UKC

Parasite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 26 Feb 2020

I thought it was shite.

MonkeyPuzzle 26 Feb 2020
In reply to Removed User:

I thought it was brilliant.

Shite how?

Removed User 26 Feb 2020
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

I didn't engage with any of the characters. I felt the story required too much of a suspension of disbelief. I didn't find anything in it that was uplifting or inspiring. I didn't find the slapstick humour funny. I was told afterwards that the cinematography was excellent but can't say I'd noticed.

Other than that fine. It wasn't as bad as Couscous. It's not that I felt like sewing my scrotum to the seat to distract me from it or anything.

DaveHK 26 Feb 2020

I thought it was good but not superb.

I commented on another thread that it was basically like a feature length, Korean episode of Inside No.9

MonkeyPuzzle 26 Feb 2020

> I didn't engage with any of the characters. I felt the story required too much of a suspension of disbelief. I didn't find anything in it that was uplifting or inspiring. I didn't find the slapstick humour funny. I was told afterwards that the cinematography was excellent but can't say I'd noticed.

Don't think it was meant to be uplifting or inspiring, more a commentary on inequality and class. The characters are certainly not people you'd want to be mates with, but found myself continually having to reassess my judgement of them and their actions. Feeling the father's intense anger and shame as he hides under the table listening to the householders' discussing the smell on the subway. Anyway, not trying to invalidate your opinion here, but I loved it. Swung from funny to poignant to confronting to suspenseful.

> Other than that fine. It wasn't as bad as Couscous. It's not that I felt like sewing my scrotum to the seat to distract me from it or anything.

Note to self: Watch Couscous.

Removed User 26 Feb 2020
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Note to self: Watch Couscous.

You'll regret it.

Removed User 26 Feb 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> I thought it was good but not superb.

> I commented on another thread that it was basically like a feature length, Korean episode of Inside No.9

Yes, I can't believe it won the best film Oscar. Surely something better must have been done in the past year?

Blue Straggler 27 Feb 2020

> Yes, I can't believe it won the best film Oscar. Surely something better must have been done in the past year?

Come on, give us your nomination 

BnB 27 Feb 2020

I loved it. I’ve seen all the nominated films, and Parasite or Joker, different riffs on a similar theme, were the two standout contenders. I didn’t think enough play was made of the “haves” living off the “have nots”, but it was hugely entertaining. Plus I’m in lust with the sexy mum. “Sell me drugs in your car!”

Removed User 27 Feb 2020
In reply to BnB:

Fair enough but the sexy mum didn't really do it for me. As I say, I didn't engage with any of them which surprised me. I've worked with Koreans on many occasions and was hoping to make a deeper connection to their culture than you can through weekly conference calls and the occasional business dinner, but no, it left me cold.

Removed User 27 Feb 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Not sure really, I've seen few if any memorable films in the last year. Perhaps out of laziness on my part but also I think it's because the past year's output hasn't been great as far as my tastes are concerned.

What would your winner be?

Post edited at 13:37
 BnB 27 Feb 2020

This is my winner of the past year. Stunning. Although might technically be from previous year.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-reviews/birds-of-passage-movie-re...

Post edited at 19:24
Removed User 27 Feb 2020
In reply to BnB:

Cheers, looks interesting. I'll check it out if I get the opportunity.

Blue Straggler 27 Feb 2020

> What would your winner be?

I don’t see a lot of the new art house / ”independent” fare so that’s a tough and good question that I can’t really answer. From the nominees I would have picked Joker, I think. I really thought Eighth Grade was a good film but at the same it didn’t offer anything particularly fresh. I’d have to revisit my 2019 overview thingy (plus January 2020) 

Blue Straggler 28 Feb 2020

> What would your winner be?

Also can I politely add that I am not the one who posted that the 2020 Oscar winner for best picture was “shite”? 

Blanche DuBois 28 Feb 2020

> Not sure really, I've seen few if any memorable films in the last year. Perhaps out of laziness on my part but also I think it's because the past year's output hasn't been great as far as my tastes are concerned.

What have you watched in previous years that you consider great as far as your tastes are concerned?

Removed User 28 Feb 2020
In reply to Blanche DuBois:

> What have you watched in previous years that you consider great as far as your tastes are concerned?

Hmmm, off the top of my head...

Waltz with Bashir

You the living

24 hour party people

Dangerous liaisons

A prophet

Dances with wolves

Blue Straggler 05 Mar 2020

Hey SHEEEEEEPLE just think on this!

The movie “Parasite” was a trailer for real life Covid-19

OPEN YOUR EYES!

Group of downtrodden Asian rebels make it LOOK like a sector of society has a deadly infectious disease so that that sector can be exiled, the world falls for it and the rebels start to TAKE OVER

Do your own resurch!

Do your own resurch!

Parasite wins more Oscars than any other film this year

James Bond is quarantined

COINCIDENCE?!

the film is called Parasite. OPEN YOUR EYES! 

> Hmmm, off the top of my head...

> Waltz with Bashir

> You the living

> 24 hour party people

> Dangerous liaisons

> A prophet

> Dances with wolves

They are all films I really like, but they also span the last 30 years of cinematic history (realising that reminded me how old I am).   Not entirely surprising that a particular film released last year is not as good as the best films of the preceding 3 decades.

In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

He was asked for films from previous years. His response is fair 

aln 06 Mar 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I think we need links to examples of your research. A YouTube vid of some guy in a room should do it.

Bulls Crack 16 Mar 2020

I thought it was very good. Shakespearean tragi-comedy with a Dickensian feel 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...