UKC

Looking for a quote that I can't remember

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris687 23 Dec 2017
I'm trying to find a quote which I can't quite remember. It goes something like this:

Those who live in the valley and look up at the mountains will never know what is at the top, their view of the world will never develop. But for those who climb them and look back down at the valley, they see with new perspective the world from which they have come from.

Or something like that. If anyone can point me towards the actual quote that I'm thinking of then it would be very much appreciated.
 David Sz 23 Dec 2017
In reply to chris687:

You might be thinking of this?

One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak.
Gilbert K. Chesterton
OP chris687 23 Dec 2017
In reply to David Sz:

Thanks but it was far more elaborate than that. All about how you are only able to see the world properly if you've bothered going up above it to learn a new perspective.
 DesperateDan 23 Dec 2017
In reply to chris687:

You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. Rene Daumal
In reply to DesperateDan:

Not sure if that was what the op was after, but I like it.
 birdie num num 24 Dec 2017
In reply to chris687:
I think that your feeble brain must be hunting for this quote from my celebrated uncle Edward Num Num.....
“Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without the view over the valley; and the cafe at the top, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think about the cappuccino”
Post edited at 02:32
OP chris687 24 Dec 2017
In reply to DesperateDan:

Yes i think that's it! Thank you very much

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...