UKC

Netflix by mistake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 28 Feb 2018

Dammit! Got a month's free Netflix, as I do every couple of years, to watch Black Mirror (most of which was garbage), not cancelled it and now I've got a month to try to get some value out of it.

What can I watch that is actually brilliant, not just good or and definitely not OK? I don't watch things with millions of episodes - gave up after 2 series of The Wire and Breaking Bad because I just don't care enough about any bit of fiction to devote that much of my life to it.

I absolutely loved True Detective 1. Gave up on Fargo (too long, just felt like writers churning out to a formula, why watch a diluted version of a great film?). Stuff like Black Mirror where each episode stands alone would be even better - but do they exist? I'd love to see some good comedy too - I like The Thick Of It, Stewart Lee, love Frankie Boyle's topical stuff, Doug Stanhope when I can stomach it, Tim Minchin, you get the idea.

Or maybe I should use it for films - but in the past I found pretty much bugger all that I want to see on there, and I can just download stuff anyway so stuff just on Netflix is better.

Any ideas much appreciated (most of the usual stuff is 2000 or more episodes long so no need to suggest those) - although it'll most likely end up being a waste of money, but it's only £8 so I guess 2 films would cover it!

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Making a murderer is Netflix at it's best. Definitely fits your MO

OP Jon Stewart 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Ta! Will check it out.

George Fisher 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The race that eats it’s young. 

Phil79 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Valley Uprising if you haven't seen it.

Alphago - documentary about the Go program that beat the worlds best player, fantastic viewing. 

The Big Short - good film about the 2008 financial crisis.

Post edited at 12:04
 shuffle 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The End of the F**cking World is well worth a watch. 

JamButty 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Lots of the sporty documentaries dependent on your interests:

Valley Uprising, Meru, Everest,  Barkley Marathons,  Icarus, Stop at nothing

Or just hunt a few classic films,  or comedies out....

OP Jon Stewart 28 Feb 2018
In reply to all:

Great suggestions! At this rate I'll end up keeping paying them and sitting in front of the telly (instead of the internet) all the time.

Tyler 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

You don't get value from Netflix by watching films, the entertainment comes from: 

"What about this one?"

"Nah"

"This one?" 

"Seen it"

And so on until bed time. That said Homeland is the best thing I've ever watched, TV or film

LeeWood 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Lighthouse of the Orca"s has some great scenic (and natural history) content from Patagonia.

Any other suggestions for similar content will be welcome ??

broken spectre 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I like The Thick Of It, Stewart Lee, love Frankie Boyle's topical stuff, Doug Stanhope when I can stomach it, Tim Minchin, you get the idea.

Have you tried Rick & Morty? I can't recommend it highly enough! Check out a few scenes on youtube to get a taste of what it's all about (if you're already familiar with it - my apologies, just thought I'd give it a mention).

Steve Webster 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Casa de Papel which was recently given the English name "Money Heist" - High intensity TV viewing

planetmarshall 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Bojack Horseman. It's the best thing that's ever been on TV.

sarachen 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

My love for Netflix started fading when YouTube TV came out

ClimberEd 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Sinner

Godless

Mindhunter

All 'netflix' only, just come out, one season each. All bloody brilliant (including Godless which 'on paper' i.e. a western shouldn't be my cup of tea at all.)

felt 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Man Men. You might be smart enough to grasp it.

grommet 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Manhunt Unabomber - about 8 to 10 episodes in total, true story.  Narcos, can finish at first series, but second is excellent.

Second for Icarus and Meru.

If you fancy a longer haul Power, House of Cards, Sons of Anarchy.  

Tobes 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The Detectorists...nuff said

’what you got mate?’ 

‘ring pull, 1987, something fruity’ 

felt 28 Feb 2018
In reply to grommet:

> Narcos, can finish at first series, but second is excellent.

Third too. That Pacho, eh? Best theme tune since The Sopranos, incidentally.

Have we had The Crown? That Tommy Lascelles, eh?

We're currently on Ozark, S1Ep8. Started quite strongly, but it headed the wrong side of preposterous, unlike, say, Breaking Bad.

Philip 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

There is a Sherlock Holmes series set innthe US called Elementary but you need to be in mainland Europe (or have a VPN) to get it. It's quite good. Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu.

ThunderCat 28 Feb 2018
In reply to broken spectre:

> Have you tried Rick & Morty? I can't recommend it highly enough! Check out a few scenes on youtube to get a taste of what it's all about (if you're already familiar with it - my apologies, just thought I'd give it a mention).

Was it you who mentioned that to me months ago?  It's awesome.

PICKLE RICK!

MonkeyPuzzle 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Big Mouth is a filthy cartoon comedy about kids going through puberty. Puerile but very funny.

Icarus is the documentary of the whistleblower who dobbed the Russian state Olympic doping programme. Really compelling watching.

Spotlight is the true story of the uncovering of the Catholic priest paedophile scandal in the US by a local Boston newspaper.

Lots of good stuff. Lots of shite too though obviously.

BnB 28 Feb 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

> Sinner

> Godless

> Mindhunter

> All 'netflix' only, just come out, one season each. All bloody brilliant (including Godless which 'on paper' i.e. a western shouldn't be my cup of tea at all.)

I'd endorse all three of those. Definitely at the quality end of the Netflix output. Sinner was a real surprise.

grommet 01 Mar 2018
In reply to felt:

oh yes - was getting mixed up with the seasons.  I didn't know where they would go with the 3rd season of Narcos, but was excellent.  Was going to recommend The Sinner (a whydunnit rather than a whodunnit) 'cos I loved it, but Mr Grommet didn't.

Post edited at 12:16
 e.ms355 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Under an Artic Sky as a surfing documentary is awesome.

Narcos is also great.

1poundSOCKS 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Making a murderer is Netflix at it's best

I thought it was excellent. I watched it all without knowing how it would end.

wintertree 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Dirk Gently and Detectorists.  The former because it’s best binge watched if you want to follow all the plots and only has two series, the later because it’s easy going and just nice. 

ThunderCat 01 Mar 2018
In reply to wintertree:

> Dirk Gently and Detectorists.  The former because it’s best binge watched if you want to follow all the plots and only has two series, the later because it’s easy going and just nice. 

I was quite impressed with the detectorists as well. Would recommend it

The New NickB 01 Mar 2018
In reply to shuffle:

> The End of the F**cking World is well worth a watch. 

Also available for free on C4.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Lot of good stuff above.

Three films that are good entertainment: "The Neon Demon", "Inherent Vice" and "The Martian".  The last is a little commercial (Scott) but the first two are a little more challenging. ND polarised reviewers but for me it was one of the year's best.

Blue Straggler 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I don't know if it is on Netflix, but IF it is, then I'll happily and highly recommend Twin Peaks : The Return (aka Twin Peaks Season 3). 

Continuing story but a finite self-contained series (assuming some familiarity with the original). 18 episodes. Wilfully Lynch (every episode written by Lynch and Frost, and directed by Lynch). 
Some of it is very bold and demanding (episode 8 is particularly bonkers), some of it is straight pastiche of the kind that they were trying for in the original two seasons. All the acting is great but Kyle MacLachlan really shines. 
It's as if Lynch watched some Darren Aronfsky films and some of Terence Malick's recent output, and said "hold my beer..."

Blue Straggler 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Also: Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23. 

I've only seen 4 episodes on a late night binge (I don't have Netflix yet but when I visit my sister I stay up late and explore it - so a similar position to you in that there is little point in my investigating a long series). 
This one is undemanding comedy but quite sharp and not entirely predictable. Attractive female leads possibly less of a draw for you, I guess

BnB 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Ghastlyrabbitfat:

> Lot of good stuff above.

> Three films that are good entertainment: "The Neon Demon", "Inherent Vice" and "The Martian".  The last is a little commercial (Scott) but the first two are a little more challenging. ND polarised reviewers but for me it was one of the year's best.

Thanks. My wife and I watched ND last night on your recommendation and we both enjoyed it. I've seen a lot of N Winding Refn movies so I had a good idea what to expect. It was her first and probably the most female-friendly being set in a milieu fetishised by "women's" media. It also didn't have Ryan Gosling mouth-breathing his way through every scene.

And who doesn't like a bit of necrophilia? Audiences got themselves into a right state over this element and a certain scene in particular but it all seemed standard art-house experimental to us.

Post edited at 07:45
 Tom Last 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Godless, Manhunt Unabomber, Ozark

Fundamentals of Caring was a good film too.

ThunderCat 03 Mar 2018
In reply to shuffle:

> The End of the F**cking World is well worth a watch. 

Yeah.....I started on this last night and I'm liking it.  

In reply to ThunderCat:

... "Stranger Things"... just brilliant also "Black Sails"..

ThunderCat 03 Mar 2018
In reply to Richard Wheeldon:

"Inside No 9" Anyone?

Steve Pemberton / Reece Shearsmith.  

Loving it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...