UKC

RIP R Lee Ermey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 16 Apr 2018

Former military man famed for playing the unforgettable Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket, leading to a fairly healthy second career acting in lesser-but-still-OK B-movies.

Mick Ward 16 Apr 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Bless him. He sure scared the shit out of me in that film. R.I.P.

Mick

dread-i 16 Apr 2018

'Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?'

Chris Harris 16 Apr 2018

Sir, RIP, Sir.

In reply to Chris Harris:

> Sir, RIP, Sir.

Very good.

it was a shame that it was one lousy PULL-UP that he was goading Pt. Pyle into doing. 

If it had been a PUSH-UP I could have done something clever and funny regarding pushing up the daisies....

DerwentDiluted 16 Apr 2018

A truly awesome performance, all the more impressive when you consider he did most of it with a broken arm.

So many memorable quotes, I have borrowed from him several times, shouting down at a few seconds while climbing " Private Pyle, you climb my route like old people f**k"

Chris Harris 16 Apr 2018

I was impressed that they managed to find a swearing-free clip to play on the radio this morning. 

Fredt 16 Apr 2018

A sad loss for the NRA, of which he was a board member.

Stichtplate 16 Apr 2018

Loads of the bollockings he handed out in FMJ were improv based on his experience as a real live USMC Staff Sergeant. He maintained that he had to explain to Kubrick what a 'reach around' was. Modine was excellent, but Ermey stole the film.

In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> A truly awesome performance, all the more impressive when you consider he did most of it with a broken arm.

Also impressive when you consider that he wasn't an actor but an advisor, and Kubrick decided to replace the actor and put Ermey in front of the camera! OK maybe FMJ was "easy" for him, but he seemed to ease into acting in aforementioned B-movies in sometimes-different sorts of roles e.g. the sympathetic sherriff in Switchback. And sometimes-typecast roles e.g. the Hartman-esque sheriff in the remake of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

andymac 16 Apr 2018

I liked him .

even a few weeks ago ,I watched one of his YouTube clips from the range.

his pro -America ,anti Brit shoot offs were good fun ,and for once he actually admitted that the Bren gun was a good bit of kit.

Bren Gun 1 :BAR 0

RIP Gunny

andymac 16 Apr 2018

Sherriff Hoyt was a great character.

and I remember a similar role in the brilliant 'Mississippi Burning';

perfectly cast as a Klan-esque bigwig (I think) 

DerwentDiluted 16 Apr 2018
In reply to andymac:

> his pro -America ,anti Brit shoot offs were good fun ,and for once he actually admitted that the Bren gun was a good bit of kit.

> Bren Gun 1 :BAR 0

Off on a slight tangent but I'm sure Gunney wouldn't mind. I remember talking to a friends Grandfather who was a member of Linge Kompanie, the Norwegian Commandos who trained at Glenmore lodge. He said the Bren was too good. When pressed he said it was so accurate and stable to fire that it put 15 bullets into 1 German, when putting 15 bullets into 15 Germans would have been preferable....

JohnO1978 17 Apr 2018
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Thats correct in that it was too accurate for a Machine Gun when you are looking to achieve what is known as a "beaten zone". 

Removed User 17 Apr 2018
In reply to JohnO1978:

> Thats correct in that it was too accurate for a Machine Gun when you are looking to achieve what is known as a "beaten zone". 

For which the GPMG could not be bettered.

Removed User 17 Apr 2018

Interestingly (to me anyway) I went to see FMJ the night before I had to attend my own basic training. Although not quite in the same vein as the FMJ scenes there were certainly moments worthy of comparison.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...