UKC

Shipton Tilman Christian name quote

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lex 23 May 2018

Hi, does anyone k ow in which book Shipton writes of saying to Tilman they should call each other by their first names after a month in a tent. No, I don't think so was the reply.. 

Cheers, Lex

In reply to lex:

I think it was in his book 'Nanda Devi', or failing that (actually more likely), Tilman's book 'The Ascent of Nanda Devi'. I've got them downstairs and will look later.

C Witter 23 May 2018
In reply to lex:

Perrin mentions it in his book; there might be a citation, knowing Perrin's rigorousness!

Post edited at 11:11
 Bob Aitken 23 May 2018

It may not be the first time he told the story, but Shipton does recount it in his autobiography 'That Untravelled World' p85:  "As we had done in Africa, we continued to address each other as 'Tilman' and 'Shipton'; and when, after another seven months continuously together, I suggested it was time he called me 'Eric' he became acutely embarrassed, hung his head and muttered, 'It sounds so damned silly'".

It's a good story, but Jim Perrin suggests that it may have been one of Shipton's frequent jokes, just to illustrate how reticent Tilman was - on the basis that Tilman was unfailingly polite and wouldn't have responded in that way.   I guess we may never know.

Jim Hamilton 23 May 2018
In reply to lex:

JRL Anderson in his biography on Tilman recounts the story, and says Shipton assured him it was not apocryphal (taking place "resting on a ledge in the high Himalaya after a particularly arduous traverse").

Siward 23 May 2018
In reply to lex:

Not offhand no, but David Attenborough's memoirs:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=po4Es1kztr8C&pg=PA143&lpg=PA143...

mention the following exchange:

Shipton- 'Now that we know each other pretty well, so you think we might stop calling one another by our surnames.' To which Tilman replied, 'Are you suggesting that I should call you Eric? I'm afraid I couldn't do that. I should feel such a bloody fool.'

Trangia 23 May 2018
In reply to Siward:

Wasn't on making the first Ascent of Nandi Devi that Tilman wrote "On reaching the summit, I believe we so forgot ourselves as to shake hands"?

OMR 23 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

I can't remember which hill it was, but I'm sure it was Noel Odell he was climbing with at that point, rather then Shipton. From the way it was written I assumed it was a joke, Tilman making a knowing joke about his own reputation for stuffiness - or rather reticence maybe.

Trangia 23 May 2018
In reply to OMR:

I've just looked it up - I've got the book "The Ascent of Nanda Devi" 

It was Nanda Devi, and you are right, he was climbing with Odell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...