UKC

Jazz pianists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jonny 16 Oct 2020

Who are your favourite new-school jazz pianists and ones to watch?

A few of mine, approximately in order of most to least established:

—Brad Mehldau (a brilliant improviser: youtube.com/watch?v=9MZw6XI-b6Q&)

—Hiromi (perhaps the most technically accomplished here: youtube.com/watch?v=QU2893TnTbU&)

—Tigran Hamasyan (this guy is off the charts in terms of his rhythm and musicality, with stiff competition: youtube.com/watch?v=9ngz1LBniTo&)

—Cory Henry (stunning gospel improvisation: youtube.com/watch?v=TwO7rQD_uZU&)

—Jacob Collier (harmony: youtube.com/watch?v=fSjLZI-QIzc&)

—Jesus Molina (another young one that can do it all—and in incredibly clean style: youtube.com/watch?v=vCPuUn6URn4&)

—DOMi (see her collaborations with JD Beck, a 16-year-old drummer with alien skills: youtube.com/watch?v=3XN3PxVS5SQ&)

—Justin Lee Schultz (13 years old now, I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop: youtube.com/watch?v=fTGKpd2XJzw&)

Any to add?

Post edited at 15:06
 Pedro50 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

I'm more of a Count Basie guy but thanks.

Doug 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

Michel Petrucciani, unfortunately no longer with us, probably the best jazz pianist I've ever seen live, although that might have been Herbie Hancock

eg youtube.com/watch?v=zWmz5-NoFzk&

OP Jonny 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Doug:

Amazing, thanks! I didn't know him.

Here's one more, albeit of a previous generation: Friedrich Gulda        youtube.com/watch?v=B5qImtIYCvM&.

The deftness with which he plays his unique pieces is inspiring.

Post edited at 17:11
 felt 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

No idea what new-school jazz is, and I'm pretty sure this ain't it, but if you want some laidback, understated jazz piano there are few better than John Lewis of the Modern Jazz Quartet:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i-oYQt0iVo&

Quality of the repro is pretty crap, sorry. The delicious piano solo is at 3:55 if you don't care for a long vibes passage.

Jon Stewart 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

Great stuff. Some of my favourites and some new to me, thanks. DOMi and JD are going to take over the world.

Robert Glasper: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS2Y_CkaXP0&ab_channel=RobertGlasperVEV...

Not all piano, but some more good artists on this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS2Y_CkaXP0&ab_channel=RobertGlasperVEV...

And to hijack with some sax, Nubya Garcia. Pure love!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTIZikaOTDE&ab_channel=NPRMusic

OP Jonny 16 Oct 2020
In reply to felt:

> No idea what new-school jazz is,

It's not necessarily a term that exists beyond this thread, but there's definitely been a blossoming of highly original jazz musicians that combine unusual rhythms and harmonies with exceptional technical ability. They don't necessarily represent a qualitative shift over those that preceded them, but there's enough of a phenomenon there for them to merit grouping. "New-school" seemed as good a term as any, as bland and vague as it is.

> The delicious piano solo is at 3:55 if you don't care for a long vibes passage.

That's definitely some nice, relaxed playing. I'll give it another listen in 36 hours to do it justice.

BWoodward 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

A bit of Bill Laurence (of snarky puppy) is hard to beat. Union Chapel album well worth a listen.

youtube.com/watch?v=TZwv_68l4Cw&

OP Jonny 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Robert Glasper: 

I love Robert's songs. Shaun Martin is another in that vein (this one's nice:  youtube.com/watch?v=XlcKiizWQVI&)

> Not all piano, but some more good artists on this thread:

Do you have the link? I'm curious!

> And to hijack with some sax, Nubya Garcia. Pure love!

Hell yeah! I didn't know her, but acoustic dub plus sax can only be a massive winner. I like the surrounding tunes too.

Another yute, Joey Alexander:  youtube.com/watch?v=_NIFz8wRvMs&

Post edited at 20:45
 Jon Stewart 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

> Do you have the link? I'm curious!

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/culture_bunker/contemporary_jazz_nice-720...

Sorry, copy/paste error.

OP Jonny 16 Oct 2020
In reply to BWoodward:

Awesome stuff. I only half like Snarky Puppy, but that wasn't reason to discount their pianist's solo work, apparently!

BWoodward 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

As long as you like the half with Cory Henry, Bill Laurence and Shaun Martin, then I can't disagree!

Middle of this track is pretty great (actually all of it is..)

youtube.com/watch?v=jLRw-Ahq22k&

You mentioned Jacob Collier further up.... I enjoyed this 'game' he played recently... clever guy..

youtube.com/watch?v=EWHpdmDHrn8&

Jacob Koller (different guy) also talented

youtube.com/watch?v=58QS5POhkug&

Post edited at 21:06
 Jon Stewart 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

> Awesome stuff. I only half like Snarky Puppy

Amazing when they make the right choices, but sometimes it all goes kind of tasteless. I really liked Sylva, which is kinda grandiose but really works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLRw-Ahq22k&ab_channel=SnarkyPuppyVEVO

Jon Stewart 16 Oct 2020
In reply to BWoodward:

> Middle of this track is pretty great (actually all of it is..)

Snap!

BWoodward 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Its the part where the Moog joins with the piano - almost Bach like which gets me

In reply to Jonny:

> Amazing, thanks! I didn't know him.

> Here's one more, albeit of a previous generation: Friedrich Gulda        youtube.com/watch?v=B5qImtIYCvM&.

> The deftness with which he plays his unique pieces is inspiring.

What an extraordinary crossover with the Mozart and chums thread. Because Gulda was also an awesome classical pianist, right across the repertoire. Just two samples, almost grabbed at random:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVaRtib1Ewo&feature=related

and this is very beautiful, particularly the second half:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m017xsXZTNc&feature=related

In reply to Jonny:

No one to add I am afraid, but some crackers there so thanks!

BWoodward 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Good shout with the Gulda aria. Made me think of some of Keith Jarretts stuff, can get a bit indulgent at times but considering it was improvised You can't fail to be impressed by the Vienna concert or part 2 of La Scala. Cant find them on you tube at the moment but on Spotify.

The chord choices in this version of over the rainbow are also great.

youtube.com/watch?v=AyLQGDIrGcI&

dig26 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

Check out Jacky Terrasson, worth a mention. Does a fantastic cover of John Lennon’s ‘Oh my love’ with Cecile McLorin which is beautiful! 

Post edited at 00:04
 freeflyer 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

Fantastic thread, thanks.

Since we seem to have descended from the dizzy heights of new talent (Justin-Lee Schultz - OMG) to our favourites this is mine, also sadly no longer with us, but it was when he was young and before he was famous. The foot-stomping theme in the middle (7:30) invariably has me reaching for the volume overdrive!

youtube.com/watch?v=4QiD3Em8DuM&

Now to work through the rest of the links. Damn, needed an early night ...

OP Jonny 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> What an extraordinary crossover with the Mozart and chums thread. Because Gulda was also an awesome classical pianist, right across the repertoire.

Thanks for the tip! That's in the nature of true understanding, in music and anything else---it tends to be generalisable to adjacent domains. Brad Mehldau is pretty competent in both fields too, although I'm not sure I'd put him up there with Gulda.

> and this is very beautiful, particularly the second half:

Beautiful. I particularly liked his ambivalence about whether to resolve at 4:18. You're right Friedrich, it didn't really matter.

OP Jonny 17 Oct 2020
In reply to BWoodward:

> Made me think of some of Keith Jarretts stuff, can get a bit indulgent at times but considering it was improvised...

It could. I suppose it's in the nature of the relationship of the audience to someone with that kind of talent and an empty programme---they are there to be indulged.

I always liked his concert in Molde:  youtube.com/watch?v=uxiP6K56bHo&.

Post edited at 10:56
OP Jonny 17 Oct 2020
In reply to BWoodward:

> As long as you like the half with Cory Henry, Bill Laurence and Shaun Martin, then I can't disagree!

That's the half. I even like Michael League in conversation... I think it's the slow and epic trumpets combined with the funk bass that doesn't jive with me. Nothing beyond a taste thing.

OP Jonny 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

A few more highlights:

—A Brad Mehldau solo session (and he has some interesting things to say too):  youtube.com/watch?v=IytAftpt6zw&

—Tigran alone on the piano (with some beatboxing and deeply felt faces):  youtube.com/watch?v=pVN36Ou4BUU&

—Gonzalo Rubalcaba (but it's Giant Steps): youtube.com/watch?v=9npt-CkaeI4&

—Omri Mor is a talented pianist (that plays with Avishai Cohen):  youtube.com/watch?v=YY0X-XuuT3Y&

—It's much simpler stuff, but I can't help but like this pair (the groove that starts around 20:18 is a stunner): youtube.com/watch?v=HFjACDhqToI&

Post edited at 11:56
OP Jonny 17 Oct 2020
In reply to freeflyer:

> Since we seem to have descended from the dizzy heights of new talent (Justin-Lee Schultz - OMG)

Something else isn't he? This is something from a while back, at the ripe old age of 11:  youtube.com/watch?v=GVGV06LKPa0&. It's infectious how much fun he has while playing.

> The foot-stomping theme in the middle (7:30) invariably has me reaching for the volume overdrive!

Thanks for that. Another classic I was ignorant of.

Jon Stewart 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

Brad Mehldau pops up on this amusing funk tune by Louis Cole with a great little solo. Bit of a change in gear from the Bach thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qG1eokZz6g&ab_channel=JanjaMijalkovic

keith hal 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

Not new school but Monty Alexander and Triple Treat ( Ray Brown/Herb Ellis ) or his trio with Jeff Hamilton and John Clayton is pretty awesome. Worth checking out if you like old school renditions of standards. His Ellington songbook recording with John Clayton is stunning and Live at Montreux is just off the scale!..particularly Satin Doll!!

In reply to Jonny:

Not sure if this is what you mean but it is brilliant - Hug the Greyhound by Neil Cowley Trio.

youtube.com/watch?v=Szj5_JP1NF0&

Jon Stewart 17 Oct 2020
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Ah! Neil Cowley! Since the start of this thread I've been wracking my brains for that name - I had one of his albums years ago, long since lost, and loved it. Thanks for the link.

Chris Sansum 18 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

Joey Alexander has been pretty damn talented for a little kid (he’s a bit older now though):  youtube.com/watch?v=3pzIlq7jZzw&

youtube.com/watch?v=f4V_uaxBVOw&

Post edited at 18:43
OP Jonny 19 Oct 2020
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I really enoyed that. The section from around 5:40 was hypnotic.

OP Jonny 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Amusing is the right descriptor for that! Mehldau does quite a few collaborations: those with Mark Giuliana are the best known, but ones like that one are good fun too.

Speaking of fun, I thought this little tribute to Dave Brubeck was brilliant:  youtube.com/watch?v=2Qs1J612nZs&. I've been playing this on the piano for the last few days, to the extent that my girlfriend thinks I'm stuck in a loop.

Post edited at 15:28
 EdS 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

no mention of Thelonious Monk or Art Tatum -- or even Oscar Peterson

OP Jonny 19 Oct 2020
In reply to EdS:

The idea was to share some newer and lesser-known names. In a list of the classics, those two would be up at the top, no doubt.

Jon Stewart 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

Ha. I'm glad there's a description of how the Golden Brown clip was made under the video as it was really confusing me!

Louis Cole is extremely silly, but great. I first heard DOMi when she collaborated with him, but unbelievably she found an even better drummer to play with next!

elbeanio 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

Orrin Evans - (now with Bad Plus)  youtube.com/watch?v=k1mp07YNeSg&

Esbjörn Svensson - (RIP, previously with his trio E.S.T)  youtube.com/watch?v=D7KXq6RJ0PA&

Jon Stewart 19 Oct 2020
In reply to all:

This is one of the best music threads ever. Loads of new stuff, and reminders of people I've forgotten about and haven't listened to in years.

The Bad Plus - yeah!

ChrisBrooke 19 Oct 2020
In reply to keith hal:

> Not new school but Monty Alexander and Triple Treat ( Ray Brown/Herb Ellis ) or his trio with Jeff Hamilton and John Clayton is pretty awesome. Worth checking out if you like old school renditions of standards. His Ellington songbook recording with John Clayton is stunning and Live at Montreux is just off the scale!..particularly Satin Doll!!

Good call. I love Monty Alexander.

Connorh 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

Not sure if 'new school'

Omri Mor -  youtube.com/watch?v=Bk5Z5cCTHJI&t=1052 this whole concert is well worth a watch,

and Chris Illingworth youtube.com/watch?v=x7LmhOEnIs4&t=1022

Post edited at 17:36
 aln 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonny:

> The idea was to share some newer and lesser-known names. In a list of the classics, those two would be up at the top, no doubt.

And McCoy Tyner surely? 

Doug 19 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

And Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck....

OP Jonny 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Doug:

And Tommy Flanagan (save for the first recording of Giant Steps—poor bloke), Chick Corea, Herbie, Kenny Barron, Bud Powell... Even Mingus could bang out some good improv ( youtube.com/watch?v=nCK6Feqz7wY&). 

There's no ranking such things, naturally—'the top' just means 'way up there'.

aln 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Doug:

Well yes, but for me, McCoy Tyner had something else. Something psychedelic and otherworldly. 

Andy Clarke 19 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

> Well yes, but for me, McCoy Tyner had something else. Something psychedelic and otherworldly. 

Now we're talking. Transcendent at times.

Jon Stewart 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Doug:

If we're allowed classic rather than contemporary, here's a favourite clip of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktmyulf11sQ&ab_channel=Shimon-D-I

In reply to EdS:

Talking of Satin Doll and Thelonius Monk, I really like his live version at the Berliner Jazztage (1969) on Youtube.

flaneur 19 Oct 2020

Jason Moran trio

- Planet Rock   youtube.com/watch?v=UXO5eulnkLU&t=2846

Michael Wollny: 

- Be Free, A Way (Flaming Lips).  youtube.com/watch?v=ikVd7MSOF10&

- When the Sleeper Wakes.  youtube.com/watch?v=rKEf8Q8lzt4&

- Klangspuren  youtube.com/watch?v=H4lKQ9yWr5o&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...