UKC

local hero

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buzby 20 May 2023

Hard to believe my favourite film of all time turns 40 years old and is back in Cinemas. If you've never seen it or just haven't for some time give yourself a treat and watch a masterpiece by Bill Forsyth.  

DaveHK 20 May 2023
In reply to buzby:

"Would you pay me a pound for every grain of sand in my hand?"

A flawless pearl of a film.

bouldery bits 20 May 2023
In reply to buzby:

Wonderful soundtrack too. 

OP buzby 20 May 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

what about a hat full of sand.

wercat 22 May 2023
In reply to buzby:

40 years ago I was in my first months at Kishorn and the feeling of unreality of the life there felt strangely entangled with the alternative old reality Local Hero showed.  When I was living in Applecross a year later, long before the coming of street lights etc it seemed even more true.

Sometimes I think it was just a dream ...

Robert Durran 22 May 2023
In reply to buzby:

Definitely the best film ever made. Perfection from start to finish. The northern lights at the phone box scene and the ending bring a tear to my eye just thinking about them. 

TMM 22 May 2023
In reply to buzby:

It is an absolute gem, my all time favourite.

Walked down the aisle to 'Wild Theme' from the soundtrack.

I love that Bill had to push back against the studio to ensure it had the ambiguous ending he wanted and not the 'Hollywood' ending.

Just to prove the broken clock theory even professional arse and contrarian Jeremy Clarkson is a fan. 'As I said to Simon Mayo, I could not be friends with someone who does not like the film Local Hero. Not liking this completely faultless movie shows that you are a bore with no heart, and if you are a bore with no heart, we could not possibly be friends.' I seem to recall him also saying that after seeing it on release he exited the cinema and paid again to view the next screening.

Has anyone watched the musical? I've read mixed reviews but if I got closer to my location I'd been keen to take it in.

Move Connections documentary on the film here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbu662CF3Ho&t=1838s

Post edited at 13:58
 CantClimbTom 22 May 2023
In reply to TMM:

I'd thought Jeremy Clarkson had no redeeming features, but reading your post, now I feel confused

TMM 22 May 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> I'd thought Jeremy Clarkson had no redeeming features, but reading your post, now I feel confused

Exactly! He's a contrarian. People always assume that he's a Brexit loving xenophobe but in some ways it is worse than that as he is prepared to masquerade in that suit for the platform it gives him.

There's some good in all of us!

Robert Durran 22 May 2023
In reply to TMM:

Fantastic! Now I'm even more of a Clarkson fan (and yes, I know he has his faults and can take some blame for his humour being misunderstood by some).

freeflyer 22 May 2023
In reply to buzby:

News does tend to travel fast around here...

Ah - but, who exactly *is* the Local Hero??

My vote goes to Marina.

Welsh Kate 22 May 2023
In reply to freeflyer:

Either the phone box or the injured rabbit.

DaveHK 22 May 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Either the phone box or the injured rabbit.

The injured rabbit/night in the car scene was filmed at Loch Tarff on the road between Fort Augustus and Inverness.

Hat Dude 22 May 2023
In reply to buzby:

Local Hero has such a special place for my wife & I, going to see it at the cinema was our 1st night out after our daughters were born. 10 years later we had an magical evening with our girls in late May, on "Ben's Beach" before we were getting the Ferry to Rum next morning. We camped just behind the beach on a very basic campsite which I think has now gone; the weather was fantastic & we stayed on the beach until around 11pm just marvelling at the views.

Earlier in the evening we'd gone to Mallaig & had a great haddock & chips meal in a pub, We then sat outside the big hotel for a drink and overheard a brilliant conversation worthy of a Bill Forsyth movie, from some people staying there on a coach trip "Tomorrow we're doing Skye then in the afternoon Loch Ness.".

In reply to buzby:

Thanks for point this out, and thanks to others for taliking about what a special film it was for them.

For me in my early 20's living in Oxford the beauty of the film was the catalys for me to leave my hometown and take a job instructing on a remote Scotish island, for a magical summer. this changed the course of my life and lead to 35 years mainly based in the mountains or on the coast. A decision I have never regreted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...