UKC

Sad old rockers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I read this today and thought how sad it was that two people who have given so much enjoyment to different audiences can be so petty about their homes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46855232

Gone for good 13 Jan 2019
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I would say one legendary old rock star ... and one very average singer/performer  with a highly overinflated opinion of himself who couldn't hold a candle to the rock stars of the 60s and 70s. 

wbo 13 Jan 2019
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:it's very 'slade in residence'. Very funny

DerwentDiluted 13 Jan 2019

Not exactly a whole lotta love, communication breakdown, a battle of evermore with no quarter asked or given.

DancingOnRock 13 Jan 2019

I don’t think it’s petty. It’s going about it in a petty way but having someone excavating within feet of a listed building that has been fully restored is being very selfish.

This is pretty typical of what’s going on, on a large scale in London where land places are so high and everyone’s is living so close to each other. 

Post edited at 21:20
 Blue Straggler 13 Jan 2019

Is Page being petty or is he raising a legitimate concern?

ChrisBrooke 13 Jan 2019
In reply to DancingOnRock:

There’s living close to each other and living close to each other though.... Life may be found to be broadly tolerable in abutting mansions

What strikes me as odd is why Robbie so desperately wants a swimming pool. Does he just love bashing out the lengths so much that he must have one in his home? Are there not expensive, exclusive pools in London where he can swim and not be disturbed? Or is it just a status symbol? Is he not ‘accomplished’ enough, has he not garnered enough status already? Or, and you may or may not excuse the poor taste, is he just after somewhere to drown tragically after a coke binge at some point in the future...?

Blue Straggler 13 Jan 2019
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

I was wondering about that too

MonkeyPuzzle 13 Jan 2019
In reply to wbo:

Absolutely. It's piss funny. The bits about him impersonating a fat Robert Plant are hilarious.

MonkeyPuzzle 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

> I would say one legendary old rock star ... and one very average singer/performer  with a highly overinflated opinion of himself who couldn't hold a candle to the rock stars of the 60s and 70s. 

Robbie Williams solo and as part of Take That was pretty f*cking famous and part of music that is a huge part of many many people's lives. The fact that we think he was shit is neither here nor there.

FactorXXX 14 Jan 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Robbie Williams solo and as part of Take That was pretty f*cking famous and part of music that is a huge part of many many people's lives. The fact that we think he was shit is neither here nor there.

Aren't you just endorsing the whole modern concept of what makes someone 'good'?  
Talent?  Maybe.
Good management and marketing by the likes of shysters like Simon Cowell? Distinct possibility...

Removed User 14 Jan 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Aren't you just endorsing the whole modern concept of what makes someone 'good'?  

> Talent?  Maybe.

> Good management and marketing by the likes of shysters like Simon Cowell? Distinct possibility...

Well I thought he was great in Mork and Mindy.

Blue Straggler 14 Jan 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

I didn’t see any mention of “good” or “talent” in MonkeyPuzzle’s post, because there was no mention of either. Fame was mentioned. 

MonkeyPuzzle 14 Jan 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

Talent is a nebulous concept that is totally subjective to the end consumer.

I don't think most Take That fans would think Jimmy Page's violin bow work on Dazed and Confused as vaguely worthwhile.

DancingOnRock 14 Jan 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

Robbie Williams is not a result of pure marketing. He has worked very hard since an early age to get where he is and was trained at acting school. 

Plant on the other hand learned his craft singing in the blues circuit from age 16.

Both are pretty talented individuals which shows in their longevity and appeal to many different audiences. 

They should be working together not locked in a stupid argument and Williams should wind his neck in and remember his actions impact on other people. 

Sounds like there is a very old tiled flooring of historical interest that could be irreparably damaged by vibration.

Tom Valentine 14 Jan 2019

I don't think poor old Robert is involved in this dispute, other than being the butt of Williams's odd sense of humour

In reply to Tom Valentine:

I assumed he had objected to the planning permission himself. Does he actually ‘own’ the house or is it on a lease from English Heritage Trust or similar, or would it be the Trust who have objected? 

Bellie 14 Jan 2019
In reply to keith-ratcliffe

Reads to me like someone has sent a spoof letter to the planners. Wouldn't be the first time.

Tringa 14 Jan 2019

My tastes are much more toward the music of Led Zepplin than of Robbie Williams but Williams does have a great voice.

Unfortunately what I have seen of him in the media doesn't suggest he has a great personality.

He was perfectly within his rights to apply for planning permission for the pool, just as Page was to object to it. It could be Jimmy Page objected because he doesn't like Williams, I don't know.

However, its not unreasonable to think such a excavation could have an impact on Page's house and this was the reason he gave for the objection. It appears now the council have agreed with Robbie Williams.

If the reports are true it seems getting the planning result he wanted isn't enough. The piss taking of Robert Plant(how is he involved in their dispute?) -is pathetic and boils down to him saying,"Hey, your mate's a fatty." - it is childish.

Clearly being magnanimous in victory isn't one of Robbie's attributes.

Dave

Tringa 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> Well I thought he was great in Mork and Mindy.

Did he do Mork and Mindy before becoming Archbishop of Canterbury?

Dave

The New NickB 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Bellie:

> In reply to keith-ratcliffe

> Reads to me like someone has sent a spoof letter to the planners. Wouldn't be the first time.

This. Seems unlikely that either is involved. 

As I said before, I don't think Robert Plant is involved in this dispute.

If I've read it all correctly,  it is between Jimmy Page and Robbie Williams.

Post edited at 12:20
 Siward 14 Jan 2019

That's true. Take That were 'manufactured' but only from youngsters who had applied themselves single mindedly to their craft.

Gary Barlow's recent Desert Island Discs appearance is well worth a listen in that regard.

As to the extension, given the money available, given that they can build Crossrail feet underneath the concert hall in the Barbican centre whilst managing the vibration (tracks on springs, crazy stuff), then surely the extension could be properly built without too much collateral intrusion.

Ah. I see what you mean now. 

Apparently Plant has got more sense than to live in London, got a nice farmhouse conversion near Bewdley in the Midlands, gone back to his roots, so to speak......

In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Talent is a nebulous concept that is totally subjective to the end consumer.

> I don't think most Take That fans would think Jimmy Page's violin bow work on Dazed and Confused as vaguely worthwhile.

But Spinal Tap fans are greatly appreciative.

> I read this today and thought how sad it was that two people who have given so much enjoyment to different audiences can be so petty about their homes.

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46855232

There seems to be a lot less to this story than meets the eye.

Gone for good 15 Jan 2019

> Apparently Plant has got more sense than to live in London, got a nice farmhouse conversion near Bewdley in the Midlands, gone back to his roots, so to speak......

Indeed and one of the few famous people who are happy to admit they support Wolverhampton Wanderers!!

jim robertson 19 Jan 2019

Chalcot Square NW1.... long standing resident

Tom Valentine 19 Jan 2019
In reply to jim robertson:

Shatterford must be his country seat, then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...