UKC

Recommend a stereo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J Brown 31 Jan 2013
Hopefully this is the right section...

I'm hoping to buy a new stereo soon - just looking for some tips.

Nothing technically extravagent, will only be playing in a relatively small room, and not super-loud, but I would like something of reasonable quality if possible. CD player and digital radio preferred. Ideally £150-£200.

Just wondering if anyone has any good tips?
 Jackwd 31 Jan 2013
In reply to J Brown: Have a look at this: http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-10642-denon-dm39dab-cddabdabfmusb-micro-system.a...

Also, the sound quality will vary alot depending on your speakers. IMHO you're better spending your money on good quality speakers than CD player.
 graeme jackson 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Jackwd:
>IMHO you're better spending your money on good quality speakers than CD player.

...which is the exact opposite to the advice given by every hi-fi journalist and expert in the country who all say (and I tend to agree in part) that you should get the best source components you can afford. Good speakers won't make a turnip sound like a peach.

Anyway, if you only have £150 to spend you don't have much choice for decent components so you'd be as well looking for a decent quality 'beat box' OR trawl ythrough ebay (sometimes some real quality going for a song)

MonkeyPuzzle 31 Jan 2013
In reply to graeme jackson:

Partly true, but if you're buying with a view to upgrade, then it's nice to know that your speakers are slightly future-proofed. If not, then, in terms of your overall budget, roughly 20% CD Player, 40% Amplifier and 40% Speakers. Spend an additional 5-10% of what you spent on the system on the cables and interconnects.

To the OP, you didn't mention if you already owned any speakers, because that Denon system doesn't come with any.
 mrchewy 31 Jan 2013
In reply to J Brown: I bought the daughter some cracking 1970s Mission speakers for £10.50 off ebay - collection only and just 4 miles from my house, I think I was the only person to bid.
 Jackwd 31 Jan 2013
In reply to graeme jackson: And im not a hi-fi journalist which is why I put "in my opinion". Plus, at entry-level equipment you are more likely to hear the difference between speakers rather than CD players.

Speakers tend to do different genres better (more attuned to different frequencies) than others so make an informed decision from hearing them rather than just going with what people say are good.

You can get that system with speakers but I think you pay around £150 more on superfi. Good system though, I use an earlier version with a pair of Maxim-2's seem good enough for bedroom and occasional listening. Again, in my opinion (if i'm allowed one).
 mike123 31 Jan 2013
In reply to J Brown: my thoughts pretty much covered above, i have a separates system thats packed away due to the house being full of children, we now use a denon cd/radio with some small mission speakers that used to be our "3rd" system, its quite good in a small room, i d look on ebay for denon midi systems and some book shelf speakers.
 mike123 31 Jan 2013
In reply to mike123: theres a denon ud m50 3 on there now, the speakers with this are very good value as is the head unit, no dab though
In reply to J Brown: Do you have an iPod? If so, why not buy a dock. I have a Monitor Audio iDeck 100 in the living room (the rather expensive hifi lives in a different room) and it continually surprises me with the quality of its sound. Widely available for £80, it's a serious bargain at the price.

T.
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Although reading your post again, the dock I've recommended doesn't have radio. It will go plenty loud enough to fill a medium-sized room though.

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...