/ May film thread

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Offwidth - on 04 May 2019

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/operation_avalanche

Low budget sci-fi thriller which punches well above its weight and is very apt for the current conspiracy theory tendancies of the forums ;-)

A poor man's Capricorn One.

john arran - on 04 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

May film thread: I, robot.

Offwidth - on 05 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_fantastic

A family trying to live an isolated platonic ideal in the wilds are forced by tragedy to return to capitalist 'civilisation' and face this real world. I really enjoyed the non judgemental take on this, with some quality humour, despite being a bit over sentimental.

Blue Straggler - on 08 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

I felt that the final act (i.e. the last 25 minutes) totally undid where it looked like it had been going, and not in a good way. It was a shame because it was very good for the first two thirds or even three quarters. I'd argue that not all the family were trying to live a certain way - some were never given much choice in the matter. 

And with last year's Leave No Trace as an obvious comparison point, it seems as cartoony as its title. I think I gave it a begrudging 7/10 at the time. Leave No Trace a solid 9 and one of the best of 2018.

In reply to Offwidth:

Avengers: Endgame. 
8/10

Still wary of saying too much about this one, as it is still out and about with plenty of people wanting to see it without any hint of a spoiler. 
I thought it was very very good. It does lose points for some puzzlingly weak aspects but at the same time it ties up a lot of things very well and gives some of the sidelined characters a bit more depth. 

I say no more. 

Stichtplate on 08 May 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

No spoilers, but since a family outing to see Endgame last week, my wife keeps turning to me and saying; “I see the future hasn’t been kind to you”!

aln - on 08 May 2019

I thought Infinity War was better. I didn't love End Game as much as I wanted to.

aln - on 08 May 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

Is it your chin?

In reply to aln:

Which one?

In reply to Offwidth:

The Curse of La Llorona
5/10 (bit harsh maybe). Film is "ok", just its existence is unnecessary. It’s all jump scares and to be fair they are well done, and Linda Cardellini is really good throughout, in a very non-glam role (she looks haggard and stressed out for the whole film, presumably taking notes from Toni Collette's performance in Hereditary). It is part of the The Conjuring / Annabelle franchise but only a token reference to it (indeed it has as much connection to that franchise, as Tokyo Drift originally had to The Fast and the Furious).

Somehow despite its fairly well rendered 1970s setting, it had a vibe of the Ethan Hawke film “Sinister” which was unfortunate as it just made me think “I’d rather be watching Sinister”. Not similar in story but just in feel and atmosphere. 

Worth a look if you are a real fan of Linda Cardellini, otherwise ignore it. 

aln - on 08 May 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

Thanos' chin

In reply to aln:

I meant which of my chins

The line is spoken to the character doing a creditable Impersonation of The Dude.

aln - on 08 May 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

The Dude from The Big Lebowski? And Starlord telling Thanos his chin looked liked a ballsack? There's some connections going on there!

In reply to aln:

Were you not getting the Lebowski vibe? I was waiting for him to chug a White Russian.

Blue Straggler - on 09 May 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Were you not getting the Lebowski vibe? I was waiting for him to chug a White Russian.

They literally reference, in dialogue, Lebowski and I think a White Russian. They do the cardigan and sunglasses swagger. There is no attempt at subtlety. How the character in question is so readily expected to understand the references, is questionable and (not in itself but in tandem with some other pop culture in-jokes) a reason that my score was not higher 

aln - on 09 May 2019

I also thought it suffered from trying to be a bit too weighty and meaningful and could have done with a bit more humour. 

L FunesTheMemorious - on 09 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

I recently saw Eighth Grade (Bo Burnham) in the cinema thought it was an excellent piece of work and well worth watching. BlueStragglers post in the April film thread does it justice so I won't retread old ground.

It's worth repeating that Anna Meredith's soundtrack is stunning.

Blue Straggler - on 09 May 2019
In reply to FunesTheMemorious:

Nice one. I like that the one bit you warranted worth repeating, was Anna Meredith It actually gave me a new appreciation of some of her older work that I'd perhaps overlooked a bit, notably Rhododendron. (the soundtrack is about 60% new stuff and 40% old stuff)

Blue Straggler - on 17 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Styx. A very strong 9/10

I don't know if "All is Lost" and that Crowhurst documentary brought sailing movies back into vogue after the 1990s failures of "Wind" and " White Squall" and the general success but lack of critical acclaim and deserved awards nominations for Master and Commander: Far Side of the World, but after last year's Adrift and The Mercy, we're now treated to Styx which was a brilliant film, I missed the first five minutes but from what I read, this might be a weird blessing.

In a nutshell, Styx follows a solo sailor on a voyage down the west coast of Africa. It's not an adventure film, she is extremely competent and well prepared with a solid modern yacht, and weathers a strong storm fairly well. 
But then the story starts (after 40 minutes with almost no dialogue). She encounters a stricken trawler with 100+ African refugees all about to die, her yacht is just a 12m thing, the coastguard advises her to not intervene and to get away as her presence will cause false-hope chaos, and on top of all this her day job is as an emergency doctor so although the Hippocratic oath is not mentioned, it is clear that there is a conflict between her inherent duty of care, and the coastguard instructions. 

What then unfolds is perhaps not the most thrilling and mind-bending moral-decision story, but it's certainly well played out. 

The cinematography on this film is shockingly good, I didn't expect a good-looking film. For about an hour of it, you could take any single frame and hang it on your wall. 
Susanne Wolff in the lead is absolutely brilliant, I've no idea of her range as an actress, she's pretty serious in this but also very committed to a fairly physical role, I am astonished to learnt that she is 8-10 years older than I guessed she was. 
Wolfgang Fischer's direction and co-writing is spot-on, he keeps the film to 94 minutes by not bogging it down with discussion about the refugees' situation and this in itself is great strength of the film - it gets to judge and make comment, without blatantly judging or preaching. It's thought-provoking and one can choose whatever level of allegory (including zero) to take away.

Wanderer100 - on 17 May 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

Based on your review earlier this year I watched Ralph wrecks the internet with my daughter. It was rubbish!!!

Wanderer100 - on 17 May 2019
In reply to Wanderer100:

> Based on your review earlier this year I watched Ralph wrecks the internet with my daughter. It was rubbish!!!

Oops. Sorry, that was meant for Blue Straggler.

Blue Straggler - on 17 May 2019
In reply to Wanderer100:

Horses for courses. I stand by my opinion of that film (think it was last year)

Offwidth - on 23:40 Sun

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_beyond

Just ace... I remember when Star Trek movies used to alternate between good and bad... just loving the reboot series.

Blue Straggler - on 00:14 Mon
In reply to Offwidth:

I thought this one was really weak. Just my opinion, but I am dead right. 

Offwidth - on 14:26 Wed

Always ;-) 

Saw Avengers endgame yesterday.. excellent but not quite as good as I expected from the reviews... it felt more like a director's cut.. strteched out a bit for true fans. Also watched another seemingly marmite arty thriller where I was on the very positive side of the reviews.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/you_were_never_really_here

steveriley - on 14:44 Wed
In reply to Offwidth:

Netflix doco: a watery tale, 'Kim Swims' - https://www.netflix.com/title/81092329. First woman to swim between the Farallon Islands and SF Golden Gates bridge, 28 miles away. Great Whites, cold water and tides permitting. Suitably triumph over adversity low key doco. Started doing a bit of swimming ...feeling distinctly bumbly now.

Also loitering in the nether regions of Netflix: 'Barkley Marathons' - https://www.netflix.com/title/80076413 for fans of daft endurance challenges. This year's has just been ...nobody finished.

Bjartur i Sumarhus on 16:18 Wed
In reply to Offwidth

Watched Rush last night after the sad news of Niki Lauda's death. Enjoyed it, thought Daniel Bruhl was very good and my wife thought Chris Hemworth incredible. Well made, seemed slightly budget to me although that didn't detract from the story.

Blue Straggler - on 16:33 Wed
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> In reply to Offwidth

> Well made, seemed slightly budget to me although that didn't detract from the story.

It had a budget of $38 million which is quite "small" these days for a major-release film but honestly when I saw it, at no point did I think it seemed "budget" aside from, arguably, the cast - who were all fine in their role but not really box-office draws. 

Blue Straggler - on 16:34 Wed
In reply to Offwidth:

If I gave "You Were Never Really Here" a score of 7/10 does that mess up the idea that it is Marmite?  

Bjartur i Sumarhus on 09:49 Thu

Might have been a hang up from my motorbike racing days, but I could tell it was Cadwell Park and Snetterton for most of the racing shots. Also it came across quite "twee" for me , as I usually find in UK movies (usually staring Hugh Grant)

Blue Straggler - on 09:56 Thu

It's a fairly twee story, and Ron Howard is usually a LOT more twee than this. I dragged my heels re: cinema viewing just because of the Ron Howard aspect, and regretted this. I can see how recognising the tracks would spoil it. 
I really liked it, a neat efficient interesting story told well without too many flourishes etc. 

Bjartur i Sumarhus on 10:14 Thu

Have to say I am looking forward to this new Tarantino movie, trailer looks great and the reviews are excellent that I have read...

Edit - Do they usually review movies this far advanced to release? I was shocked when I read it wasn't out until mid august

Post edited at 10:15
Offwidth - on 19:23 Thu

Watched Trumbo last night... well acted biopic if a bit slow paced ( the irony !;-). Strongly recommended for those who are too young to remember the House Unamerican Activities Commitee and the communist witch hunt in Hollywood. 

Offwidth - on 14:25 Fri

Something  happened to the Trumbo link that I thought I added.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/trumbo

Blue Straggler - on 16:38 Fri
In reply to Offwidth:

> Something  happened to the Trumbo link that I thought I added.

It's a conspiracy!

Offwidth - on 18:00 Fri

Indeed, Breitbart is already on the case with denials and claims of liberal hysteria ! :--0

Post edited at 18:01

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.