UKC

Richard Thompson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 15 Sep 2018

Bloody hell, hes nearly 70, but his new material is fantastic

:// youtube.com/watch?v=xt2a3WliLA4&

Seeing him in a month and I'm really very excited

Removed User 16 Sep 2018
In reply to toad:

F*ck I thought he was dead for a minute there.

Post edited at 00:07
 Tringa 16 Sep 2018
In reply to toad:

One of long time greats of the British music scene who largely goes under the radar.

Dave

IM 16 Sep 2018
In reply to toad:

The new album is great. Fantastic guitar playing throughout. 

In reply to toad:

He is a splendid guitarist.  I've found that, on average, I like only one in three of his albums but the ones I do like, I like a great deal.

On the age thing, I saw Camel last week; Andy Latimer, the main man and guitarist, is also nearly 70.  He gave a splendid performance too.

T.

IM 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I am similar re Richard T, think some of his stuff his utterly brilliant but most of it leaves me a bit cold. Always enjoyed him live though. But his new album is fab, every track. You should have a listen.

Great to hear Andrew Latimer is still going strong, always one of my favourite guitarists.

Clauso 16 Sep 2018
In reply to toad:

I've seen him play live, a good few times, over recent years. I've really enjoyed the gigs. 

I was going to give his latest tour a miss, to avoid Thompson fatigue. Having read the comments about his new album - I haven't yet listened to it - I may have to rethink my plans.

Bulls Crack 18 Sep 2018
In reply to IM:

I'll give it a listen but I've found his music , unsurprisingly maybe, increasingly less engaging in recent years. In the absence of strong melodies he seemed to adopt a default, minor key, drone up and down the scale. Always a great guitarist though. 

Andy Say 18 Sep 2018
In reply to toad:

RT is simply THE MAN.  Stunning guitarist, great lyricist and acute observer of the human condition*.

*Loudon Wainwright III probably the best...….'hides under bed'.

In reply to Bulls Crack:

He has set the bar high though, there are some outstanding tracks on previous albums.  My personal favourite is probably Mirror Blue; it's not without its flaws but when it's good (I Ride In Your Slipstream, Beeswing, King Of Bohemia), it's really very good indeed.  Having bought the latest album I'd agree that it's well worth hearing, but enough to make me go and see him?  Not sure about that.  

Different strokes, and all.  There's a tribute album of RT songs, Beat The Retreat, which is worth a listen too.  There are some covers that really don't work, for me at least, but the cover by Shawn Colvin and Loudon Wainwright III of A Heart Needs A Home is one of my desert island tracks, soft old romantic fool that I am.

T.

OP toad 18 Sep 2018
In reply to toad:

A related, but sad note. Maartin Allcock has died, a month after his final appearance at Cropredy. Formerly of Fairport and Jethro Tull

( didn't think he warranted an rip thread)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...