UKC

Recommend Me a Good Climbing Book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Woollard 18 Nov 2020

Just finished The Impossible Climb and looking for a new book about climbing/climbers to get me through these dark wet days

Suggestions please

Andy Say 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Steve Woollard:

The Ascent of Rum Doodle.

Hard to beat.....

In reply to Andy Say:

Thanks Andy, good book but read it while doing Ama Dablam and spent the time matching the characters in the book to those out with us

afx22 18 Nov 2020

I enjoyed Tommy Cauldwell’s book, The Push, the most.

Doug 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Steve Woollard: John Porter's 'One Day As a Tiger: Alex Macintyre and the Birth of Light and Fast' is probably the best climbing book I've read in the last few years

jcking231 18 Nov 2020

I thought Andy Pollitts autobiography "Punk In The Gym" was excellent

Andy Clarke 18 Nov 2020

If you find soloing interesting, then I can thoroughly recommend Jules Lines's Tears of the Dawn: fascinating, well-written and attractively produced.

Some of my other favourites:

Paul Pritchard: Deep Play: brilliant evocation of a particular time and culture in British climbing, which has stood the test of time very well;

Paul Pritchard: The Totem Pole: very different but equally gripping - particularly scary and inspiring if you've ever had  a serious climbing accident;

Johnny Dawes: Full of Myself: unique;

Wade Davis: Into The Silence: if you want  something historical - meticulously researched, magisterial account  of the three 1920's Everest expeditions and their cultural context.

Sean Kelly 18 Nov 2020

Not quite mountaineering Steve but Apsley Cherry-Garrard's 'Worst Journey in the World' is an excellent read.

climber34neil 18 Nov 2020

Life on the edge, Eric Jones 

Removed User 18 Nov 2020

Saw a review of a new book called The Moth and the Mountain, a non-fiction account of a Mallory-era guy who thought the way to climb Everest would be to ditch a plane on it's higher slopes and scramble the rest. 

Blue Straggler 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

sounds interesting, and what a visionary! 

Recently read and enjoyed 'no picnic on Mount kenya' and 'into the silence' 

In reply to jcking231:

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, there’s enough here to keep me going right through the winter. I went for Punk in the Gym to start with as I’m still a punk at heart.

Mick Ward 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Not quite mountaineering Steve but Apsley Cherry-Garrard's 'Worst Journey in the World' is an excellent read.

An absolutely wonderful book. Unbelievable privation. Heartbreaking.

Mick

Myfyr Tomos 19 Nov 2020

I always go back to WH Murray's "Mountaineering in Scotland". Of its time, but wonderful writing.

Post edited at 17:37
 RANGITOTO 19 Nov 2020

Echoes of a Dream - A Crag Rats Tale by Richard McHardy.

A great read.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...