UKC

RIP Julian Bream

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 14 Aug 2020

Very sad to hear of his death, one of the greats of 20th century British music who did much to popularise classical guitar music. And recognised outside the UK as it was only a couple of weeks ago that I heard a programme about him on French radio.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/14/julian-bream-british-classica...

Removed User 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

Sad news-a truly great player and by all accounts a very nice bloke.

Trangia 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

Very sad. I met him in the 1970s when I was doing some work on his premises in Wiltshire. A really nice guy.

Arcturus 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

I first saw Julian Bream at Sheffield City Hall in about 1962. I had a seat in the second row. He was only a few feet away. I was just a young teenager and I'd been playing classical guitar for about three years. I was completely mesmerised. It was not just his brilliant playing and interpretation but his rapport with the audience. At that time classical music recitals were often rather stuffy affairs with quite a lot of up-tight people. Julian Bream was not that way inclined at all. He engaged with the audience as though they were friends. That first recital of his that I went to made a lasting impression on me.

He was a total master of his art. Many guitarists regard him as one of the truly great interpreters of the classical guitar (although he sometimes wandered off into other genres). Of his many defining performances of particular pieces i would especially recommend you listen to his interpretation of Granada by Albeniz, it is simply sublime. It can be found on YouTube , just Google Julian Bream Granada.

He appeared to have had a good life and has left a wonderful legacy of recorded work for his many fans to enjoy.

pneame 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Arcturus:

Well that was certainly lovely. Thanks for the recommendation.

mbh 19 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

That is sad to hear. My dad was a big fan of his and from that followed my lifelong fondness for Spanish guitar and the likes of Dowland and Byrd. Long ago, too, it led me to see him at the Cambridge Corn Exchange in 1984 or so, on an odd bill that included Rory Gallagher. They jarred. I'd rather have seen each of them do their own show.

Sayon 19 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

There are some superb videos on YouTube of him playing some of the Albeniz pieces, with subtitles discussing the music. It's an interesting travelogue through Franco -era Spain watching these- my favourite of the videos is probably "Cadiz".

youtube.com/watch?v=2L0sdZ3TbJ8&

Post edited at 13:21
In reply to Doug

Last Word had an interesting obituary/discussion on the great Julian Beam today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ltsd

Chris

OP Doug 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Christheclimber:

thanks for that link

pneame 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

might be behind a paywall...

https://www.economist.com/obituary/2020/08/22/julian-bream-died-on-august-1...

and he re-popularised the lute -  youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jvmh_Giaw&

which I didn't know

Tom Valentine 22 Aug 2020
In reply to mbh:

Perhaps if Mr Bream had worn a check shirt and sneakers things might not have jarred so much. 

ohsmeg 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Doug:

I remember seeing him live at King’s College Chapel in Cambridge, probably very late 70’s. Around the same time I also saw him perform at the Royal Albert Hall. His rendition of Concerto de Aranjuez can still stop me in my tracks. Raw emotion. Thank you Julian Bream.

freeflyer 05 Sep 2020
In reply to Doug:

I first came across him in the very popular Together classical albums that he did with John Williams, which are lovely easy listening. I always favoured Williams because I thought he was more emotional, but later I came to realise what a consummate musician Bream was - such attention to detail. Apparently he told Williams off for looking at his fingers all the time. Classic He does look at them.

His is the best rendition of Recuerdos de la Alhambra I've ever heard; so many classically trained guitarists don't seem to be able to get a smooth tremolo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...