/ Surprising references in books etc

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
L Slackboot 08 Jan 2020

Just got the recently published autobiography of a climbing icon from the 80's. On flicking through the photos I notice one of my 'Best Man' in a best mate hug with the author. When did that happen? I didn't even know they knew each other!

Have you ever come across photos you didn't expect?

Jon Stewart 08 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

I came across a picture in a climbing magazine that I had no idea had been snapped - I didn't know the photographer from adam at the time (but now I do, he's well known on here). "I've done that route...wait a minute, that's bloody me on it!". A bit creepy, but who complains about getting a picture in a magazine?

Blue Straggler 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> who complains about getting a picture in a magazine?

Quite a few people!

FactorXXX 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Quite a few people!

Depends on the type of magazine... 

Tom V 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

A brochure from the British Heart Foundation had a photo of me wth a little girl riding on my shoulders. Only problem being that I had never given a little girl such a ride and I knew it wasn't me. But no-one , absolutely no-one, believed  me, the doppelganger and I being so identical. I often wonder if he's aged better than me - I certainly hope for his sake that he has.

Flinticus 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

A photobook was produced on the punk scene in Dublin, focusing on the 80s/early 90s.

I was in one of the pics, along with my (twin) brother) jumping around at a gig. 

Was sent a link to it years ago but now cannot trace it.

L Slackboot 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

You would think it would be possible to get a copy of the book. Dont suppose you know what it was called.

Flinticus 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

No idea. I've tried but no success.

The link was probably in an old hotmail account I let fall into disuse a good few years back

L Slackboot 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

You must be familiar with 'The Radiators from Space' and 'The Blades' I guess.

Flinticus 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

Many names I no longer remember: used to see a lot of bands down from Belfast. Went to see Paranoid Visions a good few times. Cowboy Killers...lotsof gigs put on by the Hope Collective. Used to go to The Fox & Pheasant  - saw Babes in Toyland there in 1991 - and The New Inn

L Slackboot 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

You might find www.comeheretome.com on the 1/11/2011of interest. Its about punk and new wave in Dublin. Quite a few pics. Maybe you are there.

Flinticus 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

So what's your connection to the scene?

Flinticus 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

On a similar note, a friend who went to Germany to work in some car plant ended up in a pic used to define 'hardcore techno' or something like that. Early 90s.

L Slackboot 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

None really. Ive never even been to Dublin but my children go there and really like it. I've been reading a bit about it and remember coming across that link. People seem to love it as a city.

Flinticus 11 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

You got a direct link? 

I think the book may have been 'Where were you?' by Garry O'Neill.

I found the email with the link to the photo but its no longer valid. It dates from the same year as the book, 2011.

L Slackboot 11 Jan 2020

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.