UKC

Netflix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 22 Oct 2020

Well is it worth signing up for? My other half is quite keen to watch The Crown after watching a cd whilst in a holiday cottage recently

She only watched series 1 but I can only find series 2 coupled with the first at double the price. So is it worth signing up? If it is anything like Sky that keeps offering less for more money I won't be impressed! I know it doesn't have the footy or cricket which is a cross I shall have to bear.

Iamgregp 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I've got it.  It's alright.  When I signed up I thought it would have everything on there but it really doesn't and there's quite a bit of stuff in there that is absolute rubbish, so be prepared to spend a lot of time scrolling!

There are some absolute gems on there though, just this week I've watched a 4 part Challenger disaster docco, rewatched "Beyond The Mat", The Big Short and probably some other stuff too.

They occasionally have some good climbing related stuff on there too - Meru, Valley Uprising and Dawn Wall were all on there.

All in all it's ok, and doesn't cost much, but don't expect to be blown away. 

Kalna_kaza 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I signed up to the basic option during lockdown and find out excellent value for money. I've been surprised by the range of different programmes I've watched, drama, action and comedy series. Some of the documentaries and films made by Netflix are excellent. The lack of adverts is bliss compared to TV.

Sometimes the range of choices is a bit too much with myself and Mrs Kalna arguing over what to watch. 

felt 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

It's great but once you done The Crown, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Narcos, Better Call Saul, The Last Dance, i.e. in six months' time, you're stuffed. Some good kids series. I wish it had Curb and the Sopranos. 

OP Sean Kelly 22 Oct 2020
In reply to felt:

> It's great but once you done The Crown, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Narcos, Better Call Saul, The Last Dance, i.e. in six months' time, you're stuffed. Some good kids series. I wish it had Curb and the Sopranos. 

Thanks for all the replies.
But as I understand it you can opt out anytime?

Post edited at 19:24
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> But as I understand it you can opt out anytime?

... worth it for Sex Education alone... just brilliant and yes, you can opt out at any time...

TobyA 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Yep. I think it's 6 quid a month for the basic package and you just stop your direct debit anytime if you don't want it anymore.

Removed User 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

A decent way to scan for international films, a lot of stuff you'd never otherwise know about. 

A palpable anti-trump vibe runs through it. Reed Hastings the CEO seems a reasonable guy with decent ideas. Maybe much of it is shallow leftism, but he publishes their ideas on their corporation culture and it's not bad stuff if that's what really is happening.

https://jobs.netflix.com/culture

I'd sooner give Netflix my dollar than Amazon.

Mark Collins 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

My wife subscribes to it, so I've seen plenty on there. I'd say it was best at TV series and one off documentaries, although some of those feel more like entertainment than fact. It's films are OK also. I have to confess to not knowing how much it costs, and am trying to not watch it for environmental reasons, and tape more stuff off normal tele like the good old days. Have recently been surprised by the great films shown on Film4, which saves the endless scrolling through movies on Netflix and the like. 

Tom Valentine 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I joined with the intention of watching one series ( Godless) then opting out but got involved in other stuff and stayed on. Glad I did because Ive come across all sorts of enjoyable material ranging from prize winning foreign films to good quality drama series like Ozark . If I had to choose between Now TV and Netflix it would be a hard choice., both offer similar quality and value.

OP Sean Kelly 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Personally, I must admit that I watch very little TV these days as it is just full of trash. Occasionally something on BBC4 might attract and the odd Scandi drama. I thought The Bridge was excellent. 

So I'm unlikely to binge on Netflix myself. TV is mostly a waste of good time that can be better used for other purposes. At least it will keep my wife happy.

Sam W 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

We're not big TV watchers, but do use Netflix enough to make the subscription worthwhile.

The family package is good value, £11.99 means 4 people can watch simultaneously.  I share this with mum and dad, plus my sisters.  Although I don't make them pay, in theory we could all have access for £3/month each.

Luke90 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Mark Collins:

> am trying to not watch it for environmental reasons

I think it's worth pointing out that the headline-grabbing study that accused streaming services of having a huge environmental impact was based on some really ludicrous assumptions. You might have separate good reasons for your environmental worries but if they were based on those headlines about watching an hour of Netflix being as damaging as driving miles then you can decrease your level of concern at least a bit.

Edit: Source... https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-what-is-the-carbon-footprint-of-strea...

Post edited at 14:25
 yorkshireman 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I costs less than a single cinema ticket for a month so it's worth trying it to see. There's definitely some decent stuff on there and remember there are no adverts, it remembers where you stopped watching and you can instantly skip intros. I think there's even a 30 day free trial.

Just recently watched Criminal: UK (liked it) and My Octopus Teacher (excellent). There's a lot of old TV stuff that you might have missed first time around. Don't waste your time with Tiger King - despite the hype it was shit.

Iamgregp 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I mean it’s worth it just to watch Making a Murderer... if you’ve not seen it yet?

Mark Collins 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Luke90:

> > am trying to not watch it for environmental reasons

> I think it's worth pointing out that the headline-grabbing study that accused streaming services of having a huge environmental impact was based on some really ludicrous assumptions. You might have separate good reasons for your environmental worries but if they were based on those headlines about watching an hour of Netflix being as damaging as driving miles then you can decrease your level of concern at least a bit.

Thanks I believe my concerns are based on the study you mention 🙂 

Clarence 24 Oct 2020
In reply to yorkshireman:

I loved every episode of Tiger King, Don't F**k With Cats was good as well. The recent "random" feature has thrown me into some good stuff, I thought I hated Star Trek but I quite like Discovery. I have recently discovered anime as well so have bing-watched Dorohedoro, Parasyte and am currently on The Seven Deady Sins. Well worth it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...