UKC

Radio 2 drivetime

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 18 May 2018

This was the best show on Radio 2. Simon Mayo is an excellent broadcaster, intelligent, informed and entertaining, why have they teamed him up with the dreadful Jo Whiley? It's awful, there's no chemistry and Simon sounds hamstrung. 

Philip 18 May 2018
In reply to aln:

It was good when it was Johnnie Walker. Then that idiot and now Mayo. Gave up a long time ago and went to R4 podcasts or Spotify.

John Ww 19 May 2018
In reply to aln:

The thing is, I like Simon Mayo and his show, and I like Jo Whiley and her show - but I just don’t think it works as a combination. I just can’t see what the powers that be were trying to achieve.

OP aln 19 May 2018
In reply to John Ww:

Is that you Johnnie? 

John Ww 19 May 2018
In reply to aln:

Bugger - busted!!  

OP aln 19 May 2018
In reply to John Ww:

> I just can’t see what the powers that be were trying to achieve.

Me neither Johnnie. And the Thursday cooking spot with Nigel Barden has gone, it was the best 20 minutes of radio every week. 

summo 19 May 2018
In reply to John Ww:

> I just can’t see what the powers that be were trying to achieve.

Chasing equality. Not easy when many of the female r1/2 presenters only got the job because of daddies connections in the first place. Tarbuck, ball etc.. so that leaves jo 'too cool for school' whiley. 

They'd have done better to get rid of Wright whose format is a little tired. 

Post edited at 06:20
 cander 19 May 2018
In reply to aln:

I was chugging my way through to Cockermouth yesterday to pick up the Indian (chicken tikka Pathia - bloody awful gunk - not their finest hour) and I had to listen to it, pretty dire, both trying to talk over each other, SM clearly less exuberant than normal, JW still finding her feet. Hopefully it will sort it’s self out over the coming weeks or months but clearly a case of the sum of the talents being less than the individual talents. I too like them both as broadcasters, and they’re friends with each other but it’s just not jelling - shame.

Post edited at 08:16
 Steve Perry 19 May 2018
In reply to aln:

If this means they stop playing that flippin muppet music on a friday then I'm all for it. A leftover curse  on the nation from the carrot-topped egocentric four-eyed knobhead.

In reply to aln:

Never listen to Radio 2, but Mayo and Kermodes's film review programme 2-4 on Friday afternoons on FiveLive is one where if I miss it, I'll catch the podcast. Interesting that you don't have to be interested in film to really enjoy the show.

There's always the chance that Kermode will go off on one. His review of Sex and the City 2 is a classic of the genre....

youtube.com/watch?v=uHeQeHstrsc&

Steve Perry 19 May 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> There's always the chance that Kermode will go off on one. His review of Sex and the City 2 is a classic of the genre....

I remember that one, class!

Siward 19 May 2018
In reply to summo:

Ooh yes, get rid of Wright. I've been advocating that since the eighties! 

summo 19 May 2018
In reply to Siward:

> Ooh yes, get rid of Wright. I've been advocating that since the eighties! 

I can only cope with so many impressions of Trump or vine. 

Fruitbat 19 May 2018
In reply to aln:

It's quite uncomfortable listening, isn't it?

I know these things take a while to bed-in but Simon Mayo is sharp, quick-witted, a good interviewer and, what I think is essential for a DJ/radio presenter, he 'knows his music'. Jo Whiley is  pleasant enough but, when on her previous evening show, she often seemed to be a bit awkward sometimes, especially with guests, and when having to think of something off-the-cuff and she'd often fail to follow up on what could be an interesting point made by a guest. This is still apparent in the joint show but, unfortunately, seems to have stifled SM a little.

Her music knowledge doesn't seem to be as wide-ranging as it could/should be: on her previous show she played tracks that almost anyone -certainly a national presenter- would reasonably be expected to know and she'd get a word or two wrong of either the song name or performer. It was as if she'd had to read the info rather than just knowing it. I can't quote any examples, but it was noticeable a few times. I think they were 60s or 70s tracks so maybe she's more at home with indie and Britpop onwards from her Radio 1 days with Steve Lurpak. Simon May, in contrast, seems to have a solid music knowledge. 

As Summo said, this is apparently because of equality - well, you can't get more equal than a 1:1 ratio of male and female presenters on a show, can you? I wonder if it has been done as JW requested different hours? Fair enough if it has, but it's not resulted an improved listening experience. 

Fredt 20 May 2018
In reply to aln:

I have never liked Jo Whiley. She speaks in a pseudo intellectual voice using three times more words than necessary and says absolutely nothing. 

John Ww 20 May 2018
In reply to Fredt:

Well, I like her - and the fact that she’s gorgeous has nothing to do with it

Sean Kelly 20 May 2018
In reply to aln:

A moronic program  for morons of moronic music, no not music, noise and idle moronic talking. I instantly hit the off switch or have a quick swig of Domestos!

Lusk 20 May 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I wish I was really, really deep, insightful and had the intellect of all the geniuses the human race has produced so far.
Even then, I'd like to have a bit of light relief now and again.

Got to rest the old grey matter now and again, old chap

John Ww 20 May 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

So not that keen then?

DaveHK 21 May 2018
In reply to aln:

I've recently changed jobs, now have a driving commute and I'm really struggling with the radio. Chris Evans seems to be on one of his more manic phases, I'm just too old for R1, the Drivetime show is now pish as you say, Radio 4 has some great stuff but always seems to be financial news when I'm driving, the local station is vapid, I don't much care for classical music, Radio Scotland is repetitive and largely football based and I don't have a digital radio in the van so I can't get 6 Music.

Think I'm going to have to download some podcasts.

XXXX 21 May 2018
In reply to Fruitbat:

I think you mean he likes the music you like. Jo Whiley, whatever you think of her presenting style, very much 'knows her music.'

Fruitbat 21 May 2018
In reply to XXXX:

I don't know what music Simon Mayo likes but he seems to have a reasonable depth-of-knowledge on a wide range. Jo Whiley hasn't always given the same impression to me - nothing major, just seems to be on some older stuff, as I posted above. This is just my feeling, I've no stats or anything...

Both - when on their solo shows - played music that I like and some that I dont like.

Post edited at 10:31
Market_Chaos_Monday 21 May 2018
In reply to aln:

I now confer upon said time slot the title of "Drivel Time"

OP aln 21 May 2018
In reply to Market_Chaos_Monday:

Well done  

Max factor 21 May 2018
In reply to aln: I have an intense dislike of this programme. The only time every listen to it is when I am in the car, at rush hour, usually heading out for a rare weekend's climbing and inevitably stuck in traffic. The inanely cheerful traffic bulletins and dial ins from people stuck in jams just add to my anxiety about getting there. 

No problem with Simon or Jo, just be a DJ and play some tunes. 

OP aln 21 May 2018

> Never listen to Radio 2, but Mayo and Kermodes's film review programme 2-4 on Friday afternoons on FiveLive

Brilliant! Think I'll start listening to that. 

OP aln 21 May 2018
In reply to aln:

I tried again tonight, it's horrible. I don't like Whiley much anyway, her enthusiasm for ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING just feels so fake. But her and Mayo just aren't a team, no Marc and Lard, or Radcliffe and Maconie that's for sure. I think R2 has lost a long term listener. 

In reply to aln:

Kermode usually prefaces a rant with 'I'm not going to go off on one' and then does.

Worth seeking out his reviews of the Michael Bay Transformer movies on YouTube, which are really entertaining.

DreadyCraig 21 May 2018

> Never listen to Radio 2, but Mayo and Kermodes's film review programme ...

And hello to Jason Issacs

summo 21 May 2018
In reply to aln:

> I tried again tonight, it's horrible. I don't like Whiley much anyway, her enthusiasm for ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING just feels so fake. 

Same here... when they started going on about 'hacks' that was it for me. 

In reply to aln:

On a related note - the new Blues Show with Cerys Matthews is brilliant. Great interview with Ry Cooder tonight and some cracking music. She really does know her subject.

OP aln 21 May 2018
In reply to summo:

Oh god 'lifehacks', ewch, such pish... 

OP aln 21 May 2018
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Now that's a different thing and kinda my point, I like Cerys, she's genuine and knows her stuff but it's not my kinda music. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...