UKC

The Beatles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pefa 08 Sep 2019

..... Were the best and still are the best and probably always will be the best. 

End of thread. 

Lusk 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Bollocks.

I give you Oasis.

Sorted.

Tyler 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Wings, the band the Beatles could have been.

OP Pefa 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Who? 

Post edited at 23:24
OP Pefa 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Tyler:

Oh some excellent tracks yes I'll give you that but no...hang on ​​​​​​.... No one comes anywhere near The Beatles.

Lusk 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Mull of Kintyre ... that's your head mashed for the next few hours

nathan79 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Best pop band ever. (And that's not meant in a derogatory way).

OP Pefa 08 Sep 2019
In reply to nathan79:

> Best pop band ever. (And that's not meant in a derogatory way).

Correct answer well done. 

Lusk 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

We are the egg men.
John Lennon was one of the greatest ever.
A Working Class Hero is something to be.

MonkeyPuzzle 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

A few classic songs but by being the originals they weren't really burdened with competition were they? I'll take the Stones, Hendrix, Elvis, Zeppelin, Doors or Velvet Underground over the Beatles any day.

OP Pefa 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> Mull of Kintyre ... that's your head mashed for the next few hours

It's a lovely wee number (if you can stomach the baggy pipes) and I remember sitting around at the hogmanay family knees up the year it came out with that getting played in between Billy Connelly, The Corries, Matt McGinn and Rod Stewart.

But nah nothing and I just want to reiterate  , nothing, compares to The Beatles. 

OP Pefa 08 Sep 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Ffffft !!! 

ppffff !!!

Can someone ban this character please ?I need to report that comment. 

Lusk 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Just been pulling your leg a bit

Couple of my earliest memories are me sister putting She Loves You on the old radiogram and me playing air guitar to the intro of Revolution (b side of Hey Jude) on the comfy chair when she brought it home the day it was released.

Best album - White, by miles.

OP Pefa 08 Sep 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

OK I've composed myself now, so you are putting 6 bands against my one ?? Now I don't remember saying The Beatles were better than everyone else put together.

Hmm ? 

Post edited at 00:11
OP Pefa 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Music to my hears. Ahem

I love it all the early stuff and the late stuff all brilliant. Their music was so incredibly feel good, romantic, hopeful, lovely, simple, complex, original, groundbreaking they had everything and so much more than anyone else. 

Post edited at 00:12
 FactorXXX 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Might be cheating, but have a look at Queen's performance at Live Aid as I doubt that can be bettered...

mark20 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

My grandparents met in the Cavern club in the 60s. "The band were alright, but they'll never make it with a name like The Beatles..."

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Might be cheating, but have a look at Queen's performance at Live Aid as I doubt that can be bettered...

Mmm good one and I can't retort back with any particular one off Beatles concert to compete so as far as that goes perhaps you are right but if The Beatles did do a concert at live aid ..... 

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to mark20:

Lol, Whaow! Not just romantic but a part of history to. I don't know what songs they had then or if they just done covers but that was when Epstein first saw them and was blown away. 

It only twigged with me a few years ago that the name was maybe a play on the word Beat as in The Beat-les, though I don't know if it is but it must be. 

Post edited at 00:34
Lusk 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> It only twigged with me a few years ago that the name was maybe a play on the word Beat as in The Beat-les, though I don't know if it is but it must be. 

It maybe time to listen to this: youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_djIuQ2Cw&

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

You got me thinking of a Beatles track list for live aid maybe -

Whilst My Guitar Gently Weeps, Yesterday... 

Tom Valentine 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

I think that for every Beatles song that is sung in years  to come, there will be an Abba song that matches it.

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

ABBA were great and I'm a big fan - well not that big but Muriel's Wedding was ace- so I went and counted all the songs of theirs that I rate as very good or up to or near Beatles standard and I get 17.

Which is amazing I'll give you that however I have one compilation CD of The Beatles and it has 23 solid classics on it and I have another compilation CD with another 24 belters on it and they both miss out loads and loads more.... 

Post edited at 01:30
 lorentz 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa

> Which is amazing I'll give you that however I have one compilation CD of The Beatles and it has 23 solid classics on it and I have another compilation CD with another 24 belters on it and they both miss out loads and loads more.... 

Reminds me of another Alan Partridge Beatles quote 

What's your favourite Beatles album?

"Tough one. I think I'd have to say, the Best of The Beatles."

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to lorentz:

Lol

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

A musing for a 1984 Beatles live aid set could be-

Hard Days Night,Please please me, Can't Buy Me Love ,A Little Help From My Friends, Got To Get You Into My Life, Help, Twist and Shout, A day in the life, Hey Jude.

Post edited at 06:32
 felt 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Yes, I agree. Staggeringly good. They did every genre better than anything that came after, except for hip-hop and its derivatives, death metal and maybe some other obscure stuff.

coinneach 09 Sep 2019
In reply to felt:

Death metal ?

Helter Skelter . . . 

felt 09 Sep 2019
In reply to coinneach:

OK, Depressive suicidal black metal, Viking metal, or any other of the splinter-splinter-splinter forms?

Siward 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Mind you, I think the Beatles best songs were George Harrison's. Here Comes the Sun, While my guitar gently weeps, Something, as well as a few lesser known ones.

ThunderCat 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

I love the story about the band being asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, and them replying that he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles. 

I hope it was a true story

coinneach 09 Sep 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

Jasper Carrot apparently. . . 

In reply to Pefa:

> ..... Were the best and still are the best and probably always will be the best. 

> End of thread. 

Nobody is the best.

I find ranking bands and films means nothing nowadays.

Sure they were prolific and popular and influential but best ?

And for all time ?   ,  

Nonsense

It's all just personal opinion.

mark20 09 Sep 2019
In reply to felt:

The outro to I Want You (She's So Heavy) has elements of Doom/Black metal about it.

I love the contrast of that with the next track, Here Comes The Sun, and the 2nd half of Abbey Road.

In reply to Tyler:

Clearly some folks aren't Alan partridge fans either

In reply to Pefa:

No.  They're like a later version of Elvis, with the exception of not dying on the lav whilst stuffing their faces with cheeseburgers.

T.

Lusk 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> ..... Were the best and still are the best and probably always will be the best. 

What's your favourite track?

Mine is 'I am the Walrus' by miles, probably all time fave number.
The music itself is nowt to write home about, but the sound it of along with Lennon's acerbic (probably not the right word I'm after, but wgaf ) vocals of the crazy lyrics is just ace.

Andy Gamisou 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

You've obviously forgotten about "The Wurzels" .

Neil Henson 09 Sep 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I love the story about the band being asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, and them replying that he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles. 

> I hope it was a true story

Pretty sure that I have seen that comment on film and that it was John Lennon that said it. 

Tobes 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

The best 2 minutes and fifteen seconds ever committed to tape -

No Reply  -  first track on Beatles for Sale

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Siward:

> Mind you, I think the Beatles best songs were George Harrison's. Here Comes the Sun, While my guitar gently weeps, Something, as well as a few lesser known ones.

Yes these are classics indeed but he didn't do any decent quality songwriting until Rubber Soul in 1965 with the two classics Think for Yourself and If i Needed Someone then there was no holding him back. 

felt 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Last week by chance I caught a great interview he did with Dick Cavett way back in the day. He seems so calm, measured and wise amid all the madness.

youtube.com/watch?v=y_3vs3zFA3E&

Moley 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> End of thread. 

Surely this can't be a thread if you state it has ended before anyone has threaded onto it?

In reply to Pefa:

How about the rutles (of no fixed ability/haircut, here to talk about their trousers)

Surely all time greats 

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Aye that one. It probably influences Trout Mask Replica for lyrics where it is the sounds of them rather than any meaning that matters.

I'm struggling with that question though tbh as I'm a massive fan of all the uplifting hits with the gorgeous vocal harmonies. Then there are all the jump out guitar riffs like I Feel Fine, Day Tripper, Paperback Writer etc. I think I'm more of an early Beatles fan rather than the later stuff though Im crazy about all that to.

The little short songs that drove the girls wild in the mid 60s are the ones I play the most as they just make you smile and boogie around. I fully get the Beatlemania craze and why they blew everyone else away as they were also a dream to look at, pure eye candy. Don't get me wrong though most of their songs were just ordinary other than the big hits. 

Then you get the later introspective experimental tracks that are either mind blowing and groundbreaking whilst sending out the message of peace and love or a bit weak although I prefer the later albums (Rubber Soul onwards) rather than the earlier ones. My favourite track would be a Lennon vocal as well but I can't pick just one out. 

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to felt:

> Last week by chance I caught a great interview he did with Dick Cavett way back in the day. He seems so calm, measured and wise amid all the madness.

I can't believe how honest he was about US TV ads there lol but yes I agree he does come across as wise and very unfazed and relaxed to. 

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Moley:

> Surely this can't be a thread if you state it has ended before anyone has threaded onto it?

It's a thread that's not a thread. It doesn't want to be a thread or see it'self as a thread yet exudes a certain threddyness or threadish type qualities. 

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Tobes:

> The best 2 minutes and fifteen seconds ever committed to tape -

> No Reply  -  first track on Beatles for Sale

Good one and reminds me of For No One (Revolver) brilliant songwriting  

Is this the best psychedelic Beatles track?   Tomorrow Never Knows(Revolver) youtube.com/watch?v=pHNbHn3i9S4&

Or at least most influential ? Was that track the birth of psychedelic song? Later to spawn Jimi Hendrix's psychedelia,The Doors's, Pink Floyd's, Eric Claptons and all the rest? 

Post edited at 15:23
 felt 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

I'd have thought it would be music played at the Acid Tests in 1965; songs, but not as we know it, Jim.

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to felt:

Lol its probably 33 years since I read The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test so maybe you are right as The Grateful Dead were involved in all that but tbh I've never heard one song of theirs so I can't say. Although I will question whether anyone before The Beatles did Tomorrow Never Knows ever captured the feel of the experience and therefor created the first actual genuinely psychedelic track that wasn't just a protesty or lovey folk song. 

Post edited at 16:05
 David55 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

The most over rated band of all time. I  give you the Rolling Stones, the Who, and  Led Zeppelin. 

Tyler 09 Sep 2019
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

> Clearly some folks aren't Alan partridge fans either

50:50 judging by the votes, I sometime forget that not every is. Like the time I "recommended" that some colleagues should stay in the Linton Travel Tavern as they had to go to Norfolk for work, I was shocked when they came back and said they couldn't find it on the company travel booking system!

felt 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Tyler:

That's a real shame, as it's got a cracking view of the A11.

Andy Hardy 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> It only twigged with me a few years ago that the name was maybe a play on the word Beat as in The Beat-les, though I don't know if it is but it must be. 

I heard that the name was arrived at because they wanted to be like the Crickets

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to felt:

A bookmark for a rainy night in. 🙂

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to David55:

> The most over rated band of all time. I  give you the Rolling Stones, the Who, and  Led Zeppelin. 

Yes I agree on The Who and LZ but the RS I could never really take to. But. I'm talking about one band not 3 and the whole package from quality, quantity, overall message, originality, influence, trend setting and feel good factor. 

Beatles win by a mile. 

Moley 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> It's a thread that's not a thread. It doesn't want to be a thread or see it'self as a thread yet exudes a certain threddyness or threadish type qualities. 

Thought you might say something like that, just testing .

Beatles were at their best if one was a teenager and living through the 60s and 70s, waiting for the next album to be released, saving money to buy it and then actually putting it on the record player (no fancy stereo for us in those days) and playing it. Magic.

But also applies to many groups of those times.

In reply to Pefa:

When Paul McCartney was asked what it was like to be in the greatest band ever he replied "I don't know. I wasn't in Genesis" 

Lusk 09 Sep 2019
In reply to becauseitsthere:

Macca's a freak, a poor man's Lennon.

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Lennon thought MaCartney was the family man and he and Yoko were the freaks. I think they were the most creative musical duo in history and part of the greatest band in history. 

tehmarks 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

In the context of musical evolution, they were dreadful. They were the cliff edge that musical complexity and musical intelligence fell off of.

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing I suppose depends on your taste. I've never been a fan - none of their music has ever really struck me as being, well, musical. Far short of inspired.

Removed User 09 Sep 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

I defy you to listen to "Love me do" followed by "A day in the life" and then say they didn't evolve. Most bands dont come even close to that level of evolution. This is not to be confused with liking it.

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

C'mon you trolling? Yes they took from Motown and blues artists but they created many new sounds and many musically unique tracks. I mean they were so diverse going from little quaint ballads to psychedelic masterpieces and churning out classics like no one before or since. 

Tom Valentine 09 Sep 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

I'm no big Beatles fan but if they were "dreadful" for the reasons you claim about  musical intelligence and complexity, where does that put punk?

And before the cliff edge, which bands/musicians were showing the way upwards? In your opinion?

Post edited at 19:31
 tehmarks 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

No trolling. I mean The Beatles aren't the literal end of intelligent music, but they seem to be the catalyst for the end of music as it was before.

youtube.com/watch?v=sAfmDnkJD60&

This is a great video that was doing the rounds a few weeks ago - a guy playing excerpts from seminal pieces of music from Bach through to modern pop. Listening to it, you have to admit that after the beginnings of a slide at the turn of the 20th century with the advent of ragtime, the arrival of The Beatles changed the sound of music forever. I personally don't think it was a good change in that I really appreciate the complexity of what came before in the classic and romantic periods, but that's a matter of opinion. And of course, without that shift a lot of the modern music I really do appreciate wouldn't exist either.

I think the crux of what I'm trying to say is, compare Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 with your favourite Beatles song. They are on completely different levels in terms of musical maturity. But, like all art, the most wonderful part is that music is deeply personal. We can all have different views, and all be right

(For the record, I'll happily listen to mostly anything from obscure French reggae-influenced hip hop through to Mozart - I'm not an elitist classical snob crawling out of the woodwork).

Tobes 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Regarding Tomorrow Never Knows, possibly. Also in ‘66 we got Beach Boys-Pet Sounds, Mother’s of Invention-Freak Out, 13th Floor Elevators, to name a few. I’d have to check the chronological release dates so see who got there first - but it was definitely critical mass for psychedelia around that time.

Removed User 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Tobes:

You appear to have missed out The crazy world of Arthur brown?

pasbury 09 Sep 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Straight to pseud’s corner for you.

Tobes 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

Hence ‘to name a few’

Arthur Browns debut LP came out in 1968 I think - the year in question is 1966 with reference to Revolver, Tomorrow Never Knows and psychedelia. 

we’d be running lists of hundreds of potential psychedelic albums otherwise 

pasbury 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

There are only three; The Beatles, The Fall and Captain Beefheart.

birdie num num 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

You see I’d say that Chris Barber’s Jazz Band was the best band ever.

End of thread

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

It's a good video but don't you think he could have picked modern music ie. 1960+ that was better quality ? I mean Yellow Submarine ? It's a kids song. There are tons better more complex and more beautiful ones from The Beatles to chose from so he is deliberately picking simple ones to make the classical ones appear better. Isn't it also like comparing apples and pears? Tchaikovsky  with Madonna ? 

OP Pefa 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Tobes:

Yes true  but who first captured the sound that all the other greats would go on to imitate? 

OP Pefa 10 Sep 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> There are only three; The Beatles, The Fall and Captain Beefheart.

I am a fan of all three but to what do you refer ? 

OP Pefa 10 Sep 2019
In reply to Tobes:

> Regarding Tomorrow Never Knows, possibly. Also in ‘66 we got Beach Boys-Pet Sounds, Mother’s of Invention-Freak Out, 13th Floor Elevators, to name a few. I’d have to check the chronological release dates so see who got there first - but it was definitely critical mass for psychedelia around that time.

Here's a wee quote from the main Beach boy talking about the influence for Pet Sounds coming from Norwegian Wood (Rubber Soul - Beatles 1965)

Brian Wilson ( Beach Boys) Norwegian Wood’ is my favourite. The lyrics are so good and so creative. I can’t forget the sitar too, I’d never heard that before, that unbelievable sound. No one had heard that in rock and roll back then, this amazing, exotic sound. It really inspired the instrumentation I ended up using for Pet Sounds.”

youtube.com/watch?v=Y_V6y1ZCg_8&

Post edited at 03:08
OP Pefa 10 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Bob Dylan: "They were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid... I knew they were pointing the direction of where music had to go."

In reply to Pefa:

I’ve still got mono vinyl copies of Rubber Soul and Revolver, which my brother bought when they came out. Certainly two of the top ten albums ever made. They were all over the radio when I was a kid, brilliant songs. However my bro (10 years older) brought home Cream’s Disraeli Gears around 67-68, then Zeppelin 1 and 2 and Black Sabbath’s first album when I realised there was so much more out there. At least 4 zeppelin albums would make the top 10. Obvs the best albums are Bowie’s Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust plus the Berlin trilogy.

best band? Over the years it’s morphed through Yes, Zeppelin, Zappa and  Beefheart, at the moment (actually the last 10 years) its probably Megadeth followed by Slayer and Soundgarden, although Tool are coming up on the outside.

OP Pefa 10 Sep 2019
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

When growing up and getting introduced to the music of new bands it is common to get right into their material for a while and have a little phase where they become the latest sliced bread until you move on to the next. I think Rubber Soul showed the way to all bands including Bowie, LZ, The Who etc who would then start to introduce folk numbers into their albums, especially LZ.

Then another expansion was created by the next Beatles album Revolver which introduced the psychedelic sound that practically all the greats would copy especially Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Eric Clapton.

This culminated in Sergeant Peppers in June 1967 and just after that the first global live broadcast around the world to 350 million people of All You Need Is Love. I would go as far as to say The Beatles led the way to the summer of love in 1967 with help from The merry pranksters and Leary.

I think they are the band some like to look back on and dismiss as not being macho or bad enough or being too mainstream and for teenyboppers compared to seemingly wild bands like The Who, LZ, RS, Velvet Ungrd etc. The trouble with that is The Beatles were the ones who broke the trail in the first place from playing in seedy Hamburg red light area clubs to the beat-nik tavern then polished up and set to work within the space of 2 years having 5,000 teenagers wave them off at Heathrow to be met at JFK by another 3,000 teenagers and firing out more top hits than practically everyone else combined from 1962 onwards to 1965.

After that they dictated everything until 1970.They are No 1 in everything from sales to hits for a reason even though its viewed as out dated and unfashionable these days but if you put on one of their albums you will see they are as amazing and even fresh now as they were then. I've just rediscovered how good they are in the last while so I'm going through a wee Beatles phase atm which for some reason I missed in my punk youth which was defined as anti-Beatles. As if they were the establishment when they were the first band to refuse to play concerts in the deep south if they were racially segregated and Lennon said Christianity is finished prompting the KKK coming out to stop them playing then you have the mind expansion and strong messages of love and peace(anti-war). Makes swearing, spiked hair and fast angry music seem tame and missing the point although The Beatles were doing shouty rock themselves but with timeless melodies and guitar riffs.

Pete Shelley ( The Buzzcocks) : “Me and a friend used to get together at school and play along with Beatles records on acoustic guitars. I remember listening to 'Revolution' one morning, and it struck me: ‘Yes! this is what I've got to do!’. So I rushed off to a phone box, phoned him up and said, 'Let's get a band together!’."

Post edited at 15:51
 malk 11 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> Brian Wilson ( Beach Boys) Norwegian Wood’ is my favourite. The lyrics are so good and so creative.

most lyrics flew over my head as a youth. now i find out it's a song about infidelity and revenge arson. wonder if Wilson twigged?

Post edited at 11:45
 malk 11 Sep 2019
In reply to Tyler:

> Wings, the band the Beatles could have been.

ELO were son of Beatles according to Lennon

In reply to Lusk:

> Macca's a freak, a poor man's Lennon.

Like many people I used to feel a bit like that (somewhere around the age of 17 to 20) until I realised he actually wrote as many of the best Beatles songs as Lennon and was actually the creative driving force in the band (they would have released half the material they had without Paul chivvying them to do stuff) so I'm afraid you are wrong. Lennon was always naturally cooler but it didn't mean he was always right.

Are you confusing 'best band' with current favourite?

In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Are you confusing 'best band' with current favourite?

What’s the difference? What is best? Loads of people would say Bob Dylan, and prob has a shout as a songwriter but is downright unlistenable. Who’s best, Mozart or Bach? My answer is Bach, but some weeks Vaughan Williams or Mahler come up on the outside.

btw The correct answer answer was Led Zeppelin until they were supplanted by Megadeth because I think they’re best at the moment 😀

climber34neil 13 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

I thought they were just a bit crap really

I just think the criteria for 'best band ever' has to go beyond what I like this year. Even beyond what I've liked the most for the longest (which would probably equal Led Zeppelin/REM/Talking Heads/Rush(!)/Pink Floyd/Fairport Convention). You have to allow something for impact and influence.

Hard to argue against the Beatles for best band in that case (I note the OP said 'best' but somehow it became mostly about bands) If we start including solo artists/classical composers that complicates matters...

OP Pefa 13 Sep 2019

I see that a massive fuss has just been made because someone called Drake who can't even sing has broken 1 Beatles world record set in 1964 for most hits in the US top 10 at the same time.If you look however at the statistics then you see how big The Beatles were in fact the zebra crossing outside emi studios at Abbey Road has been listed as a site of special historical interest with a 24 hour webcam. 

At the risk of sounding like a geek - 

From 1964 to 1970, the group had the top-selling US single one out of every six weeks, and the top-selling US album one out of every three weeks. 

As of 2009, they were the best-selling band in history, with estimated sales of over 600 million records worldwide.[3][4] They have had more number-one albums on the British charts (15)and sold more singles in the UK (21.9 million) than any other act.[6] As of 2016, they held the record for the most number-one hits on the Billboard Hot 100 (20). Among thousands of cover versions of their compositions, by a wide range of artists, "Yesterday" is one of the most covered songs in the history of recorded music. In 1965, the Beatles were awarded MBEs, marking the first time that such an honour was bestowed on a British pop act. They were collectively included in Time magazine's compilation of the twentieth century's 100 most influential people.

This is an excellent wki page which shows so much more in fact its pretty amazing. They even shifted music away from US bands to British for the very first time and kick started something called the ' British invasion ',now that's the kind of British invasion I couldn't get enough of, an invasion of love and peace which makes me extremely proud to be British. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_impact_of_the_Beatles

Post edited at 16:13
 aln 13 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

I like this version of you. Still opinionated, still feisty, but not being a radge. 

In reply to Pefa:

Hmmm, stats can be a dangerous thing. The White album is the Beatles biggest seller, but comes in behind Shania Twain, and miles behind the Eagles and AC/DC

Shania Twain, Pefa, Shania Twain 😂

Tom Valentine 13 Sep 2019

That won't impress Pefa much....

OP Pefa 13 Sep 2019

From the sublime to the ridiculous,although Your Still The One is up there, yes you get individual stats that will highlight other classics like Dark Side Of The Moon etc but again I'm talking about the overall whole not the just individual parts you know. 

OP Pefa 14 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Is this the best Beatles song ever?

Rain. 

youtube.com/watch?v=cK5G8fPmWeA&

In reply to Pefa:

Pefa, I feel that we need to make the road to glory easier for the Beatles. So, nobody should mention any of the Miles Davis quartets, particularly any containing John Coltrane, or any that produced Kind of Blue, or Bitches Brew. That Billy Cobham couldn’t keep up with Ringo!

you’re welcome  

Blue Straggler 15 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Surprised nobody has mentioned The Kinks as a daring and varied popular mainstream band who , if The Beatles hadn’t existed, probably would be in The Beatles’ place in history 

In reply to Pefa:

Surprised nobody has mentioned The Kinks as a daring and varied popular mainstream band who , if The Beatles hadn’t existed, probably would be in The Beatles’ place in history 

In reply to Pefa:

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Surprised nobody has mentioned The Kinks as a daring and varied popular mainstream band who , if The Beatles hadn’t existed, probably would be in The Beatles’ place in history 

Funny you should mention that because when ever the topic comes up about The Beatles or The Stones I always ask if I can have The Kinks or The Who. 

OP Pefa 15 Sep 2019

> Pefa, I feel that we need to make the road to glory easier for the Beatles. So, nobody should mention any of the Miles Davis quartets, particularly any containing John Coltrane, or any that produced Kind of Blue, or Bitches Brew. That Billy Cobham couldn’t keep up with Ringo!

> you’re welcome  

Ssssh now and no mention of Elvis, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Eddie Cochrane, The Everley Brothers, Chuck Berry, Lonnie Donnigan or even Cliff Richards please. 

OP Pefa 15 Sep 2019

The Kinks are always there when thinking about that period from 1964-1970 for their groundbreaking hits.I mean surely they invented the genre of hard Rock with All Day And All Of The Night and You Really Got Me?

Also apparently they actually influenced The Beatles Norwegian Wood a little after The Beatles first heard See My Friends by The Kinks which I didn't know although I do know the song as I did go through a Kinks phase in my early 20s.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZCSzxkbMri8&

So yes The Kinks were amazing and I'm a big fan with Waterloo Sunset being called the best song the English language ever produced then you have the massive hit Sunday Afternoon that knocked Paperback Writer off the No1 spot and the beautiful song Days that has made me cry numerous times. So I would agree they are hugely underrated although they have won stacks of awards but cannot compete with The Beatles on sales or even for UK No1 hits as The Beatles had 17 and they only had 3 and they were always following in the footsteps of The Beatles. 

Good to see you contributing I was wondering if you would. 

Post edited at 16:54
 Tom Valentine 15 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

The Kinks invented hard rock? 

That's an interesting claim. Jimmy Page will be intrigued by it.

Post edited at 19:20
pasbury 15 Sep 2019

They just weren’t as good though.

Lusk 15 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> The Kinks are always there when thinking about that period from 1964-1970 for their groundbreaking hits.I mean surely they invented the genre of hard Rock with All Day And All Of The Night and You Really Got Me?

Atomic Rooster invented hard rock ... https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2yxnxe

pasbury 15 Sep 2019
In reply to Tyler:

> Wings, the band the Beatles could have been.

I had a listen to Jet, Band on The Run and Let ‘em in. They hit the spot nicely, but no way did they reach the creative heights that the Beatles did.

Maybe I’m Amazed is good but strange, sort of an egotistical song.  

Andy Clarke 15 Sep 2019

> The Kinks invented hard rock? 

> That's an interesting claim. Jimmy Page will be intrigued by it.

The Kinks' power chording significantly pre-dates both Page-era Yardbirds and the formation of Led Zep, so it might well stand up in court. Unlike a number of Zep's own denials of ripping off other songwriters! (Anyway, the man who really invented it was Pat Hare, back in the 50's.)

Post edited at 23:43
pasbury 15 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

No it isn’t but Ringo kicks ass on a drum kit that looks like the one I bought for my son on eBay for 80 quid.

I always liked Hey Bulldog and Taxman.

Tomorrow that might change.

OP Pefa 15 Sep 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Sounds good and reminds me of this Iron Butterfly one In-A-Gadda-La-Vida (1968)

youtube.com/watch?v=Pc9Cv7jODqI&

OP Pefa 16 Sep 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Yes it does change all the time that's true and there are too many perfect songs from The Beatles to choose from but I've got to put an early one or two in from America on The Ed Sullivan Show and at one of their massive gigs at the height of Beatlemania. 

youtube.com/watch?v=b-VAxGJdJeQ&

youtube.com/watch?v=kle2xHhRHg4&

Lusk 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

I'm starting to think that you need some Zappa introducing into your life ... Oh yes babe, keep it greasy!

OP Pefa 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Lusk:

I've never heard any of his stuff tbh. 

FactorXXX 16 Sep 2019

Jimmy Page, the paedophile that has got away with it...

OP Pefa 16 Sep 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

Thanks for that info but that's another separate thread methinks, ye know? 

Post edited at 01:15
OP Pefa 16 Sep 2019

In reply:

A pal told me last week but I forgot, that the only proper musician in the Sex PisTOLs was fired for saying Paul MaCartney was a bass player he looked up to. I don't know if it's true but it does show the anti-Beatles theme in some punk bands at the start of the punk era in the mid 70s 

Post edited at 01:24
Lusk 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> I've never heard any of his stuff tbh. 

Enlighten yourself girl!!!!!!

Joe's Garage Act 1 is a good starter.

Andy Clarke 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> I'm starting to think that you need some Zappa introducing into your life ...

Just in case you haven't seen, Zappa Plays Zappa are touring here later this year, with a set that features a complete performance of Hot Rats. I'm booked to see them in Birmingham. Not a bad lineage as tribute bands go! 

It's generally accepted give or take an American Garage band.

In reply to Lusk:

> Enlighten yourself girl!!!!!!

> Joe's Garage Act 1 is a good starter.

Only a bloke would say that!

Tom Valentine 16 Sep 2019

I hadn't realised they started so early in the decade. 

It was a pretty amazing song considering the year. 

Lusk 16 Sep 2019

> Only a bloke would say that!

Most probably.
But the legendary Central Scrutinizer says one of the best lines in the of rock music history ...

"She was sucking cock backstage at The Armory, in order to get a pass to see some big rock group for free..."

Still makes laugh after hearing it for the first time 40 years ago.
Infantile, most probably, but that's me!

coinneach 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Lusk:

See also “ Live at the Fillmore”

” Sheik Yerbouti”

OP Pefa 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Aw! Keep it clean please.

The BBC banned “I Am the Walrus” for its lyrics “pornographic priestesses” and “let your knickers down.” In 1967 and surprisingly Vladimir Putin's favourite Beatles song is Yesterday I would have predictably thought it would be the opening track on side 1 of The Beatles (White album) 

Post edited at 19:09
In reply to Pefa:

And probably approaching it from a different angle, as in

"Rock Stars who have NOT had sex with an under age person"

OP Pefa 16 Sep 2019

I agree but that is an entirely different thread ye know. 

In reply to Pefa:

You're right, and all the Bowie fans would get indignant.

Lusk 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Nowt wrong with discussing fellatio

Lady Chaterley's Lover was banned at the time for mentioning "... the strange weight of his balls ...", or something like that.

Thankfully, we've moved on.

OP Pefa 16 Sep 2019

In reply:

I haven't heard many Beatles covers but so far this one by Joe Cocker is the best as he improves it, for me anyway. 

youtube.com/watch?v=bkdjMxTdrU8&

McHeath 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

I've read the whole thread, and can't believe that George Martin hasn't been mentioned once! Without his genius there'd simply have been no Beatles as we know and knew them.

OP Pefa 16 Sep 2019
In reply to McHeath:

> I've read the whole thread, and can't believe that George Martin hasn't been mentioned once! Without his genius there'd simply have been no Beatles as we know and knew them.

Really? I did read about him adding things to tracks and guiding them but I didn't realize he was that influential. 

Andy Clarke 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

With reference to Beatles covers and who invented heavy rock, check out this instrumental by Jeff Beck, for me the best guitarist to come out of the Yardbirds

youtube.com/watch?v=hHHY3eRUMsM&

McHeath 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> Really? I did read about him adding things to tracks and guiding them but I didn't realize he was that influential. 

He met them in 1962 and thought them unpromising, but loved their humour. He brought them down to Abbey Road Studios for a day and ended up producing all their albums, after having thrown out Pete Best. He was responsible for the amazing  orchestrations, showed them new harmonies, put the string quartet into "Yesterday" (Paul McCartney was initially against the idea until he heard George Martin's arrangement), and basically fully ignited the musical curiosity and creativity in at least three of them   - the revolutionary sound of the "Sergeant Pepper" album was entirely his work. Open a good bottle of wine and spend an evening on YouTube watching the interviews and archive material of the recording sessions, you won't regret it!

Post edited at 00:54
 felt 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Niiiiice.

In reply to Andy Clarke:

The Yardbirds set the bar very high, producing Beck, Page and Clapton. All very different guitarists. For Pefa, George Martin also produced the seminal albums ‘Wired’ and ‘Blow by Blow’.

I’ve caught videos by a really wide range of guitarists (Yngwi Malmstein, Steve Vai, Alan Holdsworth etc) who rate him as in the mix for greatest ever with Hendrix. When Clapton was asked ‘what’s it like to be the world’s greatest guitarist?’, Clapton replied ‘you need to ask Jeff Beck’

OP Pefa 17 Sep 2019
In reply to McHeath:

> He met them in 1962 and thought them unpromising, but loved their humour. He brought them down to Abbey Road Studios for a day and ended up producing all their albums, after having thrown out Pete Best. He was responsible for the amazing  orchestrations, showed them new harmonies, put the string quartet into "Yesterday" (Paul McCartney was initially against the idea until he heard George Martin's arrangement), and basically fully ignited the musical curiosity and creativity in at least three of them   - the revolutionary sound of the "Sergeant Pepper" album was entirely his work. Open a good bottle of wine and spend an evening on YouTube watching the interviews and archive material of the recording sessions, you won't regret it!

I never knew he was a musician I thought he was just a producer. Oh good there are YouTube videos on Sergeant Pepper(A legendary album) I will definitely look them out although I couldn't find A Hard Days Night film on there last week when I looked. 

OP Pefa 17 Sep 2019

I never heard those albums before but I will be checking YouTube for them later on and for more Jeff Beck cheers. 

Harry Jarvis 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

For early Jeff Beck, listen to 'Truth'. It's an astonishingly good album. 

Andy Clarke 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> I never heard those albums before but I will be checking YouTube for them later on and for more Jeff Beck cheers. 

A good place to start is this marvelous cover of a Stevie Wonder tune. Surely one of the most beautiful guitar solos ever recorded. Up there with Little Wing. Astonishing control of vibrato and tone. Fretwank free. 

youtube.com/watch?v=IriEq4H1XSU&

OP Pefa 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Will do thanks for the advice it's now on my list when I get some me time.

Post edited at 21:49
OP Pefa 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Yes that has something special I don't know what, maybe take another listen or two to get to love it but it has that something.Jimi Hendrix was No1 on a guitar i think. 

This is turning into a Jeff Beck thread lol

Post edited at 21:49
OP Pefa 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

From my early childhood In the late 60s to early 70s the only Beatles songs I remember hearing were Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da from a 60s album my Mum and Dad had, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Get Back, Yesterday, Here Comes The Sun and All Across The Universe as soundtracks for that period to me. 

I won't link to them as they are there in all their glory on YouTube but they all made an emotional or memorable impact on me at an early age especially All Across The Universe which I only just found out was a Beatles song. 

Mike Stretford 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/26/the-beatles-singles-ranked

Like the way Love Me Do is put into context here:

20. Love Me Do (1962)

It is hard to imagine how raw and unique Love Me Do sounded in late 1962, in a singles chart dominated by “yodeling” Frank Ifield and Acker Bilk: the writer Ian MacDonald compared the impact of its dry, northern British sound to that of kitchen-sink realism in cinema and theatre. That said, the Beatles would swiftly outstrip the song’s simplicity and modest charm.

Post edited at 14:41
 felt 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Mike Stretford:

I like the way the genesis of the Byrds is attributed to one short passage of Harrison guitar work on A Hard Day’s Night.

felt 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Anyway, to get back to Jeff Beck ...

mbh 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Went to see Yesterday on the boat back from France a few days ago. Really enjoyed it. 

The premise is that the world suffers a cosmic electric storm and warps into another universe where the Beatles didn't happen, so no-one knows anything about them except, as a plot quirk would have it, a struggling singer-songwriter who realises an opening the he sees one. 

It is a charming film. Imagine someone now coming out with all the Beatles songs and you had never heard them before?

OP Pefa 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Mike Stretford:

It's also a good quality rundown of their UK singles to except he doesn't give The Ballad Of John And Yoko a good review when it is a lovely upbeat song. His descriptions of the songs and music are very good. 

OP Pefa 26 Sep 2019
In reply to mbh:

I hadn't heard of it so thanks I'll see if it's on Netflix for a watch especially if they do lots of Beatles songs. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...