UKC

RIP Andy Rourke

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 19 May 2023

Sad loss, great bassist from a fantastic band. 

n1ge 19 May 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

A great musician from my favourite ever band. By all accounts a lovely person too. A sad loss.

In reply to n1ge:

It’s really rubbish when a favourite musician dies. When I heard Chris Cornell died (Soundgarden), I cried, and still struggle a bit when I hear a song of his. These folk have a huge impact on many of us. 

Rob Parsons 19 May 2023

> It’s really rubbish when a favourite musician dies.

Good musicians give a lot of people a lot of pleasure. There are plenty of worse epitaphs.

Post edited at 22:46
 philipivan 20 May 2023

Mark Lannegan too. I still don't think I've got over freddie mercury dying, I was a massive queen fan from about 10-16.

dread-i 20 May 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Good musicians give a lot of people a lot of pleasure. There are plenty of worse epitaphs.

Music is so tightly bound with emotions, people, times and places. It's, in my opinion, the highest of art forms.

RIP Mr R.

Rob Parsons 20 May 2023
In reply to dread-i:

> Music is so tightly bound with emotions, people, times and places. It's, in my opinion, the highest of art forms.

Scottish sculptor Sandy Stoddart (see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Stoddart) refers to music as the 'super-art.' I agree.

Lankyman 20 May 2023

Anyone who broke up with someone in the eighties will be feeling sad. 'I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour but Heaven knows I'm miserable now'.

JLS 21 May 2023

It’s always hard to quantify the contribution of the bass player. I liked his hair. Shame he’s gone. RIP

Lankyman 21 May 2023
In reply to JLS:

> It’s always hard to quantify the contribution of the bass player. I liked his hair. Shame he’s gone. RIP

Some bass players do more than others and I think Andy was one of those. If you listen to many classic Smiths songs the bass line is distinct from and very different to the guitar parts. 

Rob Parsons 21 May 2023
In reply to JLS:

> It’s always hard to quantify the contribution of the bass player. I liked his hair. Shame he’s gone. RIP

A good rhythm section is absolutely crucial to any band.

Kryank 21 May 2023

I always remember a Musician  friend of mine saying that you can always tell a good rhythm section of a band as you never notice them! 
RIP and a sad loss 

Andy Clarke 22 May 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> Some bass players do more than others and I think Andy was one of those. If you listen to many classic Smiths songs the bass line is distinct from and very different to the guitar parts. 

Sat down to listen to Strangeways Here We Come over the weekend and the quintessentially Smiths Death of a Disco Dancer is a case in point. That ominously advancing threat of a bass line is right at the dark heart of the song while Marr scratches and arpeggiates over the top. Brilliant.

Lankyman 24 May 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

I know there was legal action between Marr/Morrissey and the 'other guys' over royalties. Even if they didn't actually put pen to paper and just put it down on the day then that was enough to be acknowledged.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...