UKC

Revisiting Metallica

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Used to be into these at school but have recently been giving some of their newer stuff a whirl.

youtube.com/watch?v=xUMqqVOlJBs&

The intro spells out S.O.S. in Morse code before settling into a satisfying bass riff.

Toccata 27 Mar 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

I played Master of Puppets the other day and I was immediately wearing a black embossed-graphic T shirt in the back room of the house playing Warhammer 40k with my school friends. A La Recherche...

toad 27 Mar 2019

I don't play Metallica at home. Boring and self indulgent. (In my opinion, obviously 😉 ) But possibly one of THE best live gigs ever!

In reply to Toccata:

> I played Master of Puppets the other day and I was immediately wearing a black embossed-graphic T shirt in the back room of the house playing Warhammer 40k with my school friends. A La Recherche...

I was also listening to Master of Puppets for the first time in years the other day.

What struck me about it was the fairly crap production on that album , it's all very quiet and not compressed enough for my modern ears.

Megadeath were always my favourite 

Much snappier , more punk and Mustaine's a better vocalist.

Metallica sort of peaked at the black album I think . 

MikeSP 27 Mar 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

What struck me about it was the fairly crap production on that album , it's all very quiet and not compressed enough for my modern ears.

You need to put your head in a fish bowl (full of course) while listening, then it'll sound like the production genius of St Anger  

mullermn 27 Mar 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Metallica have had some bad albums among the recent ones but if you’ve not listened to Hardwired to Self Destruct you should, it’s much more like Master. 

Lars (drummer) is basically in charge of the band and is basically an idiot. He’s the reason why the mix for And Justice For All has basically no bass in it. 

If you look on YouTube (and other sources) you can find a mix called And Justice For Jason (referring to the bassist) which is a surprisingly high quality fan-made remix that puts the bass back in. There are even different mixes so you can decide how much bass you want.

They’re much less tinny and that’s what I listen to now - though it’s worth noting that Jason’s opinion about what he thought of the good mix was that he thought the good mix was the one that went multiple platinum (or whatever it did) at the time. 

Edit: things with too much ‘bass’(ically) in it include this post. I really should proof read. 

Post edited at 16:25
In reply to toad:

> Boring and self indulgent. (In my opinion, obviously 😉 )

Isn't all music is self indulgent?

In reply to mullermn:

Reminded me of the redux by Brendan O'Brien of Pearl Jam's Ten.

It is incredible how much better that album sounds compared to the original...really incredible, to the point that I am amazed anyone can listen to the original anymore.

I 100% agree re Lars Ulrich being the boss of Metallica. JH and KH are both kittens of self doubt. LU has a certain arrogance about him for sure. I will check out that AJFA mix...thx

I bunked off school once and went up to London to see my then favourite band Metal Church play at the Marquee. Queuing up, the poster on the wall had a sticker on it saying "Support band Vertigo" 

None of us had heard of them. And as it happens, Metal Church were not exactly hitting the big time so there were only about 200 of us in there. As we were at the front of the queue, we lined up right at the center stage and waited for Vertigo to come on. Then my sharp eyed mate noticed the drum kit had two tiny Danish flags hanging on tiny flag poles on top of both bass drums. Hhmmm. Then a rumour went around the 50 or so of us who were hanging around in front of the stage that Metallicas record label is vertigo...could this be a warm up gig for their Black tour? Nah...no way. BUT, Metal Church's guitarist used to be a roadie for Kirk Hammett?? No chance

Lights dim....Mike Howe comes on stage (MC lead singer) , grabs mic and screams "let me welcome onto the stage our support act VERTIGOOOO" and walked off.

And then it happened. James Hetfield standing right in front of me, I can touch his ESP Snakebite he almost stands on my hand in his black converse...He growls something into the microphone but i'm still trying to digest it all as he rips into Creeping Death. 

It would be an understatement to say we.lost.our.sh1t 

They played their whole set for the forthcoming tour, I got backstage between sets and met them all... including Jaff Waters of Annihilator quite randomly...and Kirk Hammett was naked, lounged on a filthy sofa smoking a spliff.

One of the most amazing days of my life

Clarence 28 Mar 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> LU has a certain arrogance about him for sure. 

Short Viking Syndrome.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...