UKC

If you could unhear one album...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 01 Jun 2018

I just came across this great clip of a guy hearing Rage Against the Machine for the first time:

http://www.openculture.com/2018/05/hip-hop-fan-freaks-out-when-he-hears-rag...

If you could unhear one album in order to listen to it for the first time again what would it be?

Pete Dangerous 01 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Wu Tang - 36 Chambers

Or Maybe Joni Mitchell - Blue

Bit of a contrast

Removed User 01 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

'Dark side of the moon' -  end of discussion.

kwoods 01 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Power Windows by Rush. Discovering the raw power of their mid-era stuff was a bit like being hit by a bus. The thrill wears off with familiarity, unfortunately.

Hat Dude 01 Jun 2018
In reply to Removed Userclaire14:

> 'Dark side of the moon' -  end of discussion.

You discuss these things with yourself?

pasbury 01 Jun 2018

That would be my choice too!

robert-hutton 01 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Raw Power - Iggy Pop and the Stooges.

For 1974 so much aggression, way beyond its time.

Tyler 01 Jun 2018

I wish I could unheard Money for ever. It was the first Floyd song I heard (on a compilation album) and put me off listening to them for years. 

Chris Harris 01 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Zappa. Joe's garage.  I was forced to listen to it in the car on a climbing trip up to North Yorks. I thought it would never end. 

Removed User 01 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

In the court of the Crimson King. Dear God....

Big Ger 01 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

"Missa fors Seulement" (Ockeghem) The Clerks Group.

pasbury 01 Jun 2018
In reply to Chris Harris:

> Zappa. Joe's garage.  I was forced to listen to it in the car on a climbing trip up to North Yorks. I thought it would never end. 

I don’t think you’ve quite got the hang of this!

Bob Kemp 01 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

> I don’t think you’ve quite got the hang of this!

Looks like there’s another thread required for albums that we wish to have removed from our auditory consciousness for ever...

Chris Harris 01 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

> I don’t think you’ve quite got the hang of this!

Ah, yes. Misread the question!

Removed User 01 Jun 2018
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

er, think I also misread the OP.

Tobes 01 Jun 2018

DSOM for show, Animals for a pro

Bob Kemp 01 Jun 2018
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> er, think I also misread the OP.

But like I said, good theme for a thread!

Bulls Crack 01 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Selling England by the Pound. 

Or Foxtrot  or Nursery Cryme

Post edited at 19:05
 alx 01 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Would it really elicit the same feelings? I always find that albums or songs that have staying power are linked strongly with personal circumstances or socialital events going on at the time.

Saying that listening to Rage Against The Machine again in the current climate is particularly appropriate.

Removed User 01 Jun 2018

> Zappa. Joe's garage.  I was forced to listen to it in the car on a climbing trip up to North Yorks. I thought it would never end. 

You could be so many of my passengers.

pasbury 02 Jun 2018

In contrast, I was once given a lift in a lorry by a guy playing this incredible jazz rock stuff (I would normally stamp up and down on anything thus labelled). What is this I asked; The Grand Wazoo.

Post edited at 00:04
 Toccata 02 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Beethoven’s Op. 132. Any recording but I particularly like the Lasalle Quartet. Music so profound and naked that it makes the hair on my neck stand every time I hear it. The first time I heard it, watching the sun set  over the sea in Pembroke, I knew life would always be a little different.

In reply to pasbury:

Many candidates for this: today I'd vote for Camel's 'A Live Record'. Tomorrow, it may be different.

T.

Removed User 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

Pilgrimage to Santiago performed by Philip Pickett and The New London Consort.

colinakmc 03 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Going back along time here - Sgt Pepper’s lonely hearts club band, 1967. Don’t think we can underestimate the importance of that one.

MonkeyPuzzle 03 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Similar era to the OP: Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream.

That first intro to Cherub Rock:  youtube.com/watch?v=q-KE9lvU810& 

jamesg85 03 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left 

The voice, the incredible guitar work, especially on 3 hours. I think the best song is Riverman but there isn't really a bad track on that album. It think it's his best but think Bryter Layter and Pink moon are great too. I bought a Nick Drake song book but really struggled with these on guitar, the guitar work is understated in a way but brilliant. 

I've read two biographies on him, was and still am a massive fan. He got me into folk music and I started playing the guitar because of him. I don't have a guitar now but used to play some folk guitar.

Post edited at 01:23
 graeme jackson 03 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Dream Theater. Awake.  My first encounter with prog-metal back in the mid 90's. I was astonished at Mike Portnoy's drumming and John Myung's bass.  I'd quite like to be astonished again sometime.

D.mcgaughay 03 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

"Queen is Dead" by the Smiths, and "Holy Bible" by the Manic Street Preachers

cander 03 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

An evening with Wildman Fischer - the rest of you are just tiny bobbers you heathens

In reply to pasbury:

a track, rather than an album.

youtube.com/watch?v=UZu8aDWhM9Y&

I'm 58 now, and when this track - The Damned 'A New Rose' came out and I was 16 and just about to go up to sixth form. I kept all my Zeppelin, Jeff Beck, Pink Floyd and Prog albums (still listen to them) but this single took me off via the Stranglers and Dead Kennedys eventually to Nirvana and SoundGarden (each of whom have candidates for this thread 'Nevermind' and 'Superunknown ' respectively). I think that Damned single is responsible for my obsession with all things Slayer, Metallica, Pantera et al, but it's not immediately obvious.

I played the youtube video link and it made me smile. 76/77 at Barbarellas and Bogarts clubs in Birmingham watching The Damned, Stranglers, Sex Pistols....even the Scorpions at Bogarts, then regular Sabbath gigs at the Town Hall and the Odeon.

Great days

Paul

PS if you're going to forget a Floyd album, make it Wish you Were Here, it's like way better than Dark Side of the Moon

pasbury 04 Jun 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Damn right. New Rose was the best track that emerged from that whole punk era. I was 11 when it came out, I regarded it as ground zero and all the other old rock/prog stuff was bloated nonsense. Thank goodness I grew up a bit and discovered Floyd and led Zep a bit later.

In reply to pasbury:

"Trout Mask Replica" 

The moment when I finally got it and realised how musically competent , brilliantly written and unlike anything I had every heard before.

The first few listens I just thought they weren't even trying to play in time and it was a car wreck of an album .

How wrong I was.

Jim C 05 Jun 2018
In reply to alx:

> Would it really elicit the same feelings? I always find that albums or songs that have staying power are linked strongly with personal circumstances or socialital events going on at the time.

so true, I find myself humming tunes of artists that I don't like, usually when reviewing photos of a particularly enjoyable event where that tune was played. 

RobertHepburn 06 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

I remember dancing to the whole of the RATM album in Reading's after dark club just after in came out - they played the album straight and it was amazing.

My vote will be for the Arctic Monkeys first album - still listen to it now and it has incredible energy, artistry and thoughtfulness all rolled into one.

AndySL 07 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Inflammable Material - Stiff Little Fingers.

Still have a vivid memory of listening to it waiting for my mate to get ready for school.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...