UKC

Pink!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepsoup 03 Feb 2013
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of folk here aren't really aware of Pink (aka Alecia Moore). I'm not a massive fan of her music myself (don't dislike it either, can take or leave it).

Good god she's impressive though.

Her live shows usually include 'aerial' type performances, she does trapeze, silks and various stunts. She's incredibly athletic, fearless, and more than a little bit awe inspiring.

So, with that in mind UCK, have a look at this video.
There are no outlandish stunts in this, just a passionate (even violent) theatrical dance routine - definitely not your run of the mill pop video choreography.

youtube.com/watch?v=yTCDVfMz15M&
 waterbaby 03 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

I like Pink, for many reasons.
 Yanis Nayu 03 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup: I would!
 bluebealach 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to deepsoup) I would!

Me too but alas way to old!!

waterbaby 03 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

Not seen the video before. OH MY.... impressive. Like
 Yanis Nayu 03 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup: Cool video. I believe she was inspired by the Num Nums...
 rallymania 03 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

excellent video, had heard the song, but not seen that.

here's another pink video... not her normal material...

youtube.com/watch?v=mJrftgq6KKw&
 John Ww 03 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

Fit as!
 The Pylon King 03 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

i reckon she is a tranny
OP deepsoup 03 Feb 2013
In reply to rallymania:
> here's another pink video... not her normal material...

Very different. I like that, quite touching.
 Blue Straggler 03 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

She was the only good thing about Charlies' Angels: Full Throttle
OP deepsoup 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
She was in that? Seriously? (Strangely enough, I haven't seen it.)
In reply to deepsoup:

Yes, it is only a cameo - there is a motocross race near the start of the film, and I think she plays a character who manages the track and also starts the race. That's all. She was quite striking (and when I saw it, I didn't know it was her - I was interested to see who it was so I had to look it up afterward).
Not that I have a thing about Pink at all, it's just that the film was so uttery dreadful that the only vaguely memorable thing about was her cameo!
pineapple 03 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

You guys need to watch her perform it live:

youtube.com/watch?v=tvJFrrg4VvQ&

Singing live, and also not holding back on singing whilst jumping through the air or in a backbend. Anyone with any experience of singing whilst dancing would know that it is not easy.

She is very impressive.
OP deepsoup 03 Feb 2013
> Not that I have a thing about Pink at all, it's just that the film was so uttery dreadful that the only vaguely memorable thing about was her cameo!

In that case, I think I'll resist the temptation to rush out and get the dvd.
In reply to deepsoup:

iirc she was quite fetching in some sort of racing jumpsuit or some such thing.
In reply to deepsoup:

I just saved you a few quid and 20 minutes
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0004488/mediaindex
OP deepsoup 03 Feb 2013
Bit of a Mad Max thing going on, cool. And a review of the film - definitely won't be watching that one.
OP deepsoup 03 Feb 2013
In reply to pineapple:
I did see that - couldn't quite make my mind up whether I think she's singing live the whole time there, or lip synching at least a bit of it.

On balance I think you're right and she is singing live throughout, amazing.
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to pineapple)
>
> On balance I think you're right and she is singing live throughout, amazing.

Seriously?

Where is the microphone? How is the multitracked vocal and harmonising working?

Not taking away from Pink's impeccable credentials as a performer, but unless I am a bit behind on audio technology, that was as mimed as any Transvision Vamp performance.
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to deepsoup) I would!

I have!

Such a shame she wasn't there at the time...
 rallymania 03 Feb 2013
even if she's not singing live... that is still an impressive routine for a "pop star"

ice.solo 04 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

like it. always been a fan of 'girl power' type stuff even if the music doesnt do it for me, and Pinks near the top of the pile. i like her 'winner' persona.

bits of her look like a dude, but the other bits are great.

agreed, more interesting clip than most. reminds me a bit of the chemical brothers vid where two people assault each other with big textas.
OP deepsoup 04 Feb 2013
> Where is the microphone?
She's wearing a headset radio mic. It's right in front of (and slightly to right of) her mouth. Miming or not she's almost certainly wearing in-ear monitors too, though I don't think it's possible to see them at any point in the video.

> How is the multitracked vocal and harmonising working?
The backing vocals (and the instrumental band) are pre-recorded. During the bits where she's heavily multi-tracked it could be that her vocal is just one part relatively low in the mix, or it could be that she isn't singing audibly at all. Either way I guess she'd get to slack off the singing for a few seconds there.

There are a couple of other points where her mic clearly is live - the grunt and breath when he throws her onto the bed at about 1:30, the crack of the table breaking towards the end is just about audible, and at the end she's obviously (and audibly) breathing heavily.

> but unless I am a bit behind on audio technology
I think you must be, there's no technological reason it couldn't be a live performance and hasn't been for many years. All that's required is a pre-recorded backing track and one small and reasonably reliable radio mic.

It would be possible to fake the bits that convinced me she's singing live I suppose but unlikely and a bit pointless, can't really see it.

I have a small amount of professional insight here btw - I used to earn a living as a sound engineer on touring theatrical musicals. Several years packing everything at the end of the run then setting the system up again in the next venue on the tour, and the odd stint as a (competent, but not particularly good tbh) operator pushing faders on the FoH mixing desk.
 Kimono 04 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:
too many muscles, not enough 'up front' and a face like a butcher's dog...am i missing something here??
 jayferg76 04 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup: The Wife and i have seen her live 4 times now.

I've been to see a lot of bands over the years, and she definitly does the best live show i've seen. Very well put together and very entertaining.
Seeing her again in April, we're both looking forward to it.

There's only one thing that i don't like, and that's the almost militant attitude of some of her fans. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Lesbians at all (we've got gay and lesbian friends, so i'm not homophobic),
but the attitude of some of them seems to be that if your not gay then your not allowed to be a fan.
That's not just my opinion, but of our friends who go to see her as well, including our gay friends.
 LastBoyScout 04 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

I think a lot of her music is brilliant. I didn't like this song the first time I heard it, as I thought "try" was a bit too repeated, but it's grown on me.

That video is very impressive, as is the live one someone else posted - think someone's been watching a bit of Cirque du Soleil for inspiration.
 LastBoyScout 04 Feb 2013
>
> She was the only good thing about Charlies' Angels: Full Throttle

No, no, no - Lucy Liu was the only good thing in that
 jayferg76 04 Feb 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout: On her Funhouse tour, she had a French guy
(Sebastian somebody or other)who'd been in Cirque du Soleil doing tha airiel acrobatics with her. Very impressive stuff to watch.

It amazes me that she can still sing whilst doing it all. I know that she spends months rehearsing, but it must still take a certain amount of natural ability to pull it off.
 Blue Straggler 04 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks. The video was pretty poor quality (at least as viewed on my screen last night - maybe I had a dodgy broadband connection that corrupted it though) and I genuinely did not see the radio microphone (and I WAS looking for it, honest!)

I still have a feeling that there is more pre-recorded (on that video) than you are claiming. Even the heavy breathing at the end could be pre-recorded. But I will happily bow to your genuine experience of working on this stuff. My post last night was mostly based on the fact that I didn't spot the mic! I will watch it again
OP deepsoup 04 Feb 2013
The mic is quite discreet, but you'll spot it instantly on a better quality video. TBH, I can't imagine anyone miming without a mic now - the days of people singing on Top of the Pops with a "radio mic" that was actually just an SM58 with a 6" length of mic lead plugged into it are long gone.

I do have some first hand experience of this kind of thing, but it's still possible that I'm wrong and you're right. (I don't think so, but it is possible.
pineapple 04 Feb 2013
> (In reply to deepsoup)

> I still have a feeling that there is more pre-recorded (on that video) than you are claiming. Even the heavy breathing at the end could be pre-recorded.

Perhaps some of it is click-tracked, but I reckon most of what you hear from Pink herself is live. Pre-recording heavy breathing with a view to convincing the audience she is live is probably setting up for a fail, don't you think?

I think she deserves every credit for that performance. It's also nice to see someone with a gymnastic background who can move with the quality of a dancer.

Conf#2 04 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

She's incredible.

Conf#2 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:

F*ck off.
 Conf#2 04 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

This one gives me shivers:

youtube.com/watch?v=9eDJ3cuXKV4&
 Blue Straggler 05 Feb 2013
In reply to pineapple:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
>
> I think she deserves every credit for that performance.

I GAVE her full credit for that performance regardless of how the vocals were arranged. Even if it were entirely pre-recorded (which I don't think it was - just "maybe a lot of it"), it is still a great performance. This should have been clear from my first post in response to that video!

Timmd 05 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

I think this song by her has some of the best lyrics i've heard, it's a very touching song, it makes me think of certain friendships which have passed, and of the preciousness of friends. Great voice too.

youtube.com/watch?v=PLx9wWCGcRI&
 Dauphin 05 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

File under Product! Real dreck.

D

pineapple 05 Feb 2013
> (In reply to pineapple)
> [...]
>
> I GAVE her full credit for that performance regardless of how the vocals were arranged ... This should have been clear from my first post in response to that video!

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to have a dig at you there. Apologies if it came across that way. Just thought the performance was so good, it was worth repeating the praise!
 Tiberius 06 Feb 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

I always remember a line in one of her songs about Britney Spears and how 'she's not pretty like that'...I've always wondered what the hell she was on about as she's way hotter than Britney ever was.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...