UKC

“Sharing” music

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 15 May 2021

Following on from threads about motor cycle noise, I feel the need to vent off some steam over enforced music listening. Not wishing to sound too smug and self-satisfied, but I don’t drive around with my car windows open inflicting my choice of music on others. For those who do, is this a form of showing off whereby people want others to be impressed by their sophisticated taste?

Another example is the builders’ disco phenomenon. It seems that all builders must have loud thumping “music” if they are to do any work at all, with complete disregard for anyone else. This morning my neighbour, who runs a building business of some sort, and is on an everyday basis a good neighbour with consideration shown as a matter of course to the rest of us, is doing some work on his own house. And guess what? 
Of course, I haven’t said anything, not wanting to fall out over a fairly trivial matter, but I find myself grumping and wondering whether to open my front windows and put on some wild Shostakovich at full volume. I haven’t yet.

mrphilipoldham 15 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Any reputable builder would only ever have Radio 2 on. Mandatory tea break at 10.30 for Pop Master.

artif 15 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

If the music's too loud.........

As for radio 2, I'll never be that old 😁

Hooo 15 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've come to the conclusion that there are two types of people when it comes to playing music. Those like me and you who would never force others to listen to our music, the embarrassment of accidentally doing so would be on a par with taking a dump in public. And then there are the others, for whom the idea that other people might not like to listen along has not even crossed their minds, and if it did then it wouldn't bother them in the slightest. 

I have to work on construction sites reasonably often, and while the big sites are a massive PITA regarding all the red tape involved in actually getting in to the site and getting any work done, they do have a considerable up-side in that they all ban music playing. The small sites are a lot less hassle, but then I'm subjected to shit music and ads all day from every other contractors radio.

I had to sort through our Yellow Box storage unit the other day. The utter scum who run it have decided to pipe Crapital FM through speakers throughout the entire site. I genuinely can't comprehend how someone could go to the effort of actually setting this up, without it occurring to them that it will piss some people off, and the people who it wouldn't piss off could just bring their own radio along anyway.

David Alcock 15 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

8th Quartet, original Borodin recording. That'll sort him out. 

Tony Buckley 15 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> I don’t drive around with my car windows open inflicting my choice of music on others. For those who do, is this a form of showing off whereby people want others to be impressed by their sophisticated taste?

Given that those who do this are usually young people driving some small car tarted up with go-faster accessories playing some god-awful things that seem to consist mostly of thumping bass, I have a plan for revenge.

One day, I will own a Triumph Stag which I will drive with the top down playing 'Where do you go to, my lovely' at any group of young people I can find.  A fetching sheepskin jacket, Panama hat, cigar and a facial expression that conjures up memories Terry Thomas will be my companions.

Of course, the Triumph Stag will inevitably do what it does best.  While I'm waiting for the recovery truck I'll change the music to 'They're coming to take me away, ha ha'.

One day.  Maybe not today, but one day . . .

T.

Tringa 15 May 2021
In reply to Hooo:

> I've come to the conclusion that there are two types of people when it comes to playing music. Those like me and you who would never force others to listen to our music, the embarrassment of accidentally doing so would be on a par with taking a dump in public. And then there are the others, for whom the idea that other people might not like to listen along has not even crossed their minds, and if it did then it wouldn't bother them in the slightest. 

An accurate analysis, Hooo.

Dave

wercat 15 May 2021
In reply to Tony Buckley:

and driving gloves ?

nufkin 15 May 2021
In reply to Hooo:

>  I genuinely can't comprehend how someone could go to the effort of actually setting this up

Is it maybe to dissuade people from setting up permanent camp in their storage unit?

Tony Buckley 15 May 2021
In reply to wercat:

Ah yes, of course.  

T.

toad 15 May 2021
In reply to Tony Buckley:

a Lotus Europa, with Emma Peel along for the ride 

Blue Straggler 15 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Such a new phenomenon too! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...