UKC

July film thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 21 Jul 2022

As part of the Film 4 Sci Fi season I've just watched this charming, low-budget, one hour, comedy Sci film gem. Highly recommended (despite some logical inconsistencies) and available on All 4:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/beyond-the-infinite-two-minutes

John Gresty 21 Jul 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

I know it is not new but I always enjoy this film, available on Youtube.

Marvellous, the Neil Baldwin Story

My wife knew him slightly many years ago at Keele University, and we recently saw the musical in Newcastle under Lyme, where Neil was there in person.

If you want cheering up, this is the film.

John

Godwin 22 Jul 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Not a Film as such, but last night watched Murder in Provence, on ITV Hub, rather relaxing. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14728056/

PMed you.

Hooo 24 Jul 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks for recommending that. It sounded intriguing so I took the punt and persuaded my wife to watch it with me ( a challenge with anything unusual). We both loved it.

OP Offwidth 24 Jul 2022
In reply to Hooo:

Good to hear. The key reason I want to keep these threads going is I've seen so many good and interesting films I might otherwise have missed as a result. It's very rare for me,  after reading a glowing recommendation from others here, for the film to turn out to not be worth seeing.

alan moore 25 Jul 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Deadpool 2. High budget and not charming. Watched with two teenage sons so we were able to explain different references to each other. A joke every ten seconds. Very entertaining.

John_Hat 26 Jul 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Recent discovery, and only just released (1 July): The Princess (2022). It's streaming on Disney+

Its awesome in a totally-over-the-top-B-movie-enjoying-itself kind of way.

The plot (such as exists). You're a princess locked at the very top of a very, very tall tower (traditional). Evil bad guy wants to marry you and take over the kingdom (traditional). He has taken your family hostage. His entire army is between you and rescuing your family. Prince Charming is not available. Sometimes a Princess just has to rescue herself. And turns out to be a very very annoyed one woman army.

Kindof a cross between Shrek, Brave, Kill Bill and Die Hard.

Post edited at 13:12
 compost 26 Jul 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Enjoyed Hustle on Netflix recently - Adam Sandler on top form in a straight role.

In reply to Offwidth:

I watched Rise of the Foot Soldier - Origins (Netflix)

Unbelievably bad acting, the worst wig ever, every other word c**t, like watching a 1.5hr episode of Eastenders that's been injected with steroids, EPO and cocaine. Yes it is that bad ..... but, somehow strangely compelling (helps it's a true story). I found myself staggered that I actually enjoyed it having been constantly shocked at how rubbish it was. It really does have no redeeming features. Good for all the wrong reasons.

It turns out this is a very successful franchise and I am now curious to watch the other movies.

nufkin 26 Jul 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

‘The Gray Man’ on Netflix. Perfectly serviceable action film, I thought. Not quite up there with Bourne, maybe, but fine if you’re in that sort of mood. Essentially Ryan Gosling as a more competent version of his Nice Guys character evading/hunting down the baddies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...