Wilburys just leaves me in awe with a mix of musical styles.
>
> Mates with talent!!

But I can't remember any of their songs
 Bulls Crack 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Garnett:
>
> Richard Thompson. Amazing guitar virtuosity over a huge range of styles, acoustic folk, jazz to electric rock.
>
> And if I had forever to listen maybe I could learn to play some of his simplest stuff. To learn to play Vincent Black Lightning 1952 would take longer than that.

Good choice but has he reached the end of his particular seam?
OP The Lemming 01 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

This is indeed a hard choice to make and reading through the posts, I've found a name or two to check out and most importantly I can't make my own mind up.

Yes I can't choose one. Its my OP and my rules, so I'm going to break them. My choice would be

Queen
Dire Strait
Peter Gabriel
Floyd.

A memorable mention has to go to Frankie's Pleasure Dome. These contemporary wanabies should simply stop killing Holly's Power of Love. This has to be the only original that has worse covers.

Twenty years ago, my only answer would have been Maiden but for some reason they no longer are. Have I outgrown them? Is such a thing even possible?
 Toby S 01 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

>
> Twenty years ago, my only answer would have been Maiden but for some reason they no longer are. Have I outgrown them? Is such a thing even possible?

You're broken and need fixed. Silly boy.
In reply to The Lemming: It's the Climbing Works 6th birthday soon, what has been the mainstay on my iPod during circuits for the past 6 years?

Pantera, Slayer, Sepultura, Metallica,
But mostly Pantera..
 Dave Garnett 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Dave Garnett)
> [...]
>
> Good choice but has he reached the end of his particular seam?

I don't see much sign of it. His new abum is to be called Electric I think, so I don't think he's ready to retread old Fairport stiff.

Anyway if he just wanted to do covers that would be OK too if they were all as good as his Britney Spears!
 johnwright 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Sl@te Head:
>
> Pink Floyd.....I have never stopped listening to Pink Floyd since my school days.

Me too.
 yeti 02 Dec 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

i think it'd have to be Jethro Tull for the usual reason, some heavy, some folky, some catchy etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...