UKC

New Order - maybe earliest film of the band? Al?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 19 Jun 2014
Just came across this. The poster claims it's the earliest known video recording of the band.

youtube.com/watch?v=EuBf92Sy3vA&

I'm more interested to know whether Al Evans was one of the cameramen
 aln 20 Jun 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

That was great, thanks for posting. From certain angles Bernard looked spookily like Ian.

See also, this, later that year...

youtube.com/watch?v=3lPS571tppA&

I wuz there!!!
 aln 20 Jun 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Also great. Loved the drumming, is there a drum machine in the mix or is it just Stephen Morris being precise and motorik?
Lusk 20 Jun 2014
In reply to aln:

> From certain angles Bernard looked spookily like Ian.

Eh?!

New Order were just a shadow of Joy Division.
In reply to aln:

I saw some film of New Order on YouTube where Stephen's drumstick movements were all jittery. May have been the vagaries of YouTube compression, or the cheap filming back in the day, but essentially he was too fast to be filmed properly
 aln 20 Jun 2014
In reply to Lusk:

> Eh?!

Eh what?

> New Order were just a shadow of Joy Division.

What do you mean?

aln 20 Jun 2014

Ha! I wondered coz of their history of early use of electronics in 'rock' music, Blue Monday obviously, and earlier experiments.
In reply to aln:

yeah. I don't know, sorry. It's one I've pondered too...i.e. why did they ever bother with any drum machines, when they had Stephen Morris
 BnB 20 Jun 2014

Seen them so many times since the 80s and still adore them. Went to the Apollo a couple of years back (with my son) which was ace even without Hooky. They were a lot more grateful for the audience than they were back in the day!!

Ceremony
Precession
Everything's Gone Green
Temptation
Blue Monday

Has any band in history produced a run of early singles as good as this sequence?
 The Pylon King 20 Jun 2014
In reply to aln:

> Also great. Loved the drumming, is there a drum machine in the mix or is it just Stephen Morris being precise and motorik?

No drum machine!!

This song was apparently being worked before Ian Curtis died.

I got backstage around this time and met them all. I even dictaphoned the whole conversation but like a dick have lost the bloody tape
In reply to The Pylon King:

20-odd years ago my sister's then-boyfriend found that he was behind Barney in a queue at motorway services petrol station, and was able to say nothing more than "fookin' 'ell! IN THE FLESH". Barney took a few moments to remember that he was a "celebrity" apparently

A friend of mine bumped into him on the top of the Glyders!!
 wynaptomos 20 Jun 2014
In reply to Lusk:

> Eh?!

> New Order were just a shadow of Joy Division.

First album maybe but then they re-invented themselves. I rate both of the bands as two of the best ever. Superb stuff.
 BnB 20 Jun 2014
In reply to wynaptomos:

It's no coincidence so much of today's indie music bears their hallmark. Great band in either incarnation
 Chris the Tall 20 Jun 2014

If I start looking at New Order videos on Youtube I'll lose the afternoon...

Love this one youtube.com/watch?v=0VcGJZpfl1c&

Brilliant track - superb drumming from Stephen Morris but WTF does Barney look like !!! Mind you I guess it coincided with the very short period where Wham were cool.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...