UKC

In Bruges (possible spoilers)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

i finally got round to watching this last night. Having heard good reviews, I had high expectations. Last night, I thought it was funny, with good dialogue, but let down by improbable plotting in the final third. 

But having slept on it (and looked at a couple of reddit threads...), I’ve re-evaluated; it’s a masterpiece. The idea that Ray, Colin Farrell’s character, is effectively in purgatory, brings a level of depth to it far beyond what I’d originally though; and the intense atmosphere of claustrophobia and unreality that saturates the film makes perfect sense in this reading, and explains some of the slightly implausible plot turns eg Ray being detained on the train and brought back, and lack of police response when the shooting starts. 

A brilliant film- will watch again. And Bruges looks amazing...

Stichtplate 07 Oct 2018
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

If you liked In Bruges look out for The Guard (very funny if you don't mind your humour broad), and Calvary, probably the least commercially successful of the three but just edges it as my own favourite.

lummox 07 Oct 2018

I think it's a wonderful film. 

.. and that;s for John Lennon!

"possible spoilers"? it was released 10 years ago! I suspect you are safe from even the most rabid "wanting to be offended" types! 

That said, I am not entirely sure why you feel having watched a 10 year old film and read a few reviews is worth starting a thread 

Note to self, future threads to start: "Verbal" is Keyser Soze; Rosebud is a sledge; Bruce Willis is a ghost!

In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

> "possible spoilers"? it was released 10 years ago! I suspect you are safe from even the most rabid "wanting to be offended" types! 

You’d hope, but....

> That said, I am not entirely sure why you feel having watched a 10 year old film and read a few reviews is worth starting a thread 

well, vanity fair is on our telly, and I haven’t watched any of episodes 1-6; and no one is replying to my other posts...

In reply to lummox:

Ken: Hey, guys. I wouldn't go up there. It's really narrow. 

Overweight Woman #2: Screw you, m**********r! 

Ken: [to Ray] What was that about? 

Ray: [shrugs]

In reply to Stichtplate:

Will keep an eye out for them...

skog 07 Oct 2018

I am glad you watched and enjoyed it, it's one of my absolute favourite films. And I'm chuckling away again now that you've reminded me about it.

Did you ever see this thread?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/things_to_do_in_bruges-553710

ShortLock 07 Oct 2018

Glad you enjoyed it, I loved it.

Improbable plotting in the final third? That's why it's glorious! I was initially caught off guard by the sombre, understated-humour feel of the first half, but I think that's why I found the final scenes so hilarious. They were properly unexpected, especially the sudden combination of major and minor plots.

Blue Straggler 07 Oct 2018

It has by far the best use of the word "manky" in any film ever. 

Blue Straggler 08 Oct 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

>  Calvary, probably the least commercially successful of the three but just edges it as my own favourite.

If Ray being in purgatory in In Bruges is deep, then the allegories of Calvary are bottomless!  

btw don't be getting your McDonagh brothers muddled just because of Brendan Gleeson as a common thread
In Bruges was Martin
The Guard and Calvary were John Michael

Martin made Seven Psychopaths, one of those frustrating films wherein if the film was even half as clever as it clearly thought it was, it would have been great...and of course Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, which I felt lost its way and only scored 7/10

He also wrote a fantastic play "Hangmen" which is tense, clever, funny and thought-provoking in equal measure. 

John Michael also made War on Everyone which I have not seen.

In reply to skog:

> I am glad you watched and enjoyed it, it's one of my absolute favourite films. And I'm chuckling away again now that you've reminded me about it.

> Did you ever see this thread?

> https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/things_to_do_in_bruges-553710

Missed that one, thanks for the link!

In reply to Blue Straggler:

You’re a outlier on 3 billboards- I’ve not seen this one yet, either (recurring theme...)- but most reviews were very positive- 7/10 suggests pretty average, worth me seeking it out, or not...?

Stichtplate 08 Oct 2018

> If Ray being in purgatory in In Bruges is deep, then the allegories of Calvary are bottomless!  

Yup.

> btw don't be getting your McDonagh brothers muddled just because of Brendan Gleeson as a common thread

Guilty... but me getting my facts muddled is a fairly common thread.

nufkin 08 Oct 2018

>  It has by far the best use of the word "manky" in any film ever. 

And Colin Farrell demonstrates some of the best eyebrowwork in actingdom

LastBoyScout 08 Oct 2018

I've been to Bruges, twice - the last time was freezing cold, I had a stinking cold and seemed to be spending most of the time fishing Venture Scouts out of the fountains!

It was my Grandparent's favourite place to go, iirc.

I haven't seen the film, as I'm really not that much of a fan of Colin Farrell, but I did record it and will have a watch when I get round to it.

Andy Clarke 08 Oct 2018

> You’re a outlier on 3 billboards- I’ve not seen this one yet, either (recurring theme...)- but most reviews were very positive- 7/10 suggests pretty average, worth me seeking it out, or not...?

I can't agree with BS on this: I see it as shifting mood rather than losing its way and thought it was the best of MM's three movies. I wrote a mini review on here when it came out and I think I gave it 9/10. Even if you don't fully buy into the plot, the central performances are enough to make it a must see.

SuperstarDJ 08 Oct 2018

> He also wrote a fantastic play "Hangmen" which is tense, clever, funny and thought-provoking in equal measure. 

Several plays - of which I've only seen one but read a couple of others - any of which I would definitely go and see.  Talented family.

David

ripper 08 Oct 2018

I saw In Bruges on DVD, years ago - there's a great deleted scene with the Fiennes character (Harry?) on a train on his way to Bruges. Some travelling businessman type in the seat opposite attempts to engage him in small talk - Harry looks up from his newspaper, deadpans "If I wanted a conversation wiv a cahnt, I'd'a gone to the av a conversation wiv a cahnt shop," then carries on reading. priceless.

Removed User 08 Oct 2018
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

You’re the kind of person who stands under routes shouting things like “There’s a brilliant hidden sidepull just out to your right.”

Blue Straggler 09 Oct 2018

Regarding “Three Billboards...”, my opinion is not as outlying as it appears . Quite a few of my friends and acquaintances agree with the 6/10 or 7/10 score and so do quite a few people to whom I’ve no direct connection, such as professional critics. To each their own of course , but don’t think for a minute that my not giving it 9/10 is any sort of attention seeking nonsense. I wanted to love it. It has some great bits (Woody Harrelson voiceover narrating letters to two women, nearly had me in tears) but overall it is inconsistent in tone.

Blue Straggler 09 Oct 2018
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I haven't seen the film, as I'm really not that much of a fan of Colin Farrell

In some ways it marks a superb turning point for Farrell. After his Hollywood ascent ended somewhat disastrously with Oliver Stone’s “Alexander”, it seems almost as if Farrell saw that regardless of talent, he’s not the heir to Cruise and Pitt, and returned to Europe to thrive in much smaller films - In Bruges being the first of these. He is perfect in it (and even better in The Lobster) . I know he did Total Recall after In Bruges , and Total Recall has shamefully little to recommend it, but Farrell is grand . I must watch True Detective S2 

LastBoyScout 09 Oct 2018

His Total Recall was dire - not even the presence of Kate Beckinsale could salvage that - and I didn't like him in DareDevil, either.

rj_townsend 09 Oct 2018

I recently had a weekend break in Bruges. Parked in an underground carpark and the first person I saw as I was exiting was a midget. I had to chuckle, having only seen the film for the first time the evening before...

Carless 09 Oct 2018
In reply to rj_townsend:

What were his views on race? and were there 2 manky hookers nearby?

I was in Brusges last Sunday and didn't (knowingly) see any midgets or hookers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...