UKC

Last of the Mohicans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ripper 02 Nov 2012
just finishing on C5 - I never seem to tire of watching this film. Fantastic scenery, good acting pretty much all round, Day Lewis is a genuinely credible action hero, Madeline Stowe a stunningly gorgeous spunky heroine, Wes Studi excellent as the implacable Magua and of course the visceral combat scenes. ok some of the dialogue is a bit clunky but overall i think it's just great.
 Dr.S at work 02 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper:
concur!
 Padraig 02 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper:
> Wes Studi excellent as the implacable Magua.

+1

Blue Straggler 02 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper:
It is a virtually perfect film. The whole scenario culminating in Stephen Waddington (Duncan) exiting stage left is brilliantly done. The score is gorgeous, no mean feat considering the circumstances around it. The fortress scenes, the French actions and how they try to deal with Munro - stunning. Magua's first ambush is also stunning as viewed from both sides (easy and lazy to mock the British formation response, but if you watch properly, it is actually well designed for certain scenarios, just ineffective against Magua)
The climax which is near-wordless for almost ten minutes, is amazing, and having Day-Lewis and Stowe just embrace rather than have an incongruous big romantic snog, was refreshing.
Removed User 02 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper:

Excellent film. I think the actor who played Day Lewis's adopted father (the last Mohican) has just died.
Removed User 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed Userripper)
>
> Excellent film. I think the actor who played Day Lewis's adopted father (the last Mohican) has just died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Means
 Trangia 02 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper:

Concur with all of the above, and the music is perfect for it.
 Bobling 02 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper:

Yup, awesome film should watch again soon! The final few minutes sound track is one of my favourite running tracks (to be cued up for the last few minutes of a run), depending on what mood I'm in I'm either saving the heroine of sometimes just disembowelling pedestrians. Should I admit to this on a public forum?
OP ripper 02 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper: Of course, I forgot to mention the music but yes it's excellent and adds another layer to the experience - I especially like the way the main theme is worked into the tune being played by a few on-screen musicians in the fortress scene
 Phil1919 02 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper: I read the book recent;y and found it really engaging.
 nufkin 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Phil1919:
> (In reply to ripper) I read the book recent;y and found it really engaging.

I also thought the book was good (though Rich Hall disagrees: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01nqbqk/Rich_Halls_Inventing_the_Indi... - quite a good programme, I thought), but in some ways I thought the film was better. Cora and Uncas' fate, for example.

And I also think the music is great, along with the scenery.
Bartooon 02 Nov 2012
Long been a favourite of mine too. The music by Capercaillie is beautiful.
 frankbabs 02 Nov 2012
In reply to nufkin:

I found Fenmor-Cooper's original book inspiring and helped me through O Level French all those years ago!!!
Removed User 02 Nov 2012
Excellent film, perhaps one of the few instances where I'd prefer to watch the film again over re-reading the book (usually I'm very much a book person). The climax scene was brilliant, the music works so well with it.
 iskra2000 02 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper: waterfall filmed at Chimney Rock in North Carolina.
 Euge 05 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper: Love it and the music...
When Day-Lewis gives Stowe that look and the ending send shivers down my spine.

E
 Euge 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to ripper)
> It is a virtually perfect film. The whole scenario culminating in Stephen Waddington (Duncan) exiting stage left is brilliantly done. The score is gorgeous, no mean feat considering the circumstances around it. The fortress scenes, the French actions and how they try to deal with Munro - stunning. Magua's first ambush is also stunning as viewed from both sides (easy and lazy to mock the British formation response, but if you watch properly, it is actually well designed for certain scenarios, just ineffective against Magua)
> The climax which is near-wordless for almost ten minutes, is amazing, and having Day-Lewis and Stowe just embrace rather than have an incongruous big romantic snog, was refreshing.

Yep... couldn't agree more.
It was hell for them on set. Michael Mann was such a perfectionist.

E

OP ripper 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Euge: pretty much every time Ms Stowe appears on screen sends shivers down mine...
 Euge 06 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to Euge) pretty much every time Ms Stowe appears on screen sends shivers down mine...

Yup...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...