UKC

Mother!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

This film came on subscription Virgin movies this weekend an so I thought that I would watch it as the description sounded interesting.  If you havent seen it and enjoy weirdness then you should.  

Ive thought about it all day as some of the stuff is disturbing.  I havent felt the same level of claustrophobia since the latter part of The Blair Witch where you want to turn off but cant.  

Ive read a few respectable reviewers on the movie and its clear that it splits opinions right down the middle.  I wont post any spoilers but would recommend this film, even as a one off view (I may watch it again just to try and get some of the allegories that I didnt get the first time around, but not for viewing pleasure).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother!

Post edited at 16:58
 Tom Valentine 04 Jun 2018
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Managed  half an hour then took a break.

Still on that break.

In reply to Tom Valentine:

It certainly isnt for everyone, thats for sure.  The second half is certainly not as slow the first but that is all understandable as chaos ensues. 

Blue Straggler 07 Jun 2018

an amazingly audacious film and regardless of whether one loved or hated it, it’s a healthy sign that money can be invested in this sort of pure, uncommercial art, and that major name movie stars are unafraid to attach themselves to it.

the total Oscar snub was pretty outrageous.

it IS a demanding and frankly oppressive film...it’s more akin to an “experience” than a film (a bit like how “Gravity” should have been seen as an IMAX theme park “ride”, “mother!” could be seen as an interesting test of patience and endurance.

fwiw I loved it, but I would never try to defend it against anyone who hated it - I love an opinion-splitter like this. I gave it 9/10

aln 07 Jun 2018

> the latter part of The Blair Witch where you want to turn off but cant

I wanted to leave the cinema after 20 minutes, and right to the end, but couldn't coz I kept hoping it would get better and didn't want to leave my friends. At the end it turned out they'd felt exactly the same. What a dreadful film. 

In reply to aln:

> I wanted to leave the cinema after 20 minutes, and right to the end, but couldn't coz I kept hoping it would get better and didn't want to leave my friends. At the end it turned out they'd felt exactly the same. What a dreadful film. 

I think you misunderstood my reasons for not turning off

Blue Straggler 08 Jun 2018

Was there more thAn one allegory? !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...