UKC

Splendid TV for conspiracy theorists on BBC 4 tonight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony Buckley 15 Feb 2023

For those of you that think that there's a lot goes on that we don't get told about, there's a programme about Porton Down on BBC 4 tonight. It's a repeat and from watching it before I think the word that stuck in my mind was 'unsettling'.

After that, the utterly magnificent Edge of Darkness. It's getting on a bit now but if you're old enough to remember the 1980s and you've not seen it before, you've missed out. There's a scene a couple of minutes long in the first episode with no words, just some music in the background, which ends with Bob Peck holding a teddy bear and a revolver. It's a spellbinding piece of acting, but the whole thing remains one of the landmark TV dramas.

I'll watch them with a glass of wine this evening, having first checked that it isn't full of anthrax, novichock or polonium.

T.

aln 15 Feb 2023
In reply to Tony Buckley:

> if you remember the 1980s

then you weren't doing it properly! 

Forest Dump 15 Feb 2023

Last night's Storyville on the Israeli's Pegasus spyware programme was decent too 

Rob Parsons 16 Feb 2023
In reply to Forest Dump:

> Last night's Storyville on the Israeli's Pegasus spyware programme was decent too 

That program was very interesting for several reasons.

How does Pegasus get installed on a phone in the first place? Is there any technical analysis of it available?

jethro kiernan 16 Feb 2023

I was thinking of doing exactly that, Edge of Darkness felt really groundbreaking to a teenage me.

Petrafied 16 Feb 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> That program was very interesting for several reasons.

> How does Pegasus get installed on a phone in the first place? Is there any technical analysis of it available?

Tends by be via zero click exploits iirc.This paper does a fairly in depth analysis.  If you can't get the full text then drop me a UKC pm and I'll send you the full pdf.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/9799180

Forest Dump 16 Feb 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

See below! Also found it interesting how it was bandied about as diplomatic sweetener, no different to traditional arms really

Sean Kelly 16 Feb 2023

Watched Dark Water with my better half. Now that was thought provoking. I knew a little about DuPont"s duplicitous disposal of dangerous chemicals,  but not anything about pdfa's/C6 chemical bonds. Mark Ruffalo stars in an absorbing drama. I'll never buy a Teflon pan again.

Tringa 16 Feb 2023

A good programme and I agree about 'Edge of Darkness' - one of the best dramas of British TV.

Dave

Ridge 16 Feb 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Watched Dark Water with my better half. Now that was thought provoking. I knew a little about DuPont"s duplicitous disposal of dangerous chemicals,  but not anything about pdfa's/C6 chemical bonds. Mark Ruffalo stars in an absorbing drama. I'll never buy a Teflon pan again.

Absolutely cracking film.

Blue Straggler 16 Feb 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Read and/or watch A Civil Action. Similar stuff and equally well told. Don't be put off by Travolta starring in the adaptation. He's good with a great ensemble around him. The book is maybe a bit dry, but readable. 
I really liked Dark Water but there was one minor distraction....

Sean Kelly 17 Feb 2023
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I really liked Dark Water but there was one minor distraction....

Now I am intrigued!

Pedro50 17 Feb 2023
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yes do elaborate, I thought it pretty good.

Blue Straggler 17 Feb 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly and Pedro50:

Mark Ruffalo's age and appearance. He's a good looking chap etc but he can not pass for a young lawyer in his early-mid 30s at the start of the film  

Dang. Sean you got ME calling it Dark Water too. It's Dark Waters. Dark Water is a 2005 remake of the Japanese Honogurai mizu no soko kara, starring Jennifer Connelly.

Post edited at 15:46
 Offwidth 19 Feb 2023

Cheers for the heads up. The excellent Edge of Darkness is always worth a rewatch. The Iplayer is linking 2 episodes into one, which confused me a bit. The paired episodes continue for the next two weeks.

wercat 19 Feb 2023

I'd like to see Bird of Prey again (the early 80s "techno thriller" with Richard Griffiths).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...